Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The new 50mph instead of 60mph Regional roads are gonna create way more accidents.

• 26-01-2005 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

These particular roads i happen to use daily, is like driving on a completely different route since the new limits. I never seen all this overtaking before on any roads. ts like a complete transformation of the traffic. I guanantee there will be more deaths on these roads with these hideous new limits and expect to see way more head on collisions. I see at least 2 "just about made it" incidents each day and way more risky overtakings that I used never witness on these roads.

I travel these roads daily. 7 days a week, between work and college.

While i fully agree with the new 50mph limit on "country" roads,,, regional/main roads should not be 50mph surely??? The regional roads i travel on, could take 2 cars alongside each other on each lane , and theres even a yellow lined strip to the side for walkers, ect..... You could pull in at the side no bother. My point is, ITS A WIDE ROAD. And in no way dangerous!

And now its 50mph. Its a fookin disgrace. Even the general average drivers both women and men, and basically everyone finds it hard to drive at this crawling speed on perfectly wide roads.

Heres what i now see everyday: Way more overtaking and jamming on. Some ppl sit at 45mph,,, and then a convoy forms,,, then someone risks overtaking 3 cars in one go, and the amount of near misses ive seen is Unbelieveable. People are frustrated being stuck behind 2 cars at 45mph and overtaking on bends and everything.

Then theres ppl that dont know what speed to do, 1 min there sitting at 50, then up to 60 then back to 50. A nightmare to drive behind over a long distance. Then ppl overtaking at 70.
    If they had of left the speeds at 60 which is a safe avgrage speed by any measure on these roads, it would have made sense, the way it had done.

Personally i just stick to the old 60mph, and watch out for the cops.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

rander00 wrote:

Exactly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wow rander00, yet again you tone your comments in such a way that even if you had valid points, people would still be inclined to disagree with you for being an opinionated loudmouth.

While I agree with you that the new "80kph" speed limit is wholly inappropiate for some of the roads to which it's been assigned, most of your post points to problems caused by plain old fashioned bad driving, not the speed limit. I've been dangerously overtaken many a time whilst driving at 60mph.

And for the sake of a little pedantry, 60mph was the maximum speed at which you were meant to drive, not the average speed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Jaysus christ!!
    While I agree with you that the new "80kph" speed limit is wholly inappropiate for some of the roads to which it's been assigned, most of your post points to problems caused by plain old fashioned bad driving, not the speed limit. I've been dangerously overtaken many a time whilst driving at 60mph.

My point is, there is way more overtaking going on now. Whilst in the "old days", you wouldnt bother overtaking a lad going at 60, cause 60 was fast enough for most of us. But if ur behind a lad at 50, you will be more inclined to overtake. And many overtake 2 yokes in 1 go now.
    And for the sake of a little pedantry, 60mph was the maximum speed at which you were meant to drive, not the average speed

Errrr, i know that. I meant an aveage of 60 by keeping the limit as 60, as opposed to 50, or realistically 70 as ppl now have to do to overtak a car travelling at 50.
    :)

Ps: Please dont smile at me you ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Much as I am loath to agree with someone who threatened to break my legs :D:D, I think Randers point is valid, ie that while there will always be muppets dangerously overtaking no matter what the speed limit, their number has increased dramatically due to frustration at the new lower limits. I don't think he's saying their right to do it, just that they are doing it more. His route is arguably more dangerous now with the lower speed limit. Its bringing out the muppet in more motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

rander00 wrote:
    I never seen all this overtaking before on any roads. ... way more risky overtakings that I used never witness on these roads. ...

My point is, ITS A WIDE ROAD. And in no way dangerous!

How is it dangerous to overtake if the road is at least two cars wide ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

rander00 wrote:
    While i fully agree with the new 50mph limit on "country" roads,,, regional/main roads should not be 50mph surely??? The regional roads i travel on, could take 2 cars alongside each other on each lane , and theres even a yellow lined strip to the side for walkers, ect..... You could pull in at the side no bother. My point is, ITS A WIDE ROAD. And in no way dangerous!

What are you doing driving a tractor at 60mph on a regional road in the first place???

I mean really, it's all moan moan moan with you farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I drive a lot (all day) on these types of roads. The slower driver causing accident's whilst I know it seems a valid point it's not. I have often overtaken people on such roads to find they are behind me 10 miles later at a Q at a cross roads. So there is no point thinking it slows you down it doesn't. People seem to take the actions of other drivers so personally these days. People make mistakes, They are not doing it to annoy you. Why would anyone treat their own lives and the lives of those around them so cheaply , as to initiate a bad overtake. The person in the car in front of you is a mother/ father /daughter/son of someones. When you overtake there is a lot at stake. Turn the radio up enjoy the music and relax you'l live longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

damien.m wrote:
    How is it dangerous to overtake if the road is at least two cars wide ?

because overtaking is just about the most dangerous manouevre you can do on the roads, wide or not.
    the types of roads he is talking about, both R and N roads are notorious for head-on accidents because people will take chances overtaking that they would not on a narrower road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was thinking of bitching about this because one of my favorite back roads has been changed to a 50 zone, but after about 30 seconds of driving it I realised it made no difference anyway cos you'd never see a cop on it. How many people will take a blind bit of notice of an unenforced ridiculously low limit? After a bit of time people will get used to it and drive at a more reasonable speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

rander00 wrote:
    Ps: Please dont smile at me you ****.

That's way out of order, rander00. You've previously been warned. You are out of here. Goodbye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Thats a little unfair - Stark called him an "opinionated loudmouth" - thats would make anyone a little angry...just my 2 cents - please don't ban me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

That's way out of order, rander00. You've previously been warned. You are out of here. Goodbye.
    I'm with DukeDread - either moderate fairly (i.e. punish all who personally insult) or don't moderate at all! Besides it was the funniest thing I've seen all day!!

stratos wrote:
    The slower driver causing accident's whilst I know it seems a valid point it's not. I have often overtaken people on such roads to find they are behind me 10 miles later at a Q at a cross roads. So there is no point thinking it slows you down it doesn't.
    Sorry stratos - have to disagree with you here from experience. This debate dopesn't centre around getting where you'r going faster, its about driving at an appropriate speed. People get very infuriated while driving behind slow moving vehicles and while they may not be losing that much speed, they feel as though they are. I have very rarely seen a near miss that didn't involve a slow driver in one form or another. Generally these come about in 2 forms: Either the driver drives slow and erratic, leaping on the brakes at every corner or when a car comes against them at night causing following cars to nearly get involved in a pile up or it happens when some moron driving on the centre line at 40 or 50 (mph) causes a convoy to build up behind it. Eventually people go nuts with road rage (it's inevitable!) and take chances overtaking on stretches they ordinarily wouldn't even consider....

If you dont believe me - try driving the stretch from limerick to clonmel on any friday night and you'll come across any amount of examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

I agree that 80kmph is too slow for many excellent R Roads. I also agree that this will inevitably lead to more overtaking which I think is the most dangerous manoeuvre in driving. Speed limits should be all about safety and when the limit is counterproductive and safety is compromised then the speed limit must be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I think a lot of these roads with the new 80kmph will be changed to 100kmph in the coming months. County councils have been given the power to change speed limits such as these. The new limits must remain in place for 3 months from the date of their introduction but then the councils will be changing these good stretches of roads to 100kmph as they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

so your point is that there are muppets who can't stick to the new limits and are consequently risking their lives and more importantly other peoples lives to get into the next tailback a liitle quicker.

Your title is misleading in this case. It is the dangerous drivers who are gonna create ay more accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Generally these come about in 2 forms: Either the driver drives slow and erratic, leaping on the brakes at every corner or when a car comes against them at night causing following cars to nearly get involved in a pile up

That's usually the fault of the driver behind for driving too close to the driver in front. I was driving home the other night in the rain at bang on the speed limit (technically I should have driven at slower than the speed limit to allow for bad conditions) and I had a car driving bumper to bumper with me from behind half the way home. (He also had his main headlights on meaning it was very difficult for me to use my main mirror). He was so close I couldn't even do the slowing down/braking trick to give him the hint ,he would have crashed into me in a second had I slowed down the slightest bit. His kind of behaviour is not uncommon on Irish roads.

The point is, there's no call for blaming slow/erratic drivers for pile-ups, you always have to allow safe distance between yourself and the car in front for any eventuality. In fact the driver in front of you may even be driving erratically to piss you off for driving so close to him, I know loads of people who do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Boggle wrote:
    I'm with DukeDread - either moderate fairly (i.e. punish all who personally insult) or don't moderate at all! Besides it was the funniest thing I've seen all day!!

I wonder is post count or amount of time the person has been registered taken into account before a banning or warning. Clearly in this case Rander has been warned previously and was on his final warning so its not unfair to my mind. On the other hand, I was called a puff and a moron by a senior poster (who is named after a rodent :D ) and while the thread was closed to prevent a flame match and also because it had run its course, the poster in question didn't get as much as a reprimand?

so your point is that there are muppets who can't stick to the new limits and are consequently risking their lives and more importantly other peoples lives to get into the next tailback a liitle quicker.

Your title is misleading in this case. It is the dangerous drivers who are gonna create ay more accidents.
    No its people who dont want to be stuck behind some prick doin 45mph that will get killed - not necessarily someone who wants to speed.
    stark wrote:
    The point is, there's no call for blaming slow/erratic drivers for pile-ups, you always have to allow safe distance between yourself and the car in front for any eventuality. In fact the driver in front of you may even be driving erratically to piss you off for driving so close to him, I know loads of people who do this.
    ??? Not sure to start with this crap. Have you ever driven a non-dual carrageway road at night or are you just talkin to make wind?? Erratic drivers are lethal... You just said that its okay for a car to jump on the brakes at any moment then speed up and then jump on the brakes again!

You are talking about tailgating - not erratic driving. What I am referring to (and ye all know it:) is the auld bitch driving home in front of you at 50 mph who jumps on the brakes at every hint of a corner or oncoming light slowin to 30 before racin back to 50 - all the while sitting on the white line so you cant overtake... The kind of person who is afraid to drive a car but because you dont have to prove you can drive to get a license is still permitted on the roads...

Besides these new limits are about revenue generation - not about saving lives. If they wanted to save lives there would be more gards checking for speed on the backroads late at night...

Stark wrote:
    That's usually the fault of the driver behind for driving too close to the driver in front. I was driving home the other night in the rain at bang on the speed limit (technically I should have driven at slower than the speed limit to allow for bad conditions) and I had a car driving bumper to bumper with me from behind half the way home. (He also had his main headlights on meaning it was very difficult for me to use my main mirror). He was so close I couldn't even do the slowing down/braking trick to give him the hint ,he would have crashed into me in a second had I slowed down the slightest bit. His kind of behaviour is not uncommon on Irish roads.

Here we go again.
    Yes, tailgating is wrong and dangerous.
    So is driving erratically to piss someone else off.

Why is it so many Irish motorists believe they are members of the traffic police with a duty to correct the faults they see in others by committing equally dangerous manoeuvres?

Stupidly low speed limits on good stretches of road make a mockery out of the whole system, as was already said the chances of getting caught on most R roads is virtually nil anyway so the majority of motorists will just end up routinely ignoring a large amount of speed limits.

• Advertisement

Boggle I agree with what you are saying, what I am getting at is why should it be so. The same people who would probably hold open a door for you, turn into intolerant terminators behind the wheel. Why is this ? For my own part I'm no evangelist, it took me a while to cop on. Hey I'm gettin' older. It still amazes me to this day meeting an overtaking car on the wrong side of the road, he puts the boot down when an abort was so easy. I have had to stop dead in the middle of the road a few times for these people. They go by feeling smug, " I showed him ". They are next months statistics.

Lol. just to add the only car that ever thanked me with a wave and an embarrassed smile for stopping dead, to allow them to flit back in, on a blind bend was a toyota corrolla police car :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A couple of times I've come to a dead stop and pulled into someone's driveway to get out of the way of an overtaking lorry. If I had to do that for a car I'd be ready to explode with rage. But I'm reasonably sympathetic to lorry drivers as I know the speed limiter makes overtaking difficult for them.

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just happened to be up in Monasterevin this morning.....heading back in the Portlaoise direction I decided for a change of scenery to take the 'old' road i.e. the N7...I notice the max speed on it is 80kph....I presume its still the N7 and I thought N roads were supposed to be 100k's......wouldn't mind but I counted 11 vehicles on the road between Monasterevin and New Inn.....could have had a game of football in the middle of the road !..

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

The National route is now the motorway. The old N7 through Portlaoise, Newbridge and Naas was renamed R445 when those bypasses were built so I'd guess the old road through Kildare and Monasterevin has the same number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The National route is now the motorway. The old N7 through Portlaoise, Newbridge and Naas was renamed R445 when those bypasses were built so I'd guess the old road through Kildare and Monasterevin has the same number.

.....Ah......thanks for info.......

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

whart about leitrim the only n road is the n4 other roads upto manorhamilton for example is a really wide road a lot of it is dead straight and wider than some n roads the 80 kmh limit is really really stupid. brought in by people who don't have to drive in areas with no n roads (or ministerial mercs which seem to be exempt from any speed limits or parking laws)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

whart about leitrim the only n road is the n4

That's not quite true - there's the N16 as well (Blacklion-Manorhamilton-Sligo).

Dermot

mackerski wrote:
    That's not quite true - there's the N16 as well (Blacklion-Manorhamilton-Sligo).

Dermot

Which is for the most part an awful road, far worse than the R roads from Manorhamilton to Carrick-On-Shannon.
    But thanks to the arbitrary rules it now has a much higher speed limit.

• Advertisement

This is what I am getting at why would You "explode with rage". It's just driving you got to make allowances. there are people who drive a lot, and the general driving public. it's up to us the people who drive a lot, to watch out and and make allowances for the the people who potter around a bit.

Advertisement