Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrier just mauled my cat!!!

• 26-01-2005 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

just got home from work to find a terrier had mauled my cat :( ...saw the spot where it happened, cat managed to get himself boxed in with nowhere to go....ALOT of blood on the walls and ground....hes in the vets now overnight....we'll see in the mornin how bad things are...in fairness to the dog owner, he called the vet straight away...

question is should i be suggesting this dog be put down....i know dogs chase cats....but this was a savage attack and while he's around the cat can't be let out again...i'm no dog hater but is it normal for a dog to savage a cat like this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Absolute nonsense. Dogs rarely get the better of cats..cats are faster, more agile....this is why you don't see that many attacks. Believe me if dogs could catch cats they'd all be savaged. Your cat was unlucky to get caught in a corner like that but there is no way the dog can be blamed. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

just one of those things, i don't think it's a reason for the dog to be destroyed.
    cats can be very aggressive towards dogs, so maybe your cat started it ??

anyway, i hope the cat recovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Gryzor wrote:
    just got home from work to find a terrier had mauled my cat :( ...saw the spot where it happened, cat managed to get himself boxed in with nowhere to go....ALOT of blood on the walls and ground....hes in the vets now overnight....we'll see in the mornin how bad things are...in fairness to the dog owner, he called the vet straight away...

question is should i be suggesting this dog be put down....i know dogs chase cats....but this was a savage attack and while he's around the cat can't be let out again...i'm no dog hater but is it normal for a dog to savage a cat like this??

One of our cats got bitten on the back by a dog. It did survive coz I was about the house and brought it to the vet. Don't know which dog did it. Last summer a neighbour had 2 dogs in their back garden. Apart from the damn whining, one dog got into my garden and couldn't get out. If it happens again, I'll be reporting them: a dog has to be on a leash when out and it also has to be kept in a secure environment. I used to have a dog. It's not the dog's fault just some fool who took on more than they bargained for.
    So yes dogs do attack cats. I do know a few people who have both a cat and dog in a house with no major problems. They do fight, but so do kids and our 2 cats have their own hissy fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

yeah i didn't think so....rush of blood to the head!!!

cat didn't start it...dog went ballistic when he saw the cat...pulled the lead out of the owners hand and just went for him..was the first day we'd left him out for a decent lenght of time aswell...sniff sniff.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gryzor wrote:
    If he manages to get a hold of the cat, yes many dogs will do some serious damage. Some other dogs wouldn't actually know what to do.
    A bit like cats and mice. If the cat manages to get a hold of the mouse, he'll serously injure the animal, then taunt it and play with it. This is the same thing, just on a larger scale.

Remember that it always looks like there's more blood than there actually is :)

Hope your cat gets better soon.

• Advertisement

well the cat didn't make it through the nite...RIP.. :( didn't think i was this attached to the little furball....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Sorry to hear that Gryzor. It's hard when you lose a pet, mainly because you're so used to seeing him around. The way you lost him can't be nice either. Sorry man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

aw jeez gryzor, sorry man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sorry to hear about the cat :(

Don't think there's anything you can do with regards to the dog though. Dogs and cats fight, if the dog had attacked a person it'd be different but it's natural for dogs and cats to fight. If a cat got in a room with someone's hamster/guinea pig/bird it would do the same.

finally met the owner last nite....didn't mention putting the dog down....did say that the dog shouldn't be out with anyone who cant control him...there were 2 kids out walking him at the time of the attack and they just stood there crying as it happened.......not blaming them, but if there was an adult there at the time...probobly wouldn't have been as bad as it was.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Wow gryzor, I'm really sorry to read your story.
    I'll never forget when neighbourhood kids frightened the stray cat we adopted so much tha she hid her newborn kittens in the bushes in the end of the garden. A guy walking his dog passed by on the other side one awful day. . . I still want to catch the owner of "the butcher dog" and break every bone in his ignorant body for standing by.

I know its nature's way etc, but I can't stand by and watch my cats murder little wild mice, let alone someone else's pets while the kids are being ushered into the house screaming in terror.

B*stard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

ah god thats crap,will u be ok?dogs can be really vicious..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That REALLY is awful Gryzor!! There are dogs in all the gardens surrouding my house. So far, my cats haven't gone further than my garden (and I should stress the "so far" bit). I dread to think what might happen if they stumbled into another garden.

It does sound a little vicious though! I know it is nature for a dog to chase after a cat .. but to break the lease and devour it. Never heard of it before, but I suppose .. if some dogs go for humans like that , then they do for cats the same. Unfortunately, its not seen with such importance that the poor cat didn't make it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Once a terrier gets a hold of a cat (or another animal for that matter) and the blood is up they are virtually impervious to pain so there's not a lot a cat can do about that. That's why terriers in particular should always be kept under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Sorry to hear what happenned, poor cat, hopefully the dog owners will be more responsible in future.

don't think the dog owners gave a sh*t tbh, saw the same 2 kids out walking the dog on their own again during the week...dog decided to cross the road, just dragged the kid accros with him....."Control" i don't think so tim... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Gryzor, really sorry to hear about you losing your pet.

Terriers are big on testosterone, and all animals should be kept under control by their owners at all times. That's why I don't wash with this "all dogs chase cats" thing. If your dog takes off after something, it's up to you to call the dog back. If it ignores you, then you have a problem controlling your dog right there.

I think people still think that a dog chasing a cat is funny - a lot of the time because the cat does get away, and the rest of the time because lots of people don't like cats. However, egging a dog on when it's chasing anything's a bad idea - you're just encouraging it to do what comes naturally when it catches whatever it's chasing, which is to take it down, bite it, wool it and generally do a hell of a lot of damage to it.

If you can't call your dog off a cat, could you call it off another dog, or an old person, or a child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is a legal requirement to keep animals under control. Clearly allowing a young child out with the dog, who's not strong enough to hold the animal, is negligence on the part of the owner. I don't advocate for a second putting an animal down when an owner fails in their duty, but I would get some advice as to what you can do, what complaints you can make. See if you can get a video of said child being walked by the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

I think people still think that a dog chasing a cat is funny QUOTE]

Really sorry to hear about your cat..... its an awful thing to happen!!
    There was a man that lived a few doors down from me who had a serious problem with me and my boyfriend, each day he would bring his two dogs to our house and basically let them chase our cats out of the front garden, this man was a psycho! I confronted him one day, i was sick of it one of our cats was nearly 16 years old! His reason for doing it was "we constantly had people coming in and out of our house" I was straight onto the dspca and he was visited and warned, he still kept doing it right until the day we moved out!
    There are some assholes out there with animals!!

Advertisement