Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on bike(s)

Options
  • 26-01-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp;jsessionid=7155A26F066F6250BD1757AF0D544601.tomcat2?style=4835

Guys,

May I have you opinions please,

I am looking for a run around bike, something comfortable and reliable (little bit stylish)! Doing about 3-5 hours a week on average on country roads. Budget is open however spending big is'nt an attractive idea to me.

Also I'm 6'1" and 16 stone (not all on the belly ;) ) so a 22" frame??

Is this a good buy? or what would you recommend....

Thanks Lawdie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Enduro

That seems to be a grand run-around bike alright. For your height I'd guess that the 20" would be closer to the mark. Look around a few shops locally and see can you find something similar and try it out for size. Then buy online unless they price-match. (Evens is a good site. I know several people who've picked up bargains there).

Word of warning... Don't buy this bike if you intend to do any mountainbiking. It's designed to be a comfortable run-around on the roads, but no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Thanks Enduro, I'm definitely not going to take this off road!

The main usage is cycling up to training (I drive two miles to training!!) and leaving the car at the house when going locally (i.e. shops).

My concern was taking from another thread around (getting what you pay for...), the bike will be garaged etc

Another silly question, does the bike come flat packed or fully assembled?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

typically the bike will be virtually ready to go, just straighten the handlbars and put the pedals on the right way.

Bikes from evans usually arrive in their bike (carboard) box. Pedals and handlebars will not be attached (for obvious transportation reasons). You can put on the pedals by hand (make sure you put the left pedal on the left crank etc. And they screw on in opposite directions). You don't need to tighten them hard with a spanner as they are design to self-tighten when peddling (or more accurately, to not loosen when peddling). Usually the handlebar will just be attached to the stem by a clamp held with 5mm allen key bolts. Any decent bike multitool will have a 5mm allen key. Just do the obvious and put the handlebars centrally into the clamp. The handlebars have a bit of vertical rise and sweepback (look carefuly at the picture) and the gear shifters/brakes usually angle downwards at about 30 - 45 degrees. Do up the allen bolts nice and tight (no need to go overboard). The whole thing should take no more than 2 or 3 minutes to assemble.

As far as your use of it, and getting what you pay for, its a good bike! As I was saying in the other thread, get it good and used/old looking ASAP, to make it a less attactive target for theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fonzy Mc Elvis

heres a thought.... why dont you show some cop on and just buy it without having to ask peoples opinion about it? and no one cares where you go on it why would they?

ta!

unconstructive abuse - only view if you want. Just someone missing the entire point of boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

heres a thought.... why dont you show some cop on and just buy it without having to ask peoples opinion about it? and no one cares where you go on it why would they?

ta!

I disagree

it is much wiser to ask people "in the know" a few questions before making purchase, generally once you buy something you get to learn all the good points and bad points pretty quick

i see its your first post so welcome to boards.ie, now piss off

Fonzy, you're some eejit. Since other people's knowledge is clearly of no use to you, why don't you do the logical thing lock yourself into a sealed room alone.

Advertisement