Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drawer rails ? ....

Options
  • 27-01-2005 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

We have these two bed units that we purchased from Dan Natura in Dublin about 3 years ago. The store appears to be out-of-business [no answer to the phone and the store in Clonshaugh is closed].

The bed units include some drawers for clothes etc. In the centre of the bed unit is a large drawer about 1 metre x 80cm or so. Quite large.
    To cut a long story short - on both bed units the rails have come apart and need to be replaced. I know the cause of it (poor design and less than solid assembly) and will be able to strengthen the units whenever I can get replacement rails.

I've been to Noyeks, Woodies, Atlantic, Brook Thomas, B&Q but could not find matching rails. They need to slot into the drawer on either side where there is a slot about 1cm wide and 5mm deep.

Can anyone suggest other places to look ? I can give very precise measurements and supply scans/photos to whatever place might be able to supply.

promised the wife that I'd fix this months ago... with a couple of Ireland away matches coming up I'd better get my skates on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Try one of the kitchen outlets - they might have something that you could gunter up. Failing that, could you put the drawer on castors and just roll it under the bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

shabbyroad wrote:
    We have these two bed units that we purchased from Dan Natura in Dublin about 3 years ago. The store appears to be out-of-business [no answer to the phone and the store in Clonshaugh is closed].

The bed units include some drawers for clothes etc. In the centre of the bed unit is a large drawer about 1 metre x 80cm or so. Quite large.
    To cut a long story short - on both bed units the rails have come apart and need to be replaced. I know the cause of it (poor design and less than solid assembly) and will be able to strengthen the units whenever I can get replacement rails.

I've been to Noyeks, Woodies, Atlantic, Brook Thomas, B&Q but could not find matching rails. They need to slot into the drawer on either side where there is a slot about 1cm wide and 5mm deep.

Can anyone suggest other places to look ? I can give very precise measurements and supply scans/photos to whatever place might be able to supply.

promised the wife that I'd fix this months ago... with a couple of Ireland away matches coming up I'd better get my skates on...

What do you mean by "rails".....Drawer guides / slides might do. They're meant to fit into cut-outs in sides of drawer. Unbelievably cheap as they are only straight pieces of nylon / plastic...Panelling Centre.
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

sounds like they're just slats of wood or something.... could you not just cut some wood to the right sizes? then rub a candle along the edges to get a bit less friction...

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

You could try Frank Flanagan Fittings (www.fff.ie). They have some very good mechanic rails for drawer units. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be on the website. You will probably need to visit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

thanks everybody for the replies. they're metal slides. one side screws to the drawer while the other side screws to the unit. the two slides glide on small ball bearings.

I'll check out some of those links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

shabbyroad wrote:
    thanks everybody for the replies. they're metal slides. one side screws to the drawer while the other side screws to the unit. the two slides glide on small ball bearings.

I'll check out some of those links.
    Just PM'd you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Thanks Lex - very generous offer.

Borzoi - your post got me thinking. We have a futon with a similar drawer underneath it. I bought some castors in Atlantic yesterday and sorted it out in less than an hour.
    Wife & kids are very pleased and I get to chill out surfing internet all day today without so much as a sideways glance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

shabbyroad wrote:
    Thanks Lex - very generous offer.

Borzoi - your post got me thinking. We have a futon with a similar drawer underneath it. I bought some castors in Atlantic yesterday and sorted it out in less than an hour.
    Wife & kids are very pleased and I get to chill out surfing internet all day today without so much as a sideways glance :-)

Nice one! Glad I could help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

as I offered them to shabby, if anybody has any use for about 60 pairs of what he describes above, I have them going spare Free of charge. Don't know what anybody can do with these but shabby would have had a use for them.
    They are being binned here at work, simply because they had to be changed out for safety reasons...all in perfect working order.

Advertisement