Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diy household alarm

• 27-01-2005 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

have been looking around on the net ( ebay and google ) for a home alarm kit anyone have any suggestions as to which brand of system to get etc. am thinking of the screwfix direct stuff here - any opinions ?

thanks

ps really confused about one thing though - some companies sell door switches that cost like 2 quid - and others at about 25 - there must be 2 different types of switches - can anyone set me straight
    thanks
    bob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Would a self installed alarm qualify you for the discount on your house insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

rob1891 wrote:
    Would a self installed alarm qualify you for the discount on your house insurance?
    No discount if the person that installed it is a certified installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Eurorunner wrote:
    No discount if the person that installed it is a certified installer.

Royal and Sun aliance did this year for my sister on first policy with that company. Full and frank disclosure and detailed description of alarm system given to them. Suprised me too, as they were told how old the system was ( 10 years plus) and the KEY ( not number keypad) panel did not conform to IS 199 , but did meet bs 4737 which although is an alarm panel ,I think 4737 was old british fire panel standard....So you never know

t

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

does anyone know anything about diy burgler alarms here ??? :rolleyes:

i dont really care about house insurance to be honest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have an Aritech CS350 6 zone control panel with remote keypad in th ehouse for the last 9 yrs and never had a problem with it. I'm going to fit one in the next house in a few months time. Guy in work here is going to help me install it...I get all the stuff from Best Alarms in Crumlin.

Is the house pre-wired?

• Advertisement

Is the house pre-wired?

no - i was going wireless

ps do you have a url or phone for that alarms place in crumlin

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

bobmurphy wrote:
    does anyone know anything about diy burgler alarms here ??? :rolleyes:

i dont really care about house insurance to be honest ;)

I have fitted a few in my time ,,,never had a problem....what do you want to know...PM me for phone contact

Have dealt with Bests, sundrive rd...nice people...O toole, John and johnaton
    t

tapest wrote:
    I have fitted a few in my time ,,,never had a problem....what do you want to know

.....which brand of system to get etc. am thinking of the screwfix direct stuff

or this crowd .

also was thinking that maybe at some stage in the future i could install a security camera inside or outside the house ( i know these can be worked from pir's ) but i thought that it would be valuable to have a camera come on when an alarm was triggered ( so that i could either video it or monitor it via the net ) -- thus i am wondering if any of the controlers out there on the market would have an "external" slot that would allow an event ( in this case turning on a camera ) if the alarm was triggered

mad question i know but i'm just asking in case there is such a device in common usage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi, I install alarms for a living. Why dont you get the Astec two wire system, its so easy to install and its very reliable. They are on Pearse street in town.Eveything is two wire, The bells, keypad, zones and beams. You cant go wrong.
    If you want some more advice on installing this system or any other send me an email niddge@eircom.net. Only install good proper equipment and dont go near Argos!
    The Aritech wirless stuff is good but its also very exspensive, A good engineer can wire a house with very little cable showing, We go to great lengths to hide cables and make them less noticable. Good luck.

also can anyone tell me whether i can rig my smoke alarms/ heat detectors in to the alarm in such a way as to get the alarm to phone me if there's a threat of fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bobmurphy wrote:
    Is the house pre-wired?

no - i was going wireless

ps do you have a url or phone for that alarms place in crumlin
    01 4920000

bobmurphy wrote:
    also can anyone tell me whether i can rig my smoke alarms/ heat detectors in to the alarm in such a way as to get the alarm to phone me if there's a threat of fire

Yes you can rig smokies up to your alarm, You can use a voice module to ring you up and it will play a prerecorded message. The alarm will ring intermittently when there is a fire activation.

Yes you can rig smokies up to your alarm, You can use a voice module to ring you up and it will play a prerecorded message. The alarm will ring intermittently when there is a fire activation.

when i'm buying an alarm (kit) is there something that i need to look out for in the panel to allow me to rig in the fire alarms or is it all down to a wiring technique ?

If your getting the astec system then order a 63dv kit. That will give you six zones and three PIR imputs. On the board there is a standard phone connection this where and how you record your messages (two messages can be recorded) You simply connect a standard house phone into this and record your message.
    There is also another hard wired connection for giving the panel the phone line itself this is a permanent connection.

If your getting the astec system then order a 63dv kit.

house is not wired so it's gonna be wireless - is that kit wireless ??

also i am not really bothered to put a sensor on every door and window - just a couple for access points - so i would like to have about 5 or 6 pir sensors ( i think ) --- it's a 2400sq ft bungalow ( almost standard layout ) - what do you think ?

thanks for help

ps would i have to have wired smoke alarms to do this because i dont !! :(

bobmurphy wrote:

also i am not really bothered to put a sensor on every door and window - just a couple for access points - so i would like to have about 5 or 6 pir sensors ( i think ) --- it's a 2400sq ft bungalow ( almost standard layout ) - what do you think ?

thanks for help

No its not a wireless system. If its a bungalow your doing it should be easy to wire through the attic.
    The aritech wirless isn't that easy to install if your not a professional but its good. Expect to pay alot of money for the wirless stuff.
    You can get wireless smokies too but you are always better off hard wiring if you can.
    I must really recommend the astec system, It uses two wires for everything, and its so easy to install for a beginner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The Astect alarm is a joy to install. I've been using it here and there for the last 4 years. The only problem I've had is the Led's on the Bell box tend to fade and die on the earlier system. I have the 63D system in my own house.
    Its a pity they don't have a wireless system because I'm in a bit if a dilema at the moment. My folks got thier house gutted recently and the builder forgot to re-wire it for an alarm. As far as I can gather he was hoping the folks would get a phone watch system.
    Anyway my question is other than Aritech is there anyone else supplying wireless alarm systems? Can you get HKC wireless system?

You can use a stand-alone reciever and connect it to the astec panel iv done it many times in work and its simple. Get a reciever from Aritech called a "quick-bridge" reciever and get your wirless sensors and contacts for it. You can give me a ring and ill talk you through it if you want :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

gumboots wrote:

thanks for help

with a house of that caliber dont mess around with wireless crap, go wired aritech, will give u a lifetime of reliability low maintainence and security. trying to save pennies when ur house costs half a million + is crazy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fdisk

Have a look at the Comfort system - Full alram system with interactive dial up - system wil lphone you if the alram is triggered, will let you listen to what is going on in the house, and reste the alarm if you want to. Will also integrate with lighting and a full suite of home automation products.

http://www.comfort.org.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Just bought an aritech cs250m (m for Metal casing) to put this wireless system in the folks house. DO I need to put the pcb they gave me into separate housing or can I attatch it to the metal case? Seems like the maual is missing a diagram for the metal box. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

With the metal housing you should have got the seperate housing for the receiver. The larger plastic housing is the best as it has a place on the lid for the receiver & pop outs for the aerials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

hi all,
    I have recently installed my own home alarm with all the standard features, remote keypads, movement sensors, window/door contacts, remote dialler etc - just wondering is it possible to get it certified in order to submit to my insurance co. for a discount???
    any info appreciated
    thanks
    MC

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You really should be starting a new thread insted of digging up a 5 year old one.
    Anyway.
    You would need to get a licenced company out to look at it. They may need to do some work on it before certifying it.
    Also remember you will need to get it serviced annually to maintain that standard.

Advertisement