Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you donate your body for medical research?

• 27-01-2005 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Inspired by that other thread about the anatomy program on TV I was wondering if anyone else like me is going to donate their body to medical science when they die?
    As a side note if anyone knows how to go about it would they contact me, thanks.

Will you donate your body to medical science when you die? 34 votes

Yep let em slice, dice and analyse.
    0% 0 votes
    Not a chance, am bein buried with all me giblets still intact.
    61% 21 votes
    Atari Jaguar.
    38% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Inspired by that other thread about the anatomy program on TV I was wondering if anyone else like me is going to donate their body to medical science when they die?
    As a side note if anyone knows how to go about it would they contact me, thanks.
    Only as long as it involves cryogenic freezing and being reawakened in the future. That, and that alone, would be cool.
    Cutting me up for TV ratings would not be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Evilution wrote:
    Only as long as it involves cryogenic freezing and being reawakened in the future. That, and that alone, would be cool.
    Cutting me up for TV ratings would not be cool.

I dont mean for TV ratings, this poll is a general poll, like my body is going to Trinity to train med students.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I dont mean for TV ratings, this poll is a general poll, like my body is going to Trinity to train med students.
    I was being general. Its Cryo or no-go for me.
    I'm not big on operations as it is.
    You'd really donate your body to science? Wow, here's a question for you - would you donate your body to charity? As in give you a lethal injection and send you out to be used as food for hungry people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

most of the med students i knew smoked dope. enuf said.

Precisely. Would you want your dong used as a bong? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Die young, leave a beautiful corpse...to science? Doesn't sound quite right...

There'll be nothing left of me after i shuffle off this mortal coil, except ashes. I'll be burnt on a funeral pyre - oldschool style:
    Push me out to sea on a death-ship, flames licking my body, surrounded by gold and weapons...
    "dignified in death even as the flames flit around her bier and the smoke obscures her outlines..."
    Ah yes.
    Dippping me in preservative and keeping me in a giant fridge-freezer 'til, austin-powers-liquid-goo-phase-like, i am defrosted to show a bunch of gormless students how to slice open the aorta without spraying the room with gore seems, somehow, less...elegant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

dont they just use 3d models intstead of the old cadavers these days?
    theyre too hard to come by so they gave up.

even that gunther von hagens fella got done for nicking bodies out of czech morgues a few years ago iirc.

Morrigan wrote:
    to show a bunch of gormless students how to slice open the aorta without spraying the room with gore seems, somehow, less...elegant.
    There wouldn't be an accompanying spray of gore because you'd be dead and your heart would have stopped. They'd merely get a congealed mess that looks like licorice coming out of your veins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I voted yes. My body's no good to me once I'm dead! Unless I wanted to come back and walk the night with the rest of the undead.. but I really hope that doesn't happen.. really.

K.

Evilution wrote:
    There wouldn't be an accompanying spray of gore because you'd be dead and your heart would have stopped. They'd merely get a congealed mess that looks like licorice coming out of your veins.

mmm...licorice... :p

• Advertisement

Morrigan wrote:
    mmm...licorice... :p
    I'm thinking thats the same sort of mindset cannibals had in the early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

If by medical research you mean donating my still-living body to female supermodels (who part-time as sexual researchers) for repeated and prolonged experimentation aimed to determine the maximum level of pleasure a body can experience then my answer would be.......hmm, let me think....ah go on then, my love of science will justify the sacrifice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well I voted yes, I've been on TV before and loved it, and I'd do it again.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

I've wanted to my gorgeous body, often admired by the ladies, to science for a long time now.

I'd imagine what is involved is leaving a will and contacting a local college etc.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2004/02/18/story401046060.asp

seansouth wrote:
    Well I voted yes, I've been on TV before and loved it, and I'd do it again.

:D
    What TV programme were you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Evilution wrote:
    What TV programme were you on?
    Blackboard Jungle, for my sins

:eek:

I used to study anatomy before I errr left Trinity Dental school to get on with something more productive. It was the most interesting thing I've ever done and a privilege which I would like to return to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Once dead this flesh isn't going to be much use to me... I think organ-donation / research should be opt-out, not opt-in. But I'm not sure Ireland is at a level of thinking to allow this just yet.

Evilution wrote:
    I'm thinking thats the same sort of mindset cannibals had in the early days.

in the early days, yes.
    Now it's alot more complicated - meet in an internet chatroom, agree to meet and saute the willing victim's 'bits' (not in a club orange sense, at least i hope not) and both slicer and slicee delicately appreciate them accompanied, no doubt, by a glass of chianti etc.

Anyone hear Rammstein's 'Mein Teil'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Burn me to a crisp with everything inside tbh.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    Once dead this flesh isn't going to be much use to me... I think organ-donation / research should be opt-out, not opt-in. But I'm not sure Ireland is at a level of thinking to allow this just yet.

I'm not so sure about this, personally I am strongly in favour of donation, I cant donate my organs but will gladly donate my body for research.
    Freedom of choice should exist and opt-out is akin to compulsory for uninformed people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Uninformed or misinformed (ie. that it makes a difference)? I know that's a matter of opinion, but if you choose to believe that slicing up your cadaver will have some negative repercussions, you can opt-out.

I don't think that subtracts from freedom of choice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd have no problem but only to a university or non-commercial organisation. Under no circumstances would i agree to any company being able to sell the results secretly for profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I cant donate my organs

Do you mind if I ask why?

I'd certainly donate my organs sooner than my entire body, seems a bit more important. Then again, there's always the nightmare scenario of being in a "waking coma" and having doctors pressure your family cos there's a little 8 year old girl waiting on your liver..eesh, scary..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

After watching "Anatomy for beginners" on Channel 4 I'm not quite so sure if I would or not.

Remember Billy Connolys jokes bout all that!?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm dead, what would i care, i intend to give my body for science....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Pet wrote:

I'd certainly donate my organs sooner than my entire body, seems a bit more important. Then again, there's always the nightmare scenario of being in a "waking coma" and having doctors pressure your family cos there's a little 8 year old girl waiting on your liver..eesh, scary..

I'm of a similar mindset as that which this is a reply too. If I become a Organ Donater, while all worthwhile its still a statistical game. I get in accident, 30% of my survival, but 60% chance of someone else with my bits, I'd like those 30% odds. Don't come back and you'd be dead you won't need them etc, you cant harvet a corpse, body must still be "live" in order to harvest, otherwise the 4 minute brain rule kicks in, little bit longer than 4 minutse for most organs I know, but still short enough.

As for dead dead, I'd have no problem with my shell being sliced or diced for learning purposes, hey hang me on a hook and test balistic trajectory, become one of Q's test subjects!!!

But no soylent green thanks!!

Pet wrote:

It has to do with my medical history. I cant donate blood either, nor can my gf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Blub2k4 wrote:
    It has to do with my medical history. I cant donate blood either, nor can my gf.

blast these vampires, who can't donate blood, hehe

Had to go with the Atari Jaguar on this one, because... Jaguar Rocked!!!
    Tbh though, I woudl have to consider one thing to give this an answer.
    If I had an unusual illness and died from it, in this case I would say 'Hell yeah' but if I woul ddie of age or an accident of somewhat, well... something more 'usual'. then I don't personally see any value in my body.
    Not interested in some students poking around in that what I left behind, but that's because I don' t like most students, period. Allthough I would then again offer Organs for donation if it could save someone's Life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think I like Morrigan's idea of cremation by funeral pyre actually... I've always said I'd rather be cremated than buried. When you think about it, graveyards will eventually be made illegal: they're the ultimate waste of space. So, anyone want to invest in my planned crematorium? It's a growth market and we can achieve wonderful symbiosis by taking on some contract killing on the side... ;)

Advertisement