Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

WinXP will NOT boot!

• 27-01-2005 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hi
    i turned on the pc with winxp pro this morning and it wouldnt go past the dos menus..it stoped and said:
    could not start windows couase the following file is missing or corrupt:
    "\windows\system32\config\system"

and to boot the xp disk and choose repair to fix this problem
    ..i did so, but when i press repair, it just leads me to a dos menu and doesnt go any further.

i had this prob before xmas and it p!ssed me off so i formatted and reinstalled windows, but i dont know why its happening again.

the only this both instances have in common is i was updating the osngs on my ipod around the time, but that makes no sense.
    can any1 help?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane™

First thing you should do is enter HELP, this gives you a list of cammands, there is one to replace the file from the CD, sorry I can't remember the command, I deleted my boot.ini file a while back and thats how I fixed it.

If you feel confident, look yourself, or even better if somebody knows that name of the command they could pop it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

the command your thinking of is "sfc.exe" stands for system file checker
    run it as "sfc.exe /?" first of all to get a list of switches you can use with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

i tried that, but it wont accept sfc.exe or sfc or sfc.exe /? as a command

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

try booting into safe mode with command prompt and then run sfc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane™

stagolee wrote:
    try booting into safe mode with command prompt and then run sfc

I think he's in the command console (correct me if I'm wrong) and can't get into any type of windows

Found this and this. Both of which tell you to try help. Can't remember which command I used, but if you type HELP "Command name" you get help on that command, and other functions of it.

BOOTCFG that's what I used found that here

But that was because my boot.ini file was gone, might work for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

thanks, will try them when i get home later

Advertisement