Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent 2-d games for a PS1

Options
  • 27-01-2005 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

Any good 2-d games like R-type or shinobi for a PS1.
    I haven't played games for years, and was just given a ps1 that was being thrown out.
    I remember when the PS1 came out there were good 2-d games like streetfighter alpha, all my mates got 3-d games like tekken saying "why would you want 2-d when the ps is capable of 3-d".
    PS1 is brutal at 3d, end of story.

give me addictive 80's arcade games anyday. I love mame but have no PC at home.

All have is bomberman and want a tetris clone
    Any recommendations.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You will have your worked cut out since most 2D playstation games are very rare put usually well worth it because they are brilliant.

The best of the bunch is Castlevania Symphony of the Night. It combines the classic gameplay of Castlevania and the open ended play area of metroid. It's in my top 10 of best games ever and ranks highly in all website and magazine polls worth their salt. Its brilliant. However its rare and usually goes for a rather high price.

As for R-type games, R-type Delta is one of the best shooters ever created. Gorgeous graphics and fantastic gameplay. Its also rarer than hens teeth.

Another good shooter is Einhander. Its another fantastic shoot'em up. Great soundtrack, graphics, score multiplier system and gameplay. Not that hard to find at a cheap price but is only in NTSC format.

You could try and find Rapid Reload, an early contra clone that was seriously under rated.

Soukyugurentai is great but the saturn version is far better. Not that hard to get for a decent price.

For RPGs the best to try are Suikoden 1+2 (hideously expensive) and Grandia (3D towns and dungeons but very old school).

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

thanks I will have a look.
    Rtype delta was listed as $72 on ebay! and then another $10 post
    A Uk seller has it too though.
    Should be able to pick some up in town

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm afraid you won't find them in town. I know because I've looked. The ones I found I bought about 4 years ago. There are no decent PS1 games available in town any more. There are only mary kate and ashley games and the second hand selection is devoid of any classics for about 2 years since most have been bought up. If I found them again I'd buy them since they go for so much on ebay. 72 euro for R-type delta is a very good price unfortunately. Good luck in finding them. Thge only one that I have listed that should be at a decent price is einhander. The others are expensive but are worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have Einhander and R-type delta also myself but would not part with the originals.

Other 2-d - ers, would be games like Heart of Darkness, Rayman, Tomba, Oddworld 1 and 2 etc... there are a good few but tend to be forgotten a bit ! The only tetris one I ever have was some disney magical tetris or some such nonsense, I am sure there are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Einhander is excellent :)

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote:
    Einhander is excellent :)

That there should be considered a sign of its excellence since it's the only shoot'em up that I got Praetorian to play and he actually liked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I picked up Strikers 1945: II in a Game 2nd hand bin a year ago. Other than that I never, ever saw good 2d games in Irish stores. They turn up on ebay but cost a bomb.

Alot of the best 2d Playstation and Saturn games are arcade ports. The cheapest option in the long run is probably a modded Xbox and MAME.

Alot of the best 2d Playstation and Saturn games are arcade ports. The cheapest option in the long run is probably a modded Xbox and MAME.

Not really. The really good new arcade games run slowly so aren't that great on the xbox. Also during the PS1/Saturn era the arcade board of choice for 2D games was the Sega STV board. The STV board games are either not emulated at all or partially emulated (as in it gets to the title screen and crashes). I've a modded saturn which is great because of all the perfect STV game conversions. The choice isn't great on the PS1 because the arcade board and Sony hardware was terrible compared to the saturn hardware for 2D games.

However Neo Geo, I think, CPS1 and maybe CPS2 games and below should be fine on mame for the xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The STV was the dumping ground for pretty much all of Sega's worst titles. Radiant Silvergun and Columns 97 are the only AAA titles on it. The other 40 or 50 are appaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

rubadub wrote:
    Any good 2-d games like R-type or shinobi for a PS1.
    I haven't played games for years, and was just given a ps1 that was being thrown out.
    I remember when the PS1 came out there were good 2-d games like streetfighter alpha, all my mates got 3-d games like tekken saying "why would you want 2-d when the ps is capable of 3-d".
    PS1 is brutal at 3d, end of story.

give me addictive 80's arcade games anyday. I love mame but have no PC at home.

All have is bomberman and want a tetris clone
    Any recommendations.
    The 5 Capcom Generations collections have the 80s stuff you might be after, like Ghouls n' Ghosts, Ghosts n' Goblins, Mercs, Commando etc.

R-Types, with R-Type 1 and 2.

Donpachi (Japan only).

Rolling Thunder (Possibly Japan only).

There's a Midway compilation with Smash TV and some other stuff on PS1.

There's more, but I just can't recall...

• Advertisement

I think you can get Salamander Deluxe Pack for PS1 in Japan.

Oh, and Gradius Deluxe Pack and Gradius Gaiden.

...and most of those games you can try out with an emulator before getting it for PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i paid €10 for r-type delta in gamestop about 4 months ago. my jaw hit the floor when i seen it. one of the good things about big chains and the idiots employed by them, they wouldn't know what to price the good **** at :)

Take note rainbow kirby :)

Have to agree. I picked up some stupidly rare games 3 years ago in the second hand section of Game and Gamesworld for stupidly low prices. Its a pity they are all gone now. I did see a copy of Vagrant Story less than a year ago in Game on Henry Street for about 15 euros. And I also remember seeing samba de amigo in box with maracas for about 40 before. Wish I had picked it up at the time.

The STV was the dumping ground for pretty much all of Sega's worst titles. Radiant Silvergun and Columns 97 are the only AAA titles on it. The other 40 or 50 are appaling.

Thats probably true but the shoot'em up developers loved it since it could handle a ridiculous amount of sprites and scaling/rotation effects. Raizing/8ing had some great shooters including Battle Garegga and Soukyugarentai both of which i'm playing at the moment. There are a few others as well but are more obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Take note rainbow kirby :)

I did see a copy of Vagrant Story less than a year ago in Game on Henry Street for about 15 euros.
    You probably don't want to know what I paid for Vagrant Story then... 4.50.

You probably don't want to know what I paid for Vagrant Story then... 4.50.

I wonder who set that price :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DiscoMouse

I had no idea Delta was so rare- I picked it up for 11 Euro in Game.

Street Fighter Collection is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thanks for all the advice.
    I picked up R-type delta yesterday for €11 delivered on ebay.

That capcom generations sounds good. I saw a midway collection too with toobin and klax.

Salamander and gradius also sound good. Will Jap and US games work on a pal ps1? Or do I have to do the same trick opening up the player like with copies?

I was in town and found nothing. One place had at least 20 copies of kournikova tennis, and millions of wwf games. I always found it strange how there were so many bad games made, but more surprising that they were bought!

Boot discs might work with PAL PS1 for imports. Can anyone confirm this, because I'm not sure? Hopefully they'll work fullscreen with no borders.

Rolling Thuder is on Namco Museum Encore. That's about the closest thing to Shinobi on PS1, I reckon. Hard game!

Gradius Deluxe Pack is Japan-only, about $20. Gradius Gaiden is also Japan-only and about $25.

Capcom Generations can be got for PAL PS1, but I don't like PAL games. They're slow. The imports might be a better option. If can get a boot disc and your first import runs fullscreen, fullspeed etc. then you're laughing.

The whole problem is you can't just walk to the shop and buy these games. You have to get them from abroad.

Boot discs work for most games but I wouldn't bother. They sometimes have problems with games and its a pain swapping discs. Get it chipped. it's very cheap to get it done now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement