Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defending Defending Defending

Options
  • 27-01-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    I have a pain in my arse with crap defending when I'm playing with teams who have great defenders i.e chelsea or arsenal.

Example - Playing as Chelsea last night vs Liverpool. They play a thru ball to Baros and Gallas tracks him, then Gallas stops allowing Baros to get 2-3 yds ahead. I can either chase him and cream him thus losing a player or get the goalie to rush out. Baros does a lovely lob and scores.
    The problem is, why do the defenders sometimes stop when tracking an attacker. It is extremely annoying.

I always set the defenders not to attack and set them to high in the defensive option, but yet they go forward and leave massive holes at the back.
    Could this be because I have auto attack for the team?

Kdjac, I know your gonna read this so can you tell me what defensive strategy you use? Do you man mark players? do you use the auto attack function?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Keyzer wrote:
    Guys,

Kdjac, I know your gonna read this so can you tell me what defensive strategy you use? Do you man mark players? do you use the auto attack function?

Tis simple (check my goals conceded in the league :D ) drop a midfielder deep practically sitting between the CBTs and use him to harry the attacker, he wont get it often but he sets up the player for an easy tackle by the defender. The defence will always drop back ensuring you have at least 3 players between attacker and goal. Also is a good spot to launch your counter attacks using that mid. If you have a set formation use the full backs for the harrying , but someone must force him into the 2 CBTS for an easy tackle.

But sometimes they will get tru and you just have to hope they miss some of the misses i have seen (Eringobrath on 6 yard box with Raul and noone in goal somehow managed to hump it over the bar, no clue how he did it) you wil caught on the break if you over commit but hey thats football.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

What about auto attack? I think this might be giving my defenders the encouragement to go forward, which I don't want them to do. I want the back four to stay put. I was hit on the break last night and ferreira was miles up the pitch, roaring at the telly I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Fairly sure auto attack does give them licence to run up the pitch. Might want tocheck that CB Overlap is off in your Strategy too.
    Also make sure your left and right back defenders have very low attacking values then, people like Carlos have a habit of runnning and up and down and leaving the back door open.
    I'm sure you can change the RB and LB to CB's as well in a 4-4-2, though I'm not sure if that puts any more restriction on wheter they run up the pitch or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Auto Attack was the problem my friends....
    Turned this option off and set attacking to normal.
    Set Makelele as DM (with defending set to high), between the defenders and the midfield of Tiago and Lampard (with attacking options for both midfielders set). Robben and Duff on the left and right set as RWF and LWF and Drogba up front. The defenders now stay where they are supposed to stay, causing problems for my opponents i.e attackers have no where to go so the attack breaks down and I start a counter.
    Playing as Chelsea and hammered Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid and AC Milan (all on 5*), let in 2 goals in 4 matches against some of the best teams in the game.
    I am a happy chappy....

Advertisement