Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

USB in Laptop

• 27-01-2005 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When I plug anything into any of my USB Ports it is never found. Looked in device manager and it says they are working fine. Its an Advent Laptop and running XP professional.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

What are the devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

have you installed sp2 recently as i have heard of problems with USB after installing it, you will need to removed/uninstalled the usb drivers and install the latest version of the drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Thanks for the reply.
    I have added a pic. Hope this answers your question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

I'd the same problem too, i put the Utilities/Software cd u get with laptop back in, and reinstalled the usb 2.0 drivers. Hope it works for u too.

Peace Out,
    Mr SugarDaddy LoverLover Man (shaba) :D

xzodia

AS for reinstalling new drivers, I dont know what drivers I can use. I have done a search for USB drivers for an Advent on the web and can find nothing.

• Advertisement

AlienGav

Bought the laptop of some dodgy PC shop which is now out of business. Got no cds with it unfortunately. Its an advent 7040 so if anyone has the drivers out there please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Sorry foxy. Struggling to find those drivers unfortunately :(

The best I can come up with is this :

http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/Layout.aspx?CatID={75e3e909-7542-46ba-8bfc-3f3bdfddfedb}&ID={2f3d8ff4-be76-457f-b89e-b2b9688a8358}

This has a link to :

http://www.dsgrecovery.com/cgi-bin/DixonsOnlineStore.storefront/41f8f99c00775536273fc0a81c1406c1/Catalog/1005

If you put your model number in search it takes you to this :

http://www.dsgrecovery.com/cgi-bin/DixonsOnlineStore.storefront/41f8f99c00775536273fc0a81c1406c1/UserTemplate/13

Where you can order an update cd for a fiver

Quote:
    Model No. Product Description Price
    ADVENT 7040 UPDATE CD KIT - ENGLISH
    £5.00

It may be worth sending them an email, or calling them to see if it has all the drivers you require before you order a cd. Other than this, those drivers are like gold dust! :mad:

AlienGav

Hey thanks for your help with this. I'll check out that site and see what I can get. In the meantime if anyone has the drivers let me know.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

You dont mention what your plugging in to the usb. If its mass storage device then more than likely your problem is how your drive letters are applied. Right click my computer and click manage. Go to disk management and check to see if your device shows up here. Right click and change drive letters and path's and use an unused drive letter (One you've never used) and reboot and see if it works!! This sorted me on my laptop. Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I seem to be having the same problem. Any time I plug an installed USB device (an iPod, iRiver and Canon digital camera), the following message comes up:
    USB Device Not Recognized
    One of the USB devices attached to the computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.[/b]

The OS is also WinXP SP2.

The devices work perfectly, and connect to Windows 2000. In the Device Manager USB Root, the devices are registered as Unknown Device.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the USB controllers many times, although I haven't updated the software from CD or anything, even though in properties, it says the ports are working perfectly.

By the way, the computer is a Gateway laptop. Brand new. Still using factory-installed software.

• Advertisement

All USB devices act the same, Mouse, Pen Drive etc.

If they are in the machine when I boot up they are recognised but otherwise they are not

Advertisement