Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Bye Biddy!

Options
  • 27-01-2005 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

It was fun while it lasted, but no more confusing Biddy with the truth... :(
    The UK Capita Group Plc ("Capita") announced this morning that it has signed a major contract with Ireland's leading provider of fixed telecommunications, eircom, worth approximately €20 million (approximately £14 million) over three years.

Capita will provide a managed services solution for eircom's outbound customer call centre located in Dublin. This centre focuses on campaigns to grow eircom's broadband and added value telephone services.

Under this agreement, Capita will take over responsibility for 200 call centre staff in the existing telesales centre, located in Dublin. Under TUPE (Transfer of Undertakings for Protection of Employment), existing staff have the option to transfer to Capita.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1000274.shtml

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Christ, now we'll have a raft of biddies with less pay, less time, less responsibility, and grudges against just about everyone and everything in the known universe. God help us all.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

dahamsta wrote:
    Christ, now we'll have a raft of biddies with less pay, less time, less responsibility, and grudges against just about everyone and everything in the known universe. God help us all.

adam

Ditto on how I feel :( Not good news.....And what an amazing track record - well done eircom!

http://www.computerweekly.com/Article110143.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

managed services solution for eircom's outbound customer call centre located in Dublin. This centre focuses on campaigns to grow eircom's broadband and added value telephone services.

Outbound. So is this pure telesales people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Shame really, I got a very nice digital cordless phone out of them for free last year, after I proved that they were guilty of inertia selling. They wanted me to post it back, I told them they had 3 months to come and get it...and it is still in my house 15 months later...

Mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Oh god, not crapita.

For those who don't read Private Eye, Capita (or Crapita as they are called from here on) are the biggest "services outsourcing" group in Britain - running everything from callcentres to council housing to... you name it. They are universally HIDEOUSLY stupid. And expensive. Costs generally tend to double in the first year, while staffing levels fall through the floor and the service being outsourced breaks down.

If you thought Biddy was incompetant before, wait til you see what crapita come up with. Threatening dead people with eviction is a specialty of theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've got a slogan for 'em already:

Capita. Biddy Cubed.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Forgive my ignorance but, who's Biddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

jor el wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance but, who's Biddy?

Not sure if you're for real, or taking the mick .. but just in case .. Biddy is a general term used for middle aged "old" civil service type people, who are often about as productive as your average ice cube in a kettle. More recently it's become the term for the same said type of person who have made their way in to the call centres of eircom, via P&T and Telecom Eireann. Not very motivated to do anything, Biddy is a member of a union, and is not locked into many (any?) productivity or quality related contracts of employment. If you meet Biddy on the phone, you'll know. She's not necessarily rude, but she gives the impression that if you have a problem, you should thank your lucky stars you have a phone line at all (whether it's working or not is irrelevant)...... you get the picture.

To be fair (and to turn this away from a libellous post), eircom do have some people who are vary capable and intersted in your problem. They do, however, have quite a few who aren't. It's not an eircom only thing (except that Biddy is more likely to have ended up there, because of her civil service past). So Biddy is defined by her past, and not by her skills. It's just coincidence that her skills are pretty minimal, and nothing to do with the job at hand.

.. guess who's just off the phone to eircom (again)?

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ah, as in an old Biddy. Now I see. I was thinking of Biddy on Glenroe, or that annoying blonde bítch on the ads on TV.

I've never had to ring Eircom support, except once when I got disconnected for not paying the bill, but I must have been talking to Biddy's nieve young daughter as she was actually very helpfull and all was sorted in minutes. This was about a year ago though.

I guess you learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Jor el in eircom shocker...
    jor el wrote:
    [eircom support person] was actually very helpfull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Folks,

Biddy is transferring to the new company under the same T&C's as they currently have with Eircom/TE/PTT. Capita have also agreed to recognise the CWU. So if you thought things were bad before just imagine what they'll be like now. The worst of both worlds :)

M.

Advertisement