Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The judiciary let us down again - cork rape case

• 27-01-2005 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Your man in the Cork rape case today gets only 4 years.

What justice is there in that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Welcome to the Irish legal system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's ridiculous. Just read it on RTE news here. And he plead not guilty too, there should be some minimum of like 10 years imposed on him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

in cases of violent premeditated rape i beleive the perpetrators should be given a mandatory 10 years AND be made serve the full sentence, i have the unplesant suspicion that the evil sod in that case wont even serve four

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is only one thing that can be said to that. The sentence should have been far higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

should have had his balls cut off tbh

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    should have had his balls cut off tbh

Jesus that link in your sig got heads turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

posted about this in politics but that was before I saw this thread

man convicted of rape in limerick was given bail while he waits to be sentenced

http://www.live95fm.ie/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=55918&pt=n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Politics and Separation of Powers

We are led to believe that there exists in this state a Separation of Powers between the government and the judiciary. Some decisions that are made by the courts (and state bodies) in this country are clearly arrived at due to a political interest one way or the other.

Apart from the political side of things and it’s some time since I spent any time around the courts (work related) but “in my opinion” most judges out there are not in touch with reality. The live in nice peaceful suburbs, get driven around or park where they want, on very good wages, work 8 months of the year, have good friends in the right places!. After a couple of years of this they forget what it’s like to be in the real world and go a bit weird. Once you have witnessed a couple of cases in the district or circuit court you will understand what I mean.

Sorry to go on but

Example one
    District Court case no licence, tax, insurance, speeding. Open and shut case. Well no, you see your honour it’s his first offence, he just broke up with the girlfriend, had one to many, doesn’t normally drink, goes to mass every Sunday, only started a new job, lost his job
    any lies really to get away with it. They don’t always fall for it but in 8 out of 10 cases if you throw enough cr8p, the solicitors can virtually set their own sentence.

Example two

Breakin to house, steal wedding album, sh&t on floor, stole money, etc etc. well you see your honour it’s the drugs – ah sure then, it’s only his 14th charge and he did attend a course last year and he’s waiting on another one to start give him a chance. I understand drugs are a curse that won’t be solved by locking up every law breaking addict but the victims of their crimes get shafted by the lack of proper sentencing deterrents.

I’m not looking for three strikes and your out stuff, all I’d like to see is “do the crime, do the time pay the fine” etc and hopefully fairness across the system.

Phew

Advertisement