Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best vb.net book?

Options
  • 27-01-2005 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

hey folks,
    im just starting to learn vb.net i have little or no programing experience, i did a vb6 course years ago and got the basics but thats it and i cant even remember them too well.
    can anyone reccomend a really good vb.net book to take me from absolute beginer to being ready to take the mcp?
    in the vb6 course we used one by deitel which i found to be a bit heavy going due to the way it was written

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I think you'll need more than a single book to get you from "little or no programming experience" to an MCP-Ready state. VB.NET is so different to VB6 that a single course a few years ago is probably worthless to you.

However, don't let that stop you trying!

I'd get a few books if I were you.

Wrox "Professional VB.NET" is quite good.
    There's probably also a "VB.NET for Dummies" book. The "Dummies" is an excellent series of books.

You might also consider a book from Microsoft Press to get an idea of the MS way to do things.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

nice one mate :D , ill keep an eye out for that wrox book, also i might find myself a dummies book in chapters or something. i reckon il wait till im up and running before i get the microsoft one though :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'll second that wrox book. VB.Net In Easy Steps is pretty good for a quick intro too but not really neccessary if you get the Wrox book.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

I have the dummies book for VB.NET and I must say that for beginners it's fantastic. It'll give you all of the basics and then you have the Net for the rest of it really! But you'd want to have alot of free time to learn any language especially to play around with it!

Advertisement