Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help setting up site! KF web server

Options
  • 27-01-2005 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

I am new to building and hosting websites so i would appreciate a little bit of help. I am using dreamweaver mx 2004 and have kind of got to grips with that and have managed to make a small site myself. what i need help with is using KF web server and how to set that up with my site. im not really sure basically how to use the program at all so i was wondering could anyone who uses it or know where to find a guide to help me out that'd be great. Thanks alot

PS. i have set up a small amount of webspace through eircom.net but i just need to know how to use that through KF.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

From reading your post, I would recommend using your free eircom space to host your website (there is no need to use KFWS). Dreamweaver MX has FTP built in so you can upload your site directly. Have a look at this howto http://www.freehost.ie/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=48

In the second screenshot down change the FTP Host to homepage.eircom.net and the host Directory to public_html, use the username and password when you setup your webspace, when you make a connection it’s plain sailing.

The KFWS is a piece of software which will basically turn any windows box into a webserver, so you wouldn’t need online web-space. I would not recommend turning your desktop into a server, but if you do decide to use KFWS use a firewall, good AV software, and use a separate partition on you disk. Better again; if you have an old machine lying in the corner use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Thanks for replying but i get this error message even though i have gone through and checked everything twice with what you said. see attachment.

This comes up when i test the connection or try to connect. i have done everything you said, what is up? :confused:

Try this, leave the host directory blank this time.

Access: FTP
    FTP Host: homepage.eircom.net
    Host Directory: <leave blank>
    Login: username
    Password: *******

Click “Test

If it logs in, you will see a directory called “public_html”

Also you must be coming from an eircom IP to connect to their service, if you are using NTL it will fail.

Did this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Feck im using IOL, so it won't work then!??

I should amend my last post to read "Irish networks"

Eircom will allow access from Irish based networks (NTL uses UK ip's)

I thought IOL would be OK. Here's a way to check, click on this link http://autoreg.eircom.net/ if you see a signup page then you are OK and the connection is a different problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

They block Netsource as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

proving yet again the Eircom really dont have a clue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Mmmm, tasty Kentucky Fried Web Server...

Advertisement