Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build

• 27-01-2005 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

Simple question here.... anyone here build do a house by direct labour in the last 12-24 month. What did it actually end up costing in the end ?

I keep hearing firgures that seem to be double the last one (everyone seems to be an expert on this). So who has acutally done this , and what did it cost ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

John I am in progress, am in progress of getting quotes and that so in truth cannot give u a 100% true figure, point also been that I am doing a lot of work myself, saving us about 30k.
    I can tell you what we are looking at but would not be the full picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

I'm going to be attempting a self-build soon. Just waiting on planning permission (which I highly doubt we will get)... would be interested in knowing other peoples experiences too. I'll post as soon as I know where we are, so to speak, but don't hold your breath...

*goes to pray for Planning Permission*

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

God help u with planning, 13 months we were sorting it out. Be prepared to "bend over"!!!
    We got 17 conditions and had to redesign the house totally, add "crossed " windows, nattural stone, natural slate, stone of 60ft of front wall, 5 year occupancy clause etc etc etc!!
    If I can help please PM me.
    All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

Hi,
    I started to build my house by direct labour last August. It is a dormer bungalow. The wall Plate and joists have just been instilled and the block work for the gable ends should bee completed by the end of next week. If I can help with any questions that you might have PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Thanks for the offer Yop, I may well use it soon... to make matters worse we're trying for planning in Wicklow. And to rub salt into the wound, we're trying in the Glencree Valley, where we have 50 acres of farmland, which we can't viably farm because we don't live there. So we have 50 acres of the most expensive wasteland in Ireland (couldn't even sell it for development, if we were so inclined). I don't care what the house looks like, I just want to live there... Breaks my heart, it really does. To make it even more depressing, just 5 minutes down the road 50 acres have gone for re-development for a few hundred houses. I want to cry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement