Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs to read books by

Options
  • 27-01-2005 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I just reread Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell to the sound of Sonic Youth and Radiohead (Kid A onwards), and for some reason it really added to it (and by that I mean it made the whole thing all the more depressing and misanthropic..why did I have to go and read that bloody book again!!?)
    Other "combinations" that have worked well (you might even say synergistically):

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood to Sarah McLachlan & Smashing Pumpkins
    The Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger) to Jeff Buckley & Incubus (Make Yourself)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank whatsisface to The Cranberries (and it's not just the Limerick connection either)
    Macbeth to the sound of A Perfect Circle (it's a bit dodgy in some parts, but other parts work very well)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell to the Aenima album by Tool (this one REALLY works, I suggest you try it, the songs align well with certain events in the novel)

So, anyone else got any good song/book combinations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I tend to block out music when I read. I always listen to music when I'm studying but if I stop and look at the last ten songs I was listening to I'd only remember hearing maybe one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I cant listen to music while reading, either. I just end up concentrating on the music and realise ive read 2 pages and don't know what the hell happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

If I'm reading fantasy then I'd always play either My Dying Brides '34.788% complete' album or Anathema's 'Alternative 4' or 'Judgement' albums.
    For anything else, something like the latter tracks of 'Music for the Jilted Generation' by the Prodigy or 'Ocean Machine' by Devin Townsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Might try listening to Manowar, Dragonforce, Hammerfall and maybe some 3 Inches Of Blood while watching Lord Of The Rings

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

I found listening to 'The thing that should not be' was very effective while reading HP Lovecrafts At the mountains of madness or any Lovecraft, but kinda figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Might try listening to Manowar, Dragonforce, Hammerfall and maybe some 3 Inches Of Blood while watching Lord Of The Rings

I think this post is about reading.

I like to listen to my Jeff Buckley cd's while reading my Jeff Buckley books. Then again, I listen to my Jeff Buckley cd's while reading most books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

listen to nine inch nails' "broken" EP while reading fight club

apparently chuck palahniuk listened to it while writing the book...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

any fantasy novel, any power metal band :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

listen to nine inch nails' "broken" EP while reading fight club

apparently chuck palahniuk listened to it while writing the book...

It was one of his other books and it was Fixed, not Broken ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

John2 wrote:
    It was one of his other books and it was Fixed, not Broken ;)
    you get the idea :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

i always listen to music whilst reading .... its great ....
    i listed to nine inch nails (downward spiral) a lot whilst reading the devinci code for some reason .... worked a treat though,
    one album ive found very easy to listen to whilst reading most books though, is bell x1's Neither Am I

Advertisement