Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare wheels and the NCT

Options
  • 27-01-2005 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

Is a road legal spare wheel and tyre required for the NCT? On the NCT website the spare is mentioned in the inspection list. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that a spare is required, it could just mean that *if* a spare is present it must meet certain standards. AFAIK the UK MOT is like this.

Some supercars don't have a spare wheel at all as there's nowhere to store it - so it would make sense that a spare is not essential for the NCT.

To further confuse matters, I have a book by Dessie Enan entitled "all you need to know about the NCT" The book mentions that the spare wheel is not part of the test except for taxis. This could mean that you don't need a wheel at all. It could also mean that you do need a wheel (+ roadworthy tyre presumably) but that the wheel itself is not examined for damage, buckles etc.

Can anyone clear this up? :)

BrianD3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

BrianD3,

AFAIK, (I have the official NCT manual somewhere..?) the spare wheel must be present and (presumably?) have a road legal tyre fitted.

I believe they just lift the cover and look at the wheel/tyre, rather than actually lifting it out.

Interestingly, the Porsche 911 (1979 model) comes with a flat spare wheel (seriously!) - you are supplied with a pump to inflate it when required :)

Where did you get the NCT book ?
    Haven't heard of it ?

Cheers,
    Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Silvera,
    The book is an unofficial guide to the NCT. I got it in Motorway Blanchardstown. Only cost a fiver. They may still have a few left.

It's quite a good book and explains a lot of things. In one section it decribes the differences between the NCT for private cars and the NCT for taxis. One of the differences stated is
    "all P.S.V.s must have a road legal spare wheel"

According to the book, the spare wheel well/carrier is party of the NCT for private cars, but the wheel itself is not.

edit: more info on the book
    http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/view-item?item=4086&233102052-10795aaa

Also, I've just remembered that the Lotus Elise does not have a spare wheel (no room for one)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

can i ask what it says they look for on tyres apart from tread. one of my cars has 99 michelin energys and all energys i have seen have a noticeable dip on the sidewall but one of the tyres is worse effected than others. note it is not a bulge but the opposite like a tightening. there is no damage to the rubber and it isnt scraped or anything. the car is booked on the 2nd

lomb, I'd say you'll be OK with your tyres. I can't find any mention of "dips" in tyres as being a cause for failure. Bulges would be though of course. Quote from book:
    "any cut in the tyre which is more than 25 mm long or 10% of the width of the tyre which reaches the ply or cords will fail. Any damage which exposes the cord structure will fail as will any bulges or weakness"

BrianD3

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A friend of mine emailed the DoE regarding similar issues regarding NCTing a (road legal) competition car - http://homepage.eircom.net/~goconnor/ctclar.htm - it references the official manual:-
    S36 P52
    A bald wire showing spare tyre on a buckled rim is not a cause for failure
    Is this correct?

Your reply: correct
    S36 P52
    A spare tyre not present is not a cause for failure
    Is this correct?

Your reply

S39 P55
    Spare wheel not part of test
    Is this correct?

Your reply: correct

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    lomb, I'd say you'll be OK with your tyres. I can't find any mention of "dips" in tyres as being a cause for failure. Bulges would be though of course. Quote from book:
    "any cut in the tyre which is more than 25 mm long or 10% of the width of the tyre which reaches the ply or cords will fail. Any damage which exposes the cord structure will fail as will any bulges or weakness"

BrianD3

thanks a million puts my mind at rest, incidently i bought a new one a few years back and it had also got a 'severe dip' i rejected it and he put another one on. never did figure out what it was all about. new michelins dont have this for sure

i do note you said weakness though so :confused::confused:

Nice one kbannon, some good info on your friend's webpage.

So it seems that you don't need a spare for the NCT. Has anyone else any thoughts or experiences on this.

lomb: hard to know about your tyres. I would say that if there is a noticable dip in one tyre which is different to the other tyres they could pick up on that and regard it as a "weakness" Very hard to know though. Might be no harm to get the tyre taken off and refitted before the test and see if that does anything for the pinching effect that you're describing

BrianD3

hmm maybe. il c as am a bit busy for the next few days i might just put it through and see.

can i also ask how many clicks they allow on the handbrake b4 it is effective. the car was lying up for a while and the cable streched a little thanks again :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given that many of their staff are not (from what I have read) fully aware of the technical regulations I would remove the wheel so that it isn't an issue (in case they tried to say that if one was present they must check it!)

can i also ask how many clicks they allow on the handbrake b4 it is effective. the car was lying up for a while and the cable streched a little thanks again
    I don't think there's anything in the test about number of clicks, but according to the book there must be some adjustment left in the handbrake mechanism i.e. you shouldn't have to pull it right to the top for it to be effective

I did hear before that a good rule of thumb for handbrakes is they should be capable of holding the car on a steep hill with 8 clicks or less.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

there is no requirement for a spare wheel by the nct except where one is fittted to the car as a road wheel. eg. spacesaver type which has a speed rating below
    the max speed limit 120 kmh, or a different size from the other 3 wheels. both wheels on the same axle must be the same size. in the case of psv`s they must have a standard (not directional) roadworthy wheel of the same size.

thanks

Advertisement