Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you Nintendo

Options
  • 27-01-2005 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/

What can I say? It's freaking Nintendo. In the console wars of the late eighties and early nineties, I fought bravely on the side of the big N.

After the kid down the street got a Nintendo, I started begging my parents for one. They were reluctant to buy me one because they were afraid that video games might take over my life.

Anyway, they wouldn't get me one, but on Christmas morning my aunt bypassed parental law and came through for me. I was the proud owner of my first video game system (the Atari 2600 I used to play during our trips to Maine in the summer doesn't count, because it didn't belong to me).

At first all we had was the Mario/Duckhunt combination platter that came with the system. So Mario was the meal of the day. Occasionally I would have to let my sister play, which annoyed me to no end because she used to be one of those video game players... you know the ones. The type that jerk the controller in the direction they want the character to jump, thinking that physical exertion would travel through the controller cord, and give the character that little added "oomph" that he needed to cross the gap?

But that was it. I was now a gamer. We'll not count how many ****ing braincells I killed blowing air into that NES when it wouldn't work. If you owned one, you know what I'm talking about.

Some years passed, and Nintendo released their next generation system, the Super Nintendo Entertainment system. I mean, hello?! It was SUPER. How could I not own one? But I was older now, and my parents insisted that I earn it myself. So over the course of what must have been, like, twenty years (to a kid my age at the time) doing chores and odd jobs around the house, and convincing my sister to pitch in, we had finally saved up the money ($120 I think it was back then?) to buy the SNES.

And wouldn't you know it, the very evening I get that last nickel to afford the system, I immediately run to my parents asking them to take me down to the store. I've never been a very patient person. They explained to me that it was too late and that they didn't want to go out. My head near exploded. At least until my parents reached behind the chair and pulled out a shiny SNES system for my sister and I.

The games... sheesh, there were so many. StarFox, Super Mario, and of course, my favorite of all time, Metal Warriors (which is the only reason I still own a SNES today, just so that I can play that one game). The SNES era was a great time to be a gamer.

When Nintendo announced the Nintendo 64, I avoided the hype for months, much to the anguish of my best friend who was always trying to show me the latest Mario 64 screens. I do that often... avoid hype and news until something is just about to be released, to spare myself the months and months of agonized waiting and anticipation. But you'd better believe that we threw down our $315+ for the system/extra controller/and Mario 64/Pilotwings pre-orders.

The Electronics Boutique we frequented did a midnight opening just for the release, but neither my best friend or I were old enough to drive yet. My mother was nice enough to go the following day, the release day, while we were at school, and pick up our systems for us. As I recall it was a Friday, and I faked illness in order to skip school on Monday and continue playing Mario 64.

Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye (which actually became a staple in my life at one point... I used to play people for money. I was pretty ****ing good), Zelda 64 (I was a proud owner of the pre-order gold cartridge), and too many more to list.

I bought a Gamecube later than most, and GC titles are a minority in my game library, but every single one of them has provided me with a fulfilling, fun gaming experience.

And that's what I have always been able to count on Nintendo for- fun games. Other consoles have come and gone that offered different features here and there, but my Nintendo systems have always been a source of satisfying single-player experiences.

Thank you, Nintendo, and all of your exclusive third party developers, for providing me with Mario, Zelda, Metroid and so much fun over the course of my life. And thank you for building the foundation of what gaming has become today.

/its like my ****in life story!!!

kdjac

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Well, my lawyers have just received a notice from the legal representation for Penny Arcade. Turns out they've filed for the "rights in perpetuity to any and all humorous comic interpretations and/or situations arising or inferred from the electronic entertainment industry and/or the products thereof."

Basically translated from "lawyerese", this means that from here on out, Penny Arcade will be the only licensed purveyor of video game humor.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

i never saw the appeal with mario zelda and metroid prime :confused:

but ah well i went down the same path with sega and sony :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always wanted a Nintendo console but the first Nintendo console I actually owned other than a gameboy was a Gamecube. I asked for a NES for christmas and got a C64 (which apart from a few decent games, I hated). Asked for a Snes and got a Megadrive (which my parents got for free :( I never let them live that down to this day). I already had a PS1 and my parents wouldn't let me get another console so couldn't get or afford an N64 until it was nearly dead. I had to content myself with playing my Nintendo obsessed friends consoles. My discovery of emulation only made me realise just what I was missing out on. My mega drive had some excellent games but the NES and SNES had them by the bucket full. The N64 had about as many essentials as the PS1. Thankfully after secondary school I got a summer job every summer and had more money than sense. I could now afford the Nintendo console I always wanted. And when i finally pay my debts i'm getting a snes and N64 for under my TV.
    i never saw the appeal with mario zelda and metroid prime

Someday the path of the righteous will be be shown to you. Until that day may you command no amount of respect from the videogaming obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sega holds the same place in my heart as nintendo does in yours..but i have respect for the nintendo franchise...despite being bitter enemies in years old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

We'll not count how many ****ing braincells I killed blowing air into that NES when it wouldn't work. If you owned one, you know what I'm talking about.

just yeah i remember that **** another fav was whenever i ****ed up punching the top of the nes and the game would unclick from the bottom to the top

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

KdjaC wrote:

What can I say? It's freaking Nintendo. In the console wars of the late eighties and early nineties, I fought bravely on the side of the big N.

After the kid down the street got a Nintendo, I started begging my parents for one. They were reluctant to buy me one because they were afraid that video games might take over my life.

Anyway, they wouldn't get me one, but on Christmas morning my aunt bypassed parental law and came through for me. I was the proud owner of my first video game system (the Atari 2600 I used to play during our trips to Maine in the summer doesn't count, because it didn't belong to me).

At first all we had was the Mario/Duckhunt combination platter that came with the system. So Mario was the meal of the day. Occasionally I would have to let my sister play, which annoyed me to no end because she used to be one of those video game players... you know the ones. The type that jerk the controller in the direction they want the character to jump, thinking that physical exertion would travel through the controller cord, and give the character that little added "oomph" that he needed to cross the gap?

But that was it. I was now a gamer. We'll not count how many ****ing braincells I killed blowing air into that NES when it wouldn't work. If you owned one, you know what I'm talking about.

Some years passed, and Nintendo released their next generation system, the Super Nintendo Entertainment system. I mean, hello?! It was SUPER. How could I not own one? But I was older now, and my parents insisted that I earn it myself. So over the course of what must have been, like, twenty years (to a kid my age at the time) doing chores and odd jobs around the house, and convincing my sister to pitch in, we had finally saved up the money ($120 I think it was back then?) to buy the SNES.

And wouldn't you know it, the very evening I get that last nickel to afford the system, I immediately run to my parents asking them to take me down to the store. I've never been a very patient person. They explained to me that it was too late and that they didn't want to go out. My head near exploded. At least until my parents reached behind the chair and pulled out a shiny SNES system for my sister and I.

The games... sheesh, there were so many. StarFox, Super Mario, and of course, my favorite of all time, Metal Warriors (which is the only reason I still own a SNES today, just so that I can play that one game). The SNES era was a great time to be a gamer.

When Nintendo announced the Nintendo 64, I avoided the hype for months, much to the anguish of my best friend who was always trying to show me the latest Mario 64 screens. I do that often... avoid hype and news until something is just about to be released, to spare myself the months and months of agonized waiting and anticipation. But you'd better believe that we threw down our $315+ for the system/extra controller/and Mario 64/Pilotwings pre-orders.

The Electronics Boutique we frequented did a midnight opening just for the release, but neither my best friend or I were old enough to drive yet. My mother was nice enough to go the following day, the release day, while we were at school, and pick up our systems for us. As I recall it was a Friday, and I faked illness in order to skip school on Monday and continue playing Mario 64.

Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye (which actually became a staple in my life at one point... I used to play people for money. I was pretty ****ing good), Zelda 64 (I was a proud owner of the pre-order gold cartridge), and too many more to list.

I bought a Gamecube later than most, and GC titles are a minority in my game library, but every single one of them has provided me with a fulfilling, fun gaming experience.

And that's what I have always been able to count on Nintendo for- fun games. Other consoles have come and gone that offered different features here and there, but my Nintendo systems have always been a source of satisfying single-player experiences.

Thank you, Nintendo, and all of your exclusive third party developers, for providing me with Mario, Zelda, Metroid and so much fun over the course of my life. And thank you for building the foundation of what gaming has become today.

/its like my ****in life story!!!

kdjac

:O i thought i was reading my upbringing there, very close to my video game lifestyle (in a nintendo fan, real bad :P) - except for my experiences you need to throw in all the RPG's zelda, chrono trigger etc.. Japanese RPG's on the SNES just rocked!

i had left out the N64 for a while (maybe i forgot about it on purpose, their bull**** reality engine - always the same hype with every machine)

except one thing, your goldeneye skillz are weak compared to mine, when you master playing blindfolded then you can say your good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I can relate to a lot of what you posted, i dont think i was quite as fanatical as you though :) .Ive always been a nintendo diehard, the only console i missed out on was the n64 and i never felt like i missed much there. I can still remember searching for and discovering my snes one christmas in my parents wardrobe, and just sitting there for ages marveling at how streamlined and nice the console and the joypads were (you laugh now but in comparison to the nes the snes was quite the looker in her day) have a cube now, and emulate all the other nintendo consoles on my xbox (i may never part with my xbox just for its emulation abilities) and get to play the likes of double dragon to my hearts content.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Sega holds the same place in my heart as nintendo does in yours..but i have respect for the nintendo franchise...despite being bitter enemies in years old...

how weird is it to see sega developing for a nintendo console nowadays

btw what has the website linked at the top got to do with the post??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

skywalker wrote:
    btw what has the website linked at the top got to do with the post??? :confused:
    erm... almost the entirety of that post was quoted from cad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i never had a nes or snes of my own :( i want a snes now though

i started with something called an atari 2000 or something it was basically coloured squares on screen........
    then i got a C64, ah the memories of waiting 3 hours for a tape to load only to realise you don't want to play that game anymore.
    then i went through my gameboy phase, i was addicted - no doubt.
    then came the PS1 and it became my parents, friends and my life all in one. i ate, slept and lived PS1 (It was also host to the best game of all time for me)
    then we got PS2, i've owned about 4 of them so far - THEY BREAK TOO DAMN EASILY.

and thats me done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

tman wrote:
    erm... almost the entirety of that post was quoted from cad

ahhh. didnt spot that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement