Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can anyone recommend an auto electrician in Dublin??

Options
  • 27-01-2005 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Have a 98 Honda Civic (1.5 Vtec) that am having probs with....

Basically if the lights are left on for any amount of time no matter how short or radio left on etc without the engine being on the car wont start.

Have had the battery checked and same occurs with new battery/existing one, work has been done on the alternator and this hasnt cured it.

When driving, you can feel power surges throughout the car - lights fluctuate on dash and headlights. Alarm is knocked off with alarm key so have checked this as source of power drain and have done a quick check of other fuses and all seems to be ok.

I'm reluctant to bring it to Rathdown motors or the like as know it will costs a bomb to bring to main Honda dealer - but problem getting worse - couldnt start the car at all today so need to get it sorted and someone said that an auto electrician might be able to solve - anyone any ideas on what the problem is or of any good auto electricians in the Dublin/Kildare area that can help!!!

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I know this sounds... too simple, but that sounds like a bad earth to me.

....Well, the bit about the lights flickering do anyway. Also, there could be wires shorting somewhere. I had this problem with my boot lights, indicaters went off once when braking.. I found the indicator wire and brake wire (live) were shaved and touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I can tell you the problem here, as I had exactly the same problem on my Honda Civic 1.5iLS VTEC. Basically it's down to the voltage regulator on the Alternator.

To cut a long story short I done a bit of research and found that Alternators maufactured by Mitsubishi (spelling?) in the 97-98 models had a problem with the voltage regulator which would flucuate the output current/voltage on the car. The recommended solution was to replace the alternator.

I approached by Honda dealer at the time about 2 years ago and the car was 4 years old with the TSB (technical service bulletin). I turned up expecting to pay but since this was a known problem it was replaced under warranty! Even though the warranty had expired Honda will stand over the car if a full service history with Honda has been maintained. Problem was resolved perfectly.

Only other problem I ever had with the car was that I crashed it and wrote it off! But can't really blame the car :D

You'll get more info here:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/24/982435AN.html

The TSB index number is 98-029

You'll find a bit on it if you google 98-029 and Honda. Get the info got into a dealer and if you've a FHSH you're sorted.

Jason.

Wow, can't get a better answer than that, I've even impressed myself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

If that's the answer samo, you owe that man a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I'm really outdoing myself here...

http://www.genco1.com/newsletter_details.cfm?id=79

TBH I am looking to make that magic 100th post and get 2 stars! But really I need to go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Maybe to my detriment, before I even read any replies I thought voltage regulator. So I'm with Jayok on this. Also a 98 car is old enough to have corroded earth straps. These 2 are where I would start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Lads - really appreciate the reply - only prob is got the car off Sandyford motors and DOEST have FSH - itsbeen serviced alright but have done most of the servicing myself. It has a Bosch alternator and they did work on that alright but it only fixed it enough to get through the NCT.

Will get the earth straps checked and will do my homework on the alternator regulator and have to say you's didnt let me down - knew someone here would know something!!!

Thanks for the help - just have to find out if the Bosch alternator has same problems!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

check the earth straps first as had that before in my honda's.

I should have some information about voltage regulator testing procedure.
    Will check that tonight in the garage

Advertisement