Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add-on telephoto lens for cameraphones!

Options
  • 27-01-2005 11:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

Ok, who wants to be a 'guinea pig' by ordering and trying out one of these Digital Camera Telephot add-on lenses ??

In particular I'd love to know if they work with Nokia 6630s. 6x digital zoom is a serious improvement over 0x zoom but an extra 2x optical zoom would be really useful for some video recording applications I'm thinking of :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

6x digital zoom is not even worth mentioning. Not at all worth even mentioning.

Interesting little concept but I'd never be bothered enough to buy such a thing. Just use a proper digital camera if you intend doing anything worthwhile! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I disagree halengar - I find the 6x digital zoom very worthwhile on my phone. Sure, you wouldn't use it for enterining photography contests but there are many uses for low quality digital photography besides. My last phone was a Nokia 3650 with even humbler photographic capability but it was perfectly good for keeping a family photo album on Flickr which all the extended family could peruse and enjoy whereever they are in the world.

I've also had a 1.5 megapixel Fuji digital camera for 5 or 6 years but stopped using it soon after getting it - it was too big to lug around, never had it when a photo opportunity came around, required me to think of keeping batteries charged for it, had fiddly software and cabling for transferring photos to the PC, etc, etc. With Flickr and my cameraphone I can simply snap and email directly to flickr. The phone is always charged up, in my pocket and ready to shoot.

So you see from my point of view I would advise someone that if they really want to do anything worthwhile with digital photography they should get a cameraphone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Nah...I use a phone for calling people and a camera for taking pictures. While the cameras i phones have really improved and you have the advantage of it being with you all the time I have yet to see some good photos from a camera phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Robot

I wasn't sure if you'd seen some of the newest camera phones pictures so i thought I'd post a few up. The leap in quality over the last few months has been huge. These were taken with the mitsubishi M900 and I was very impressed when I saw them.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5
    Pic 6

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

trap4 wrote:
    I disagree halengar - I find the 6x digital zoom very worthwhile on my phone. Sure, you wouldn't use it for enterining photography contests but there are many uses for low quality digital photography besides. My last phone was a Nokia 3650 with even humbler photographic capability but it was perfectly good for keeping a family photo album on Flickr which all the extended family could peruse and enjoy whereever they are in the world.

I know what you're trying to say but it means nothing. That's my point. Take the picture at full quality zoomed out, then zoom in. That's the same as taking it with digital "zoom". Digital zoom is useless and can be replicated on a PC or probably your imaging viewer on your camera. :)

Unless something has changed in the world of digital zoom but I've heard of no change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

BrianD, the first digital camera I got, the Fuji I spoke of, was a 1.5 megapixel camera. That qualifies as a camera, right? The current cameraphone I have is 1.3 megapixel one - not far behind. Does the fact that it comes on a phone mean it doesn't qualify?

Not to be argumentative but all this is relative and while I agree that 1.3 megapixels isn't good enough for producing works of art its certainly good enough for most (if not all) my needs.

Halenger, I know what you're saying too but you see it's mosty for video I'll be wanting this 2x optical lens (if it works). So what I need is 'live zoom' if you know what I mean, not post-production zoom. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Number of pixels is not the be-all and end all for digital photography. The quality of the lens will have a greater impact on the image - generally the lenses in camera phones are utter ****.

Advertisement