Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mecha Anime.

Options
  • 28-01-2005 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭

What's the best mecha anime out there? Does anybody know? I recently finished watching Soukyuu no Fafner (Fansub) and thought it was great. I'm wondering if anybody knows any other good ones besides Evangelion?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Rah-Xephon is very popular, mostly amongst people who didn't like Eva because they didn't like Shinji :)

Gunbuster is a classic, made in 1988, enjoyable and there's a sequel series of OVAs in production (the first one in the series is out thusfar).

Gundam SEED is one of the latest incarnations of the Gundam saga, it's supposed to be a remake of one or more of the earlier Gundams. I enjoyed it (bear in mind I watched all 50 episodes in three days, so I didn't give myself any time to think about some of the repetetive animation), wouldn't watch it twice, but I still listen to a couple of the tracks from it's various OSTs.

Martian Successor Nadesico is my favourite Mech series, an absolute classic, varying from dramatic to very funny. 26 episode series, an OVA and a Movie.

Macross Zero, high production value and very good, 5 OVAs.

Macross Plus, a classic? Must be at this stage; 4 OVAs, also really good.

Escaflowne, now, I don't think this really counts as a Mech series, but the Mech is a major point of focus in it. I'll have to look it up.

That's off the top of my head from what I've watched, I'd say there's others who could recommend other parts of the Macross or Gundam sagas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The two Patlabor films are very good.

Although they are more character and plot based, when the mecha action kicks in it is simply outstanding stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I personally have a soft spot for everything Gundam. The mecha design and stories appeal to me. Cult is right insofar as SEED is considered largely a rehash of the original series, for the first half at least, but it does veer away from it at that point. I wouldnt let that put you off though, I thoroughly enjoyed it the whole way through, and if you havent seen 0079, its not even worth mentioning. Gundam SEED is currently being released on region 1 DVD. The sequel series (Gundam SEED Destiny) is currently airing in Japan and available on fansub.

Ive just realised I cant possibly talk about all the mecha series I've seen in a single post, so Ill let it go at that.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

The various Gundam Saga's are enjoyable, even Gundam Wing can be enjoyable. =P
    But Gundam MS 08, Gundam Seed, Gundam X, Gundam 0089, are just some of the good Gundam saga's to watch.

You could also consider Full Metal Panic! but that doesnt always have Mechs in it, but it's still a good anime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Like CuLT my favoite mecha is Martian Successor Nadesico, probably cause it was one of the first animes i seen.
    RahXephon was brilliant as well, but i never got to finish the series before they disappeared from the shelves of Forbidden Plant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Rah-Xephon is indeed very good and well worth a watch. Nadesico is great, but let down as so many anime are by their endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The two Patlabor films are very good.

Although they are more character and plot based, when the mecha action kicks in it is simply outstanding stuff.

What he said ^^

That said, I have a very soft spot for anything Robotech (Macross Saga, Southern Cross, Mospeada/Next Generation). Again, although very heavily character/plot based (and impressively so given the scale - three generations). Macross Plus is an alternate-timeline for the original Robotech: Macross Saga. Although good, and with better animation, I didn't like it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to watch Robotech as a kid on The Super Channel. I thought it was amazing as it was the first cartoon that I ever saw that didn't treat me like a child.

At the time on the other channels you had Bravestarr, He-man and M*A*S*K. And while they were all pretty good fun, they were so preachy with the stupid messages at the end. Robotech had proper storytelling in it. And we all fell in love with Lynn Minmae didn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Robotech had proper storytelling in it. And we all fell in love with Lynn Minmae didn't we?

I was always partial to Lisa Hayes. Older women and all that ..... ;)

By the way, you can get each of the three seasons on Robotech.com - Region 1 though. The Macross Saga is 6 DVDs :eek:

I sat through it back to back in two days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Seed

I don't care what anyone says but Gundam wing is brilliant. Despite the fact that whenever they go on one of those philosophical tangents I think "Shut up. You're 10."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Not a big Mecha fan myself but there's one that I like and it's Full Metal Panic coz it's really funny at the same time ;)

Advertisement