Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Union Elections

Options
  • 28-01-2005 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

First off i have great time for the job that the various student union officers do. in my opinion the post of welfare officer id perhaps the most important due to the fact that a wide spectrum of problems are going to have to be dealt with.
    the sensitivity of this position makes a certain type of person necessary for the job. the current welfare officer Mr Shane Henley is a Good candidate as he is a studnet of social science which includes various modules of psychology etc.
    in the upcoming sabatical elections one MR Daniel Hayden is running for the post of welfare officer. as he is a student of philisophy and french i would not imagine that he is overly qualified to deal with students problems which could range from depression to an unplanned pregnancy. what will he be able to do??
    say the solution in french. offer advice on what aistotle would have done if he got pregnant.
    apart from the fact that mr hayden was press officer for the union last year his candidature seems to be yet another step on the political ladder of the union which year by year becomes ever more laden with HACKS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

VOTE FOR PADDY!

that is all

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In fairness,who the hell is going to go to an elected welfare officer for advice on pregnancy or depression?Wouldn't they be better off going to a counsellor or maybe a chaplain?

I feel being constantly ripped off by UCD is damaging to my welfare.Will Mr Henley do something about that and highlight the fact that a bar of chocolate such as a snack bar in the Arts cafe costs you 90 cents! :mad:

If he would he'd have my support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭AllStar

well u never knw someone who had no one else to go to. wat p1sses me off is that someone like this is just simply going to get elected due to the fact that no one else will run for it. its a known fact that the post of welfare officer is the easiest to get elected for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

So AllStar, you'll be running for Welfare officer then?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

must say i agree wit allstar. the way that the elections are used as a stepping stone to a career defeats the purpose of the union. its meant to be about representation not self advertisement

• Advertisement

Syth wrote:
    So AllStar, you'll be running for Welfare officer then?

:)

No, syth im just making a point!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Vote Paddy
    For
    Su President!!!

is the current education officer intending to run for president, also heard that the current welfare officer is running for vice president. hardly a monopoly!!!
    nice work if you can get it, two paid years out from college!!! :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

SU Elections = Bull****ters paradise

Hacks, all of them pure and utter sell out hacks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wouldn't it be interesting to do some sort of survey of the nationally elected "representatives" and see how many of our TDs were members of students unions? Or perhaps- a little fairer- go back 10 years, check who the union officers were then, and then check and see where they are now.........

ok- just remembered one of those arseholes who still does my head in- Ryan Tubridy....... arrrghhhhhh......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

SebtheBum wrote:
    Vote Paddy
    For
    Su President!!!

YAY!

when are the elections? this week or next week, Vote for James Carroll :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

James Carroll for the Grand Slam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Monday 28th February

AGRICULTURE 10:30 – 17:00 Hrs
    All Agriculture students

ARTS 18:30 – 21:45 Hrs
    All students from all faculties may vote at this time as can UCDSU Sabbatical Officers and subscription-paying non-studying SU members

CARYSFORT 10:30 – 17:00 Hrs
    All postgraduate Commerce

EARLSFORT TERRACE 11:00 – 16:00 Hrs
    Whoever’s there! Any student presenting a valid UCD Student Card will be accommodated if at all possible.

RICHVIEW 10:30 – 17:00 Hrs
    All Architecture students

VETERINARY MEDICINE 10:00 – 17:00 Hrs
    All Veterinary Medicine students

Tuesday 1st March

ARTS (Morning/Afternoon) 10:00 – 18:30 Hrs
    All Arts, Human Sciences and Sports Management students as well as UCDSU Sabbatical Officers and subscription-paying non-studying SU members.

ARTS (Evening) 18:30 – 21:45 Hrs
    All students from all faculties may vote at this time as can UCDSU Sabbatical Officers and subscription-paying non-studying SU members.

COMMERCE 10:00 – 17:00 Hrs
    All undergraduate Commerce. 2nd,3rd & 4th Year Business & Legal Studies. 2nd, 3rd & 4th year Actuarial & Finance.

EARLSFORT TERRACE 10:00 – 17:00 hrs
    All 1st Engineering, 4th Agriculture & Food, 4th Civil and 1st & 2nd Medicine.

ENGINEERING 10:00 – 17:00 Hrs
    All Engineering students (except those listed above) shall vote here.

HEALTH SCIENCES 10:00 – 17:00 Hrs
    All Nursing and Physiotherapy students

ROEBUCK 10:00 – 17:00 Hrs
    All Law and 1st Business and Legal Studies.

SCIENCE 10:00 – 17:00 Hrs
    All Science as well as 1st Actuarial & Finance,1st Agriculture, Foundation Medicine, 1st & 4th Radiography.

ST VINCENT’S/ MATER To Be Confirmed
    Probable polling times from 11:00 to 16:00 Hrs. Any input from candidates would be much appreciated. Any student presenting a valid UCD Student Card will be accommodated if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

vote ED!!!for the dude who knows his **** :)

as for the guy whos running for deputy president and is currently accoms officer i havent the time of day for the lazy so and so who hasnt replied to emails and hasnt been the most helpful individual...

anyway,lets hope next years lot are a bit more active then this years lot...what have they done xactly...?useless protests-yes the "gym" and eh......? anyone remember any library sit ins this year...? any decent events bar freshers wk that happend on campus?arts day was alright but theres no campus spirit and many stayed at home-science day luked like a laf but...its no mass water fight...and then there was ag week-how many ppl got carted off to hospital for drinking too much milk just out of curiosity.....?

wheres that ball like TCDs that we were promised last year...?

man im gonna get in trouble but frankly the SU this year aint been the most helpful or useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Couldn't agree more about the SU, this lot have been totally out of touch with the everyday normal student. I'm not saying I'm Mr. know it all about student politics but frankly the SU seems a bit of a sham and a bit elitest IMO.

I came in to this place as an innocent little fresher last September not knowing a f**k about the Student Union. They had absolutely zero presence in fresher's week. Surely its their job in this week was to let the new students know what the union is about and how they could be involved. I know f**k all about the union not because of me but they're lack of motivation to open it up. I honestly don't think I'd ever want to be involved in the union due to their poor presence around the campus. Class reps? WTF do they do? NOTHING .... its just a little job for people to down on a little CV to show they are like really active in student politics. I really do hope this new lot who come in next year get in touch with the students as I personally see a great lack of community around the college and the students need to be united and active in order to stop the tyrant Mr. Brady from flushing this college down the drain.

Advertisement