Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breed them out(provos)

Options
  • 28-01-2005 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Did anyone read an article about how some guys came up with a theory that the Catholics are increasing in numbers far quicker than the 'Contraceptive' using Unionists??

I believe Mr Evil (Ian), is scared as he probably sees this.

Ian will die without peace in the North and it will be a good thing.

Is breeding and numbers the only peaceful way??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I`ve a huge problem with using religious terms to describe the different communities in the north, i prefer the terms unionist and nationalist, the use of catholic and protestant stigmatises people because of their religion. Waiting for one creed in NI to outbreed the other is certainly not republican, as a matter of fact it runs counter to the values held by great irish patriots like Wolfetone, Connolly and Robert Emmet who fought for an inclusive irish republic replacing the terms catholic and protestant with the term "irishman".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Did anyone read an article about how some guys came up with a theory that the Catholics are increasing in numbers far quicker than the 'Contraceptive' using Unionists??

Eh, unless you live on mars, or Ireland in the fifties and sixties, I think you will find that Catholics are " Contraceptive' using " as well.

All the polls in the North show that 32% of Catholics want to remain in the United Kingdom.

Ian will die without peace in the North and it will be a good thing.

I think peace in the North would be a good thing, and the sooner the better.
    Ian wants it just like 95% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Erm, I had that idea when I was about ten, before it wasn't just hip chicks on the pill. In retrospect it wasn't a very advanced idea but I was only ten. I rather hope someone in college or some journo or whoever coming up with the same idea a simplistic pre-teen had once upon a time doesn't warrant headlines these days, particularly given that so many Caflicks are ignoring Humanum Vitae. And the corresponding term for our unionist friends when using the term "Catholics" for our mostly nationalist friends is "Presbyterians", "Protestants" or even "Left-footers" if you must. Or as AngelofFire mentioned, one could just use the phrase "nationalist" as a better-matching corresponding phrase to "unionist" as well as a more correct term (not a PC term, just /more/ precise) given that a number of Taigs want to stay part of the yoo-kay (presumably there are a small number of dissident presbyterians following in WOlfe Tone's footsteps who want a big bad island with its own self-sufficient problems as well though I doubt their numbers are impressive).

Anyhoo, it being the naughty noughties, and Catholic mothers (single and partnered) having fewer children these days compared to the old days of farmers making sure their wives were kept busy in the local hospital when they weren't engaged in the milking parlour, it's a bit late to be proposing the idea that contraception (or lack of it) (abortion too as it's even more illegal up there than it is here IIRC) is making all the difference these days in the race to breed one's opposites out of the local MP's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It is typical Northern Ireland - instead of finding a genuine political settlement they look at demographics.

It is a pity that real politics don't get going in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Just want to apologise for the sorry state of my main post where I put Catholics and Unionists in the same sentence.

As if these are two religions, and religion has nothing to do with it anyway??

The reader will no doubt get the gist of what I meant, . . . .thru' my child like typing.

I want peace in the North, my comment about 'Big Ian' meant I hoped he left this place soon,(today or so), there 'IS' no peace at the moment, I know he says he wants it.

I just want him to die miserably but I won't dwell.

I wonder could John Coffee (Green Mile)suck the Evil from Mr Paisley, or is there too much???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Just want to apologise for the sorry state of my main post where I put Catholics and Unionists in the same sentence.

I want peace in the North, my comment about 'Big Ian' meant I hoped he left this place soon,(today or so), there 'IS' no peace at the moment, I know he says he wants it.

I just want him to die miserably but I won't dwell.

Thats OK re Catholics and Unionists together in your sentence : I know some Catholics who are Unionists, and I am sure they would not mind.

Re. your comments re "Big Ian", it is not a very Christian thing to say you want another human being on this island to not only "leave this place soon" but to die miserably. You or I may not agree with what he says, but he has a right to say it and he has a very large electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[ Daithí ]

As much as I despise the use of "Protestant" and "Catholic" to divide the people of the North, religion does actually matter, unfortunately. I think I recall the GFA specifically stating that a referendum will be held when the population is 50% Catholic and 50% Protestant, or some cac like that.

I could be wrong, but that's what I remember... terribly sectarian though. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

true wrote:
    Eh, unless you live on mars, or Ireland in the fifties and sixties, I think you will find that Catholics are " Contraceptive' using " as well.

All the polls in the North show that 32% of Catholics want to remain in the United Kingdom.

I think peace in the North would be a good thing, and the sooner the better.

any links to back any of this up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

true wrote:

Ian wants the 'peace' of the 1960s when catholics/nationalists, whatever you care to call them were treated as second class citizens.
    The mans a bigot through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

AmenToThat wrote:
    Ian wants the 'peace' of the 1960s when catholics/nationalists, whatever you care to call them were treated as second class citizens.
    The mans a bigot through and through.

just as long as there is no silly ideas like catholics having a vote or anything.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Breed them out(provos)

Is this some sort of Falls road chat-up line?
    "Lie back and think of the cause"
    so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

cdebru wrote:
    any links to back any of this up

true doesnt have proof only dodgy polls.
    Its a false claim this 32%, real proof is that no-one knows the figure for each 'religion'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

gurramok wrote:
    true doesnt have proof only dodgy polls.
    Its a false claim this 32%, real proof is that no-one knows the figure for each 'religion'

Here is a figure : SF Vote + SDLP Vote = 40% of total vote
    (See :http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/vote2003/northern_ireland/html/vote.stm)

Now , i can't imagine they got too many votes from people who want to stay part of the UK.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think I recall the GFA specifically stating that a referendum will be held when the population is 50% Catholic and 50% Protestant, or some cac like that.
    Is it a lot to ask that people would read the Agreement before posting something like this? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

jhegarty wrote:
    Here is a figure : SF Vote + SDLP Vote = 40% of total vote
    (See :http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/vote2003/northern_ireland/html/vote.stm)

Now , i can't imagine they got too many votes from people who want to stay part of the UK.

Err, that has nothing to do with the 32% in question and the poll was an actual election in nov2003, the last election in 2004 was something like 43% combined.
    googling

But not everyone votes for their parties up there on tribal lines, using religion is very misleading on the national question.

Advertisement