Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Seperates Setup

Options
  • 28-01-2005 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about trying to get a decent audio seperates setup together and wanted to get some opinions.

At the moment ive got a bogstandard harmon kardon, pioneer, techncs, tannoy system which is fine but id like to upgrade. The only really good item ive got is a Nakamichi LX5 deck which sounds amazing & getting the full capabilities out of it is one of the main things prompting me into this.

So, my question is - without going into silly money (and ill be scouring the used ads) what record deck, cd player, amp & speakers walk tall along the line of quality v's value?

I know its pretty vague & wide open but id appreciate opinions.

Thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

what budget did you have in mind ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

hehe...i knew that'd be the first question

i dunno really, it'll be built up over time so rough estimate 1500-2000e, as i said ill be trying to pick stuff up used at decent prices if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

mag wrote:
    hehe...i knew that'd be the first question

i dunno really, it'll be built up over time so rough estimate 1500-2000e, as i said ill be trying to pick stuff up used at decent prices if possible

check out the pre owned list on cloneyaudio.com

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

What is your amp - harmon kardon? Some of there stuff is pretty tasty.

Best thing you can do is go into cloneys and have a listen ;)

Avoid buying by "star ratings" etc - they're all BS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I always found Richer Sounds great. They only have a shop in Belfast now but will deliver next day

• Advertisement

yup Richersounds is quite good I suppose, but for that kind of money, you're best going into cloney audio, plus you get to audtition before you buy and Clony usually throw in free stuff :)

yea, the old hi-fi ratings are a load of crap afaik, which is why im asking for suggestions based on experience. no-ones prepared to throw some names at me then?

cloney is mucho expensive though, im not looking at that hi-spec a layout.

my amp is pioneer, cd is harmon kardon. theyre pretty dodgy tbh.

Cloney isnt mucho expensive - €1500 will get you a really nice CD player/amp&speakers :)

Options:

Record Player:
    Project Debut Phono (Silver Only, MM Only) €265.00

CD Player:
    Arcam CD73T €630.00
    Rotel RCD-02 €595.00

Amplifier:
    Arcam A65 Plus €565.00
    Rotel RA-01 €395.00 (the RA-02 is €545 but is the EXACT same apart from a remote - and a remote isnt worth €150!)

Speakers:
    B&W DM601 S3 €399.00
    B&W DM602 S3 €479.00
    Quad 11L €595.00
    System Audio SA 505 €299.00

The advantage of Cloney Audio is that they usually have some decent cheapish pre-owned stuff (amps and speakers make excellent used buys). I got my NAD Tuner second hand there for €50! They also have pre-owned stuff not on the online list ;)

Those B&W 602 S3s are awsome speakers - I love them, plant them on some decent speaker stands and you have the best bargain speaker out there! I have the 602 S1s and they are really nice - but the S3s are just so much nicer to listen to!

A nice system out of the above would be:
    Arcam CD73T €630.00
    Project Debut Phono €265.00
    Rotel RA-01 €395.00
    B&W DM602 S3 €479.00
    Total: €1769

They should throw you in some decent interconnects, speaker cable and maybe speaker stands, but you're left with €200 to buy some better cables and maybe a few new vinyl ;)

thx, ill give cloneys a wee visit then :)

Good Luck - let us know how you get on ;)

• Advertisement

sure will..

btw, anyone any experience with the NAD C320 BEE amp?

Advertisement