Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Binge Drinkers Untie!!!

• 28-01-2005 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

How dare the EU board of nincompupes tell us that more than 2.5 drinks (4 units) of alcyhaul is binge drinking!! If thats the case most unruly kids who are on Calpol (tm) are binge drinkers!!! I'm here now with 350ml of Jemmie (pure irish!) still sober (relativly - wouldn't drive, but will argue!) in me, this is a nice feeling. Why would 2.5 drinks, thats less than the health boards recommend for red wine comsumption for heart health!! How does coronary health compete with AA rescue EU style??

BTW, the Legion need not bother replying to this, same goes for any other moralistic Pioneer, Vleeding Heart mafia group.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Sysiphus wrote:
    still sober

heh heh ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Out of interest - how much would you people drink a day/week/month?
    And please no - "I wouldn't touch the stuff" or "I gave in up last month" kinda posts.
    Oh, and be honest...

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Personally, as the original poster, I would say somewhere between 750ml and 1500 ml of Jemmie per week, don't bother with the pub any more, too much hassel after commute and work. And if you wish to work it out over the week its not that much unless yours a christian scientist (?) or roundhead (puritanist!)

NotMe wrote:
    heh heh ;)

Ssshyrrrriouuuusly, eymmmmm ntttttt pisheddd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Anything from 8-20 pints a week, im 19 and enjoying myself, that often gets mixed with drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I used to go drinking every Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun but have cut back a lot in the last year. Nowadays i go out after work on Friday and stay out till around midnight so i'd say i have about 7 pints.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sysiphus wrote:
    Binge Drinkers Untie!!!

Ok, my laces are untied. Its all I could think of - your instructions are cryptic. 3 people have commented on the fact that it is quite dangerous. It is dark. I am likely to be eaten by a Grue.

What now. Instruct me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Id say about 25 pints a week, maybe more sometimes!Im sure i dont have a problem!Im young and enjoying myself while i can!Id also dabble in a few recreational drugs the odd time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sysiphus wrote:
    Personally, as the original poster, I would say somewhere between 750ml and 1500 ml of Jemmie per week, don't bother with the pub any more, too much hassel after commute and work. And if you wish to work it out over the week its not that much unless yours a christian scientist (?) or roundhead (puritanist!)
    That depends. There's a world of difference between 750ml and 1500ml. 750ml per week equates to 1-2 measures per day. As a quiet drink while you watch TV, that's fine, probably even good for you.
    1500ml makes 3-4 measures, per day. Now, unless drinking in work is fine, I'll assume that's over the course of an evening, and is easily enough to get you light-headed. While it's not totally overboard, it's certainly teetering on the edge of addiction. Would you have trouble sleeping without a few glasses of Jemmie?

Personally, I only drink on the weekends. And I only drink double vodkas. 5-6 on a normal Saturday night, which is about 2/3 of a bottle. Despite what I said above, it's more likely that my drinking does more damage to me, than your drinking does to you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

sinecurea wrote:
    Out of interest - how much would you people drink a day

Forget the count after about 7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I dont know how many people here have spent a resonable time abroad (not on your bleedin sowend holliers to portabinous, ballymun in the sun holidays), working, meeting new people etc. , we are considerd genuine alcoholics in places like the US. Im an average drinker, once or twice a week, fair enough i'd get sh!tfaced when i go out (approx 20 drinks...atleast that gets me sh!tfaced), and i was considerd an alco! :D it was great! anywhoo, that is binge drinking, about 6 / 7 drinks or below a nite isn't tho imo.

seamus wrote:
    That depends. There's a world of difference between 750ml and 1500ml. 750ml per week equates to 1-2 measures per day. As a quiet drink while you watch TV, that's fine, probably even good for you.
    1500ml makes 3-4 measures, per day. Now, unless drinking in work is fine, I'll assume that's over the course of an evening, and is easily enough to get you light-headed. While it's not totally overboard, it's certainly teetering on the edge of addiction. Would you have trouble sleeping without a few glasses of Jemmie?

Personally, I only drink on the weekends. And I only drink double vodkas. 5-6 on a normal Saturday night, which is about 2/3 of a bottle. Despite what I said above, it's more likely that my drinking does more damage to me, than your drinking does to you. :)

I don't drink every night, above is an average, not a constant. For instance last night I had the 750ml (Half Bottle) of jemmie with 5 fun sized cans of coke over a period of about 6 hours, so slow moderate drinking, though a lot consummed, I may not drink again till saturday, or maybe just a beer. I don't need to drink to get to sleep, as i find it usualy keeps me awake, unless I'm blotto! Some weeks, due to work etc. I may not drink at all. As for drinking in work....oh to be a wine taster!!!! I just find the term Binge drinking as defined by the EU to be unrealistic and the usual sillieness we expect and love from brussells!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Maximilian wrote:
    Ok, my laces are untied. Its all I could think of - your instructions are cryptic. 3 people have commented on the fact that it is quite dangerous. It is dark. I am likely to be eaten by a Grue.

What now. Instruct me.
    have you ever tried to tie your laces when your drunk!!! its fair hard!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Sysiphus wrote:

By most definitions that is problem drinking at the least and alcoholism at the worst.

The other thing, where are you getting 1.5 litre bottles of Jameson?
    Sysiphus wrote:
    For instance last night I had the 750ml (Half Bottle) of jemmie with 5 fun sized cans of coke over a period of about 6 hours, so slow moderate drinking, though a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

DubGuy22 wrote:
    we are considerd genuine alcoholics in places like the US.

Depends where you go. Visiting a cousin out in Michigan, from when I got there they drank for over 2 days straight. At one stage I was wondering if they actually stopped when I left. I wasn't able to keep up with them.

Koreans as well (at least in Seoul) drink like fishes. It is just not possible to keep up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sysiphus wrote:
    I don't drink every night, above is an average, not a constant. For instance last night I had the 750ml (Half Bottle) of jemmie with 5 fun sized cans of coke over a period of about 6 hours, so slow moderate drinking, though a lot consummed, I may not drink again till saturday, or maybe just a beer.
    700ml is a full bottle, not half. So you'd consider drinking a bottle of wiskey in one evening moderate drinking? I'd say that's quite a lot. Doing this more than once a week is almost certainly binge drinking and cannot be good for your liver.

I'd normally go out about once a week and have maybe 6 to 8 pints (sometimes cider though normally Guinness). I rarely drink at home, and only when I'm with other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, 750ml of whiskey is a lot, by most people's standards.

I've never heard so many people talking about alcohol as when I'd moved here. It's a national past-time. Everyone is always asking eachother, are you going to the pub, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sysiphus wrote:
    For instance last night I had the 750ml (Half Bottle) of jemmie
    Heh, I missed that. Do you consider a pub bottle to be a normal Full Bottle? :D

I'm a big Vodka fan, but a full bottle (700ml) over 6 hours would have me well buckled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Personally from Monday to Thursday I dont drink. I am up at 5am in the morning so it really isnt an option for me. Even if I was to have a drink it would be 1-2 beers while watching a match.

The worst I would be over the weekend (ie Friday/Saturday nights). If I am staying in with the missus maybe 6 cans each night or on one of the nights we might get a couple of bottles of wine between the two of us. All drank over quite a long period of time. Rarely touch the shorts now and if I do it would only be a measure or two of Crested Ten (Jameson).

Sundays again very rare to have a drink but if there is an open bottle of wine I would normally finish it.

Now by the EU's standards both nights I would be binge drinking. Im sorry but bollix to that. I am not sure what the medical advice is of how many units a week is acceptable, I am sure I would be over it but not by a lot. In my mind Binge drinking is drinking yourself into a stuper every night you drink and doing it on a regular basis (ie You drink on more nights in the week then nights were you dont drink).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

For instance last night I had the 750ml (Half Bottle) of jemmie with 5 fun sized cans of coke over a period of about 6 hours,

which works out at 150ml per can of coke which is roughly 150ml, and drinking that in one day is extremely bad works out at over 20 units of alcohol I would say thats a problem

• Advertisement

jor el wrote:
    700ml is a full bottle, not half. So you'd consider drinking a bottle of wiskey in one evening moderate drinking? I'd say that's quite a lot. Doing this more than once a week is almost certainly binge drinking and cannot be good for your liver.

I'd normally go out about once a week and have maybe 6 to 8 pints (sometimes cider though normally Guinness). I rarely drink at home, and only when I'm with other people.

oops your right, I meant 350ml, will have to revise above, as the most I would have over a full week would be two bottles, and thats only very occasionly, mostly it'd be one bottle over the week, maybe broken up into three to four nights, though sometimes two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Sysiphus wrote:
    oops your right, I meant 350ml, will have to revise above, as the most I would have over a full week would be two bottles, and thats only very occasionly, mostly it'd be one bottle over the week, maybe broken up into three to four nights, though sometimes two.

Seeing how you started the thread and are interested, that does indicate problem drinking patterns.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Seeing how you started the thread and are interested, that does indicate problem drinking patterns.

I disagree, over the course of a week its not that much. I can on occasion not drink at all, believe it or not over christmas I don't think I bhad anything, bar one night. There was too much traveling, and I would not drive even after one, its not worth the risk for anyones sake.

I have a friend who atends aa and have seen his level of alcholism when he was drinking (year and a half dry for him now :) ), I don't think I even rate in his league!

Once again, we are in the realm of subjectivity. Differnt views on level and acceptable intake, usually based around ones one capacity. I used, when younger. drink a hell of a lot more than I do now, and probably was heading twards alcholisim, but then I left the civil service and I was fine!!!

Advertisement