Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Question - Hatchback vs. Saloon

Options
  • 28-01-2005 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

This is question I have always wondered about but never been arsed to ask.
    Why are some cars, for example Mondeos, offered in both 4-door Saloon and 5-door hatchback versions? Would a saloon not be enough? What would be the advantage of the hatchback version - is it only about boot space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its a matter of choice and demand.

Some people find the hatch back more practicle than the saloon. Others prefer the style. My preference is the saloon, I've always bought saloons, I prefer the boot to the hatch.

Irish drivers tend to like saloons more than hatch backs. 7 out of 10 Mondeos, etc would be saloons. Where as in the UK 9 out of 10 Mondeos are hatch backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The opening into the boot on a 4 door car can often be very small. EG one time I carried a large heavy TV out to my 4 dr Primera. It would not fit into the boot. There was plentty of room for it in the boot but it could not fit through the boot opening.

On a 5 door car. this is not a problem. Also you can fold down the back seats and get really large things in there. So the 5b door car is much more versatile for carrying large objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

5 door hatch backs are ugly though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

E@gle. wrote:
    Mondeo MKII looked way better as a hatch than as a saloon IMHO

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hmmmm..... Focus saloon..... need I say more?

Really depends on the car I suppose, and on personal preference, but for the like of say the Astra and Vectra - I much prefer the hatchbacks in both, the saloons are a bit stodgy looking.

Mazda 6 is not a bad looking saloon IMO - both the hatch and saloon would be equally appealing in the style stakes to me, but I'd go hatch for the practicality.

Boot access is a big negative against saloons. While I like the A4 and S40 saloons, I'd wonder if I'd regret it when I visit the homestores of a Sunday afternoon... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Coupes look way better than the both of them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Coupes look way better than the both of them
    Of course they do, but that's outside of the hatchback vs. saloon debate. Style is a much more important factor than space, practicality for those choosing coupés over hatchbacks/saloons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You get a rear wiper with a hatchback !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Yeah - rear wiper can be good. The amount of saloons you see with the back window still covered in frost/dew in the mornings. An hour later they're trying to park and they can't see **** out the back window.

I think it's really down to style vs practicality. The hatch is a lot more practical but a lot of cars are designed as saloons. Is there a price difference too? I've never bothered to compare.

Advertisement