Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi auto .22

Options
  • 28-01-2005 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Just have aquick question to all rifle experts out there i currently own a cz .22 magnum bolt action and i am thinking of going for a semi automatic and i am just wondering what good semi-auto would i get for €1000 to €1500. Mainly used for fox hunting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

E@gle. wrote:
    Just have aquick question to all rifle experts out there i currently own a cz .22 magnum bolt action and i am thinking of going for a semi automatic and i am just wondering what good semi-auto would i get for €1000 to €1500. Mainly used for fox hunting.
    Nothing in semi auto that would be suitable for foxes, at least I don't think so. Practice your follow up shot speed with the bolt action, it will probably be quicker than a semi anyway. Can't see why you would want to change from the CZ anyway as it's a pretty good rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Ruger 10/22 in .22 magnum
    or a Henry Lever rifle?
    CZ mod. 611 if you can find one
    think Krico used to do one as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I Have gone off the idead of the semi-auto and i am purchasing a ruger .220 swift bolt action. I have Just A quick question about the licensce i have the .22 magnum can i trade it towards the swift and do i need to apply fora new license or can it just be changed. It is the same Calibre isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You can just change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

Eagle , check the cost of swift ammo first, you will pay around €2 per round for swift ammo or €40 per box , a swift is a good calibre if you are loading for it otherwise it will break you , for a comparison you can get 6.5x55 s and b 140 grain softpoints from around 12€ a box .

• Advertisement

I know my local dealer fairly well and i'll order in bulk to save money. He gives me good deals

could you change a .220 to a .270. or would you need to re-apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Unless you have a very accommodating Superintendent, you'll almost certainly have to produce a 'good reason' for a .270- usually either a deer permit from the Parks and Wildlife Service or membership of a full-bore target club.

A .220 swift is classed the same as a normal .22 lr , 22 magmum . 22 hornet etc , why I dont know as it generates more power than a .22 250 and around the same as a .223 . when you go for a swift you dont have to justify the need for a centrefire rifle e.g target shooting or deer hunting and the licences and memberships that go with it as well as getting cleared by the park etc . If you are going for a .270 you will need to prove your need for it . and fyi a .270 is overkill for foxing ( big time) . it can do it but theres not a whole pile of fun in shooting a few boxes of .270 . Ammo is also dear . Get a 6.5x55 if you are going centrefire ,nothing else will touch it for accuracy and reasonable ammo cost . other good calibres for foxing are .223 .222 .243 and .22 250 , and the new .204 ruger as well . people are going to add other calibres as well but any of these will do the job well .

oldzed wrote:
    . Get a 6.5x55 if you are going centrefire ,nothing else will touch it for accuracy and reasonable ammo cost .

I Was recommended to get a 6.5X55 at the weekend. The bullets are cheaper and it has a futher range. I think you can shoot deer With them??

I was just thinking about the .270 I mite start deer shooting next year.

• Advertisement

by the letter of the law anything .22 250 and above that shoots a 55 grain bullet or bigger can be used to hunt deer although they are slow to issue deer licenses for the smaller calibres these days . realistically if you are after are after deer then you want a minimum .243 with a 90 or 100 grain bullet, this will account for anything in ireland no problem . I would still recommend the 6.5 though , the 6.5 with a 140 grain federal soft nose it is more than capable of taking down a good size moose never mind anything else we have here plus is more accurate at longer ranges due to the heavier rounds. 6.5 ammo is also cheaper. go 6.5 you can go wrong . if you are on a budget get the cz in 6.5 its a good rifle , if not buy a tikka t3 6.5 . or if you want to spend more get a sako 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

oldzed wrote:
    if you are on a budget get the cz in 6.5 its a good rifle , if not buy a tikka t3 6.5 . or if you want to spend more get a sako 75.

Mate has a Tikka T3 6.5 x 55 ... brilliant gun, lovely trigger action and it's perfect for deer

Advertisement