Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New BMW 3 series - When ?

Options
  • 28-01-2005 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the new BMW 3 series is due to go on sale here.......and yes I did email BMw.ie...........is it a secret until they flog all the old ones ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

AFAIK - BMW don't plan on releasing any new body 3-series for the UK and Ireland until the spring of 2006. I can't remember where I read that though - it was on some motoring site before Christmas.

They're a nice car alright - but given the lead in, I'm not sure if the dealers will be dumping the current stock onto the market. That said some of you might remember what happened when the E46 was released, and if there was any value in the old body models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

heavy depreciators mind, ive heard they have the biggest profit margin of any car being built today. they are selling them for 25% more than they are worth just because of the bmw badge. still look nice in silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I read recentlyin Autoexpress that the new 3 Series goes on sale at the end of March (UK anyway). First up is the 320i, 325i and 320d. In the autumn the 316i/318i and 318d join the range. Not sure when the 330 petrol/diesel are available. The Touring I think joins in 2006 followed by the coupe a few months later. No new compact model (thank god). This has been filled by the 1 Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks folks....I notice they're giving extra free with the current one...and there's a 'register your interest in new 3 series' thingy on the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Well they ruined the 7 series.
    absolutly destroyed the 5 series.
    And finally they wrecked the 3 series.
    It.s gettin' harder to find a nice rear wheel drive cars anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Wonder will they up the spec from the usual poverty spec you get in Ireland?

Please tell me climate is standard across the range by now....

EI2JC - 73s de 2GIB.... we're everywhere, reading as well as listening!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BMW are handling the importing into Ireland and UK themselves now so UK/Eire cars have the same spec. That is why you can buy the SE spec in this country now.

But knowing BMW the cd player will still cost extra. frown.gif

cq cq cq dx rst 599 or am i in the wrong thread ? qsl? :)

QSL Stratos...didn't catch the callsign some QRN ! es Paul Ei2GIB all set for the test ! .-.-. -.-

Another couple of EI's Hang out in the Shooting forum.

Would like to get a look at the New 3 series......had a look last year but bought an A4 instead........but as it happens I might need a hatch ....so suppose will be looking at A3 and 1 series instead.

avoid the one series it looks like a pos. bmw have really ruined the 7, the 5 sort of grows on u but not as pretty as an eclass and the 3 is a bog standard car except it rear wheel drive and overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

stratos wrote:
    It.s gettin' harder to find a nice rear wheel drive cars anymore.
    I presume you mean 'new' as there are loads of lovely used ones out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

According to the cagey salesman in Joe Duffy it's mid-late summer for the new 3. Wouldn't buy a new or used E46 now as the values are artificially high and the worth of any saloon model will drop like a stone when the new model is released, even more than it would do on any other new model release.

And good God, Joe Duffy have a 120i in the showroom for about €47k. Why oh why?

Save yourself €50k and just buy an original LHD E30 M3 or a 1989 635csi, thus avoiding any 'design cues'!!!

Gatster wrote:
    According to the cagey salesman in Joe Duffy it's mid-late summer for the new 3. Wouldn't buy a new or used E46 now as the values are artificially high and the worth of any saloon model will drop like a stone when the new model is released, even more than it would do on any other new model release.

An acquaintance in work bought a new 320D lately,fairly well spec'ed one too....I happened to mention that I looked at them when I was changing but decided against it as there was a new model due - His face dropped,he didn't say but I get the feeling he wasn't aware of it !

Manufacturers should be made put'new model due' on their ads

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

would there be a big drop in the price of second hand E46 models when the new model comes out? Hoping to delve into the world of BMW summer '06 and get a second hand E46.

AFAIK It's generally accepted in the UK trade that E46 3 series values are artificially high and are about to take a serious fall. The reason is, as with most BMW's, that initial demand outstrips RHD supply (on certain models) and the used price for a year or so after the model is released is inflated. For some reason, and I don't know why, this hasn't reduced over the current models life cycle, although it could be to do with the fact there is nothing in the class that can touch the 3, even now at the end of it's life in current form. This is just as true here, partly assisted by the (bizarre) national obsession with having as newer car as possible and subsequently being ripped off even more.

Certain models hold their value justly (M3 etc, high spec) but I have seen dealers selling 00-01 318ci's r close on €30k with pretty basic spec. Putting new MV/M3 style alloys on them does not 30 grands worth make. The phased introduction means saloons will suffer first and foremost. BMW Cabriolets/Tourers/M series always hold their value well even years later.

So, best to wait until autumn/winter/06 if you want a saloon E46, or save yourself a few quid and buy a very late mega-spec E36 if you can find one (as these shouldn't really be affected much), but it's horses for courses in the end...

(Un?)fortunately for me, I'm possesed by E30 325i sports/M3's...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

es Paul Ei2GIB all set for the test ! .-.-. -.-
    Ready as I'll ever be.... let's hope I can lose the B!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lomb wrote:
    heavy depreciators mind

Nope. The most overrated price for a 3-series here is second hand, not new. The lowest depreciating cars (as a % of new price over 3 years) are Merc C220CDI and BMW 320d

friend of mine picked up a fully loaded leather and climate 325i coupe 00 with 40 on the clock for 24000 euro. doesnt sound much to me the diesels hold their money though.
    actually unkel u may b right wrt depreciation though as 00 7series are significantly cheaper than 24000 :p
    on a side note a guy 10 doors up seems to have acquired a nice 98 750 iL I must say the L does look well. lovely colour too kind of a mix between rose and wine. lovely looking car had to admire it (the engine under the bonet helped to make it a VERY desirable object to me)

The 740 IL was the car that almost broke B.M.W. had more faults than California. It was a disaster though kept well under wraps. I personally think they have lost the plot the new B.M.W.'s are horrible. The subtle sleek styling has gone. The new 5 series once sleek and elegant, looks like the batmobile, and what once said refined urgency, now says " look what I can afford" .

which year 7 are u refering too? the old 7 pre 2001 was very reliable apart from the sulphur problem. this was fixed with the 4.4v8

• Advertisement

If anyones interested, the sulphur 'Nikasil' issue should have been sorted on '99 cars onwards, but I've seen plenty of pre '99 cars that had the issue fixed under warranty (in the UK at least) so you just have to be thorough:

http://www.lestac.co.uk/bmw/nikasil.htm#what_is
    friend of mine picked up a fully loaded leather and climate 325i coupe 00 with 40 on the clock for 24000 euro

This sounds like a bit of a find, I would have had it myself because of the miles. Late (98/99) 728i's can be had for very good money in the Uk, but I couldn't find a good one with the 'Communication Pack' (Tv!) for my budget when I looked last year...keep on looking, no rush.

And now, for a 'proper' 3 series:

best to probably wait a year and pick up a 2000 or late 99 728/730i this is the only way to be sure about the bore problems. vrt really is very little on these fine cars and uk prices are low.

lomb wrote:
    avoid the one series it looks like a pos.

Lomb ?? What do you not like about the 1 series........I thought they're not bad looking motors albeit small & pricey

Ei2JC wrote:
    Lomb ?? What do you not like about the 1 series........I thought they're not bad looking motors albeit small & pricey

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1397786,00.html

i know clarkson is an idiot but he has a point here. if uve seen one in the flesh the styling is...........crap. the new 7 is definately crap and the 5 sort of grows on u. the 5s styling sets out to take bmws looks into the hi tech age. i think it does look futuristic maybe beyond its time but the 1 is a dire looking car.

also overpriced for what it is a golf is much better value for sure.

I see what you mean Lomb thanks.

On the basis of the 1's they have in Joe Duffy from (I think) about €38k-47k it's obscene. They don't look good, and the interior of the even the €47k one felt low rent. Despite the fact they are rwd and are therefore probably more entertaining to drive than most of the class, for that money (if I HAD to have a new car) I'd buy a new Mini Cooper S and a used '99 Focus for when I needed space. But I don't really need space (depsite my earlier 7 series search) so I wouldn't buy the Focus and just save myself thousands...

Actually, I'd probably go for a new Golf GTI with the DSG box (even though these don't feel as well made as the MK4) - still saving even with options, but I get space for when I occasionally need it.

Gatster wrote:
    On the basis of the 1's they have in Joe Duffy from (I think) about €38k-47k it's obscene. They don't look good, and the interior of the even the €47k one felt low rent. Despite the fact they are rwd and are therefore probably more entertaining to drive than most of the class, for that money (if I HAD to have a new car) I'd buy a new Mini Cooper S and a used '99 Focus for when I needed space. But I don't really need space (depsite my earlier 7 series search) so I wouldn't buy the Focus and just save myself thousands...

Actually, I'd probably go for a new Golf GTI with the DSG box (even though these don't feel as well made as the MK4) - still saving even with options, but I get space for when I occasionally need it.

the new vw gti is luvley much much better than any one series and much cheaper

Gatster wrote:
    If anyones interested, the sulphur 'Nikasil' issue should have been sorted on '99 cars onwards, but I've seen plenty of pre '99 cars that had the issue fixed under warranty (in the UK at least) so you just have to be thorough:

http://www.lestac.co.uk/bmw/nikasil.htm#what_is
    The nikasil problem is still hitting cars. Furthermore, I know not of any Irish car that was dealt with (only remedy for a troubled engine is replacement with one which had different bore liners). I know one guy (whose car had a full BMW service history) who approached BMW Irl and was fobbed off. He went to a dealer in NI (even though he never used them before) and they replaced the engune through BMW GB.
    However now BMW GB are only offering up to 50% of the costs of a new bore liner kit resulting in large costs for the owners.

its not affecting post march 98s is it surely? is low sulphur petrol available here ie shell pura etc to stop worsening liner peeling?
    there was a guy here a few posts back complaining about a 95 5 series running poorly this could have been the same problem surely.
    also many bmw owners have needed new cats, the reason for this is oil from bore wear getting into the exaust system and screwing up the cat and o2 sensors. high oil consumption gives this away.

• Advertisement

I was one that needed a new cat!
    Anyway the problem ran until the engine manufacturing changed in March 1998 IIRC. However, the old 1995 to March 1998 engines continue to fail.

Advertisement