Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Tyre Sizes

Options
  • 28-01-2005 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

I currently have 175/65 R14....
    Was thinkin of changing to 185/60 R14, hoping for an increase in grip
    What are going to be the implications of changing the sizes? I know the speedo is going to be inaccurate but I have used the Tyre Size Calculator and it'll only be out by 0.9%
    Am I going to use more petrol, be slower off the line, more tyre roar? I'm a bit clueless when it comes to all this.
    Advice needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You would be better off buying a more expensive tyre with a softer compound and better thread pattern than simply going for a wider tyre. The difference between the two you have shown is negligible and will only cost money. You won't notice economy or noise with identical brands of tyre in these sizes and the speedo tolerance is greater than the error the tyres will introduce, so no real concern there either. If your car is lowered, the 185 might scrub the rear arches on bumps but not if the car is standard.

Buy a set of top brand tyres - spend as much as you can afford and you will really see the difference.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Nice One for the advice interceptor

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wider tyres also increase the risk of both tramlining and aquaplaning so not always best!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Thanks Guys, think I will stick with my current setup, just spend a bit more on more expensive tyres.
    Read around and Goodyear Eagle NCT 5s seem to be a good bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fletch be careful about "tyre snobbery" if you want some good tyres but cheaper than a famous name brand then check out the Kumho range.

Mike

ps that link is exellent. I'll put it in The Knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Thw 185/60 r Should not affect your speedo as cicumference will be the same. The rule is for every 10 wider down 5 on the sidewall ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

mike65 wrote:
    Fletch be careful about "tyre snobbery" if you want some good tyres but cheaper than a famous name brand then check out the Kumho range.
    Yeah, Nankang make very good tyres too - particularly low profile fitments which cost a bomb from the big boys. The tyre speed rating is very important to watch (T/H/V/VR) as it will determine the level of grip offered by the tyre.

'c

Advertisement