Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Economy / Efficiency

Options
  • 28-01-2005 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a car and just started a new job where I'll be driving 100 km to and from work so I'll be driving 1000 km a week. So therefore I want as economical a car as possible, probably around 3 or 4 years old.

I have been looking on the web for ages for a site that shows the fuel consumption for as much cars as possible but can't seem to find the right site. Do any of you guys know any such sites?

I know that cbg shows the consumption but it's for new cars only and you have to look at each individually. I'm looking to get my hands on a list so I can make my choice (although I'm currently in Germany so it'll probably be a diesel Golf I go for, they're everywhere and pretty cheap).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try http://www.carzone.ie

Lots to choose from and plenty of photos.

On the Golf diesel though, they are not cheap in Ireland, especially used ones and most cars tend to have a harder life here also (especially diesels).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

most irish cars more than 3 years old need work doing. they arent the best looked after cars. factor an extra 500euro in for cam belt and water pump replacements and another 500 in for a new clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Try www.parkers.co.uk they have an extensive used car review section with technical info like mpg broken down by each engine in each car. As for budgeting to change a clutch in a diesel, don't bother, unless its got intergalactical mileage or has had a serious amount of tuning done, a diesel will do 200k on a single clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

One of the best I've seen is the 1.6Hdi diesel in the peugeot 307. Its does 57mpg combined and has decent power at 110bhp. The same engine is in the new volvo S40. And the new Ford Focus and Mazda 3. And the Peugot 407, and the Citroen C4 and the C5. and probably a few others I cant think of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Can't see how you could look beyond a VW Diesel if you are in Germany at the moment.
    Only other car I could think of that might suit are an Audi A2 which will do your
    100 km round trip on just over 3 litres of (Bio)Diesel or a VW Lupo diesel which
    should be very cheap to insure and might do the trip on under 3 litres of diesel if you go easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Wow 1000 km a week for work alone :eek: . My god get a diesel convert it to run on chip fat, and start hanging out around the back of chipper shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Thanks for all the help lads...

I moved over here 4 months ago (Girlfriend got a job and it was a chance to get out of Dublin). I got a job 200km from her place so we're moving somewhere in the middle next week. I brought my irish car over (1.3 yaris) and with petrol being 107 a litre (varies from 105 to 120 day to day) its another reason to go diesel (90 a litre).

The insurance isnt really a problem, the way it works here is savage. They don't really care about engine size as long as you're not taking the p!ss. They will take into account the time I was driving at home, even though I was alwways a named driver, they still view it as driving experience. This is the best part.... The insurance is decided on one main factor. How common the car is. So if you drive a Golf and have an accident, the pay out comes from the premiums of other Golf drivers. So the more common the car, the cheaper the insurance. I got a quote of 400 a year for the yaris, and I'm a 23 year old fella!

Ther germans seem to take pretty good care of their cars, they all even change their tyres for the winter months and their nct is pretty strict so even the old second hand ones seem to stay around for a while and are in good nick...

I hate the Audi A2, looks like its got a headache but the lupo might be an idea just to go to and from work. The 307 isn't a bad idea either, nice car...

Cheers again...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Why not go for the bmw530d seeing as your in germany. Its almost 200bhp and I'm getting 700 miles (dont know what that is in KM'm's) to a tank of fuel!
    Win Win!
    Or th 320D gives almost the same mileage and its over 170bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

thats one small step for man... one giant leap from lupo to 5-series

just get a scoda octavia\passet like everyone else.

Advertisement