Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL in Dublin 6

• 28-01-2005 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Moving into a new apartment behind Guiness' Storehouse, and quite frankly it seems the best product, for specs and value is NTLs. It's a brand new apartment block so I'm not sure if they'll be able to tell me / trust them to know if it's available.

The other option is IBB, Ripwave... what do you think guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

If you can get it then NTL all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

if it's a block I doubt they will let you install any antenas, anyways get ntl, and be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

CyberGhost wrote:
    if it's a block I doubt they will let you install any antenas, anyways get ntl, and be happy

Call NTL now and let them have your address otherwise get a mgt company in your apt to purchase a fibre pair and set up a lan !!!! its all the rage in Korea and Japan. Your close to the didgital hub !!! I'M MAD !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... Well I rang NTL there and gave the address, the guy wasnt really sure of anything. Said he'd send out a letter once it's available lalala. Problem is because it's a brand new building they probably don't have it in the database, previously there was nothing on the street...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Ripwave might be a good product for you , as you will be very near their Mast in the guiness storehouse.Most people who have bad ripwave signals are not as near to the Mast.I would still go for NTL if it was available if I was you.

• Advertisement

aye, was thinking that. But 100 bucks install charge, no free trial, crappy USB modem and 512Kbit vs. 750Kbit.... NTL is a winner... now all that's left is to see if I can get it.

Altheus wrote:
    aye, was thinking that. But 100 bucks install charge, no free trial, crappy USB modem and 512Kbit vs. 750Kbit.... NTL is a winner... now all that's left is to see if I can get it.
    My brother in Lucan got Ripwave last week and he told me he has it on Ethernet. I'd assume he's not telling porkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Karsini wrote:
    My brother in Lucan got Ripwave last week and he told me he has it on Ethernet. I'd assume he's not telling porkies.

I live in Lucan and have the 1.5MB NTL broadband package. Could your brother not get NTL where he is?

MickFarr wrote:
    I live in Lucan and have the 1.5MB NTL broadband package. Could your brother not get NTL where he is?
    Yes, he wanted NTL initially but after making enquiries he was told that he could only pay by Direct Debit rather than getting it added to the NTL bill. :confused:
    He shares a house with two other people so taking the money exclusively from his account wasn't a good idea. At least with IBB the others can cough up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Karsini wrote:
    Yes, he wanted NTL initially but after making enquiries he was told that he could only pay by Direct Debit rather than getting it added to the NTL bill. :confused:
    He shares a house with two other people so taking the money exclusively from his account wasn't a good idea. At least with IBB the others can cough up too.

What he should have done is setup a bank account for them 3 of them. Then they could all using online banking have put in there rent/bills splitt 3 ways each month and his problems would have been solved! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Altheus wrote:
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... Well I rang NTL there and gave the address, the guy wasnt really sure of anything. Said he'd send out a letter once it's available lalala. Problem is because it's a brand new building they probably don't have it in the database, previously there was nothing on the street...

You sure you're not in Dublin 8? That could be the reason you're not in his database, wrong postal code. I used to live near there and I was D8. D6 is further east.

hc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Drapper wrote:
    Call NTL now and let them have your address otherwise get a mgt company in your apt to purchase a fibre pair and set up a lan !!!! its all the rage in Korea and Japan. Your close to the didgital hub !!! I'M MAD !!!
    Good idea in principle. Simpler idea might be have a good business-level wireless connection installed on the roof from, say, Leap or one of several wireless companies. Then share out the connection wirelessly using WiFi to a number of apartments. This will work out cheaper than a leased line even in the "digital hub" area. Unfortunately, bandwidth will always be a lot more expensive in Ireland than Korea or Japan.

I was working in that area until recently in a building supplied by Leap wirelessly and shared out with 20 companies. No complaints. I think you could get a better connection than NTL for less money per month per subscriber but it requires a bit of organisation.

Someone originally from IrishWan was supplying apartment blocks in the IFSC area in much the same way. It worked out at 30 euros per month for a 2 Mbit connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

SkepticOne wrote:
    Good idea in principle. Simpler idea might be have a good business-level wireless connection installed on the roof from, say, Leap or one of several wireless companies. Then share out the connection wirelessly using WiFi to a number of apartments. This will work out cheaper than a leased line even in the "digital hub" area. Unfortunately, bandwidth will always be a lot more expensive in Ireland than Korea or Japan.

I was working in that area until recently in a building supplied by Leap wirelessly and shared out with 20 companies. No complaints. I think you could get a better connection than NTL for less money per month per subscriber but it requires a bit of organisation.

Someone originally from IrishWan was supplying apartment blocks in the IFSC area in much the same way. It worked out at 30 euros per month for a 2 Mbit connection.

There was a compant in THursdays Irish Times Technology suppliment putting fibrew in the Home and they are based in the city !! Cant find the paper !"!!

MAybe they will get you set up !!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

That building is not Dublin 6. Dublin 6 starts at lower Ranelagh and extends up the canal to Rathmines and then south/east as far as dartry and terenure. You are Dublin 8. If NTl is available you should get it - maybe your proximity to the digital hub will see your IBB service hitting the speeds they advertise.... mine rarely goes over 600 on a 1mb line, but it beats the sh*t out of dialup...

Ah, yes, you're quite right, it seems to be Dublin 8, despite the estate agent saying 6 (must having been trying to push the numbers lower)...

Cheers for all the help guys, will let you all know how I'm getting on.

Advertisement