Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA apologises over England DVD

• 28-01-2005 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭

FA apologises over England DVD
    The Football Association has apologised after a DVD celebrating the best post-war England internationals failed to feature any black players.

Thousands of copies of "Pride of the Nation" were included in a welcome pack for the official England fans club.

But the FA withdrew all copies after complaints and will make a new edition including several black players.

"We regret and apologise for any offence that may have been caused," the FA said in an official statement.

DVD CHOICE
    Included: Bobby Moore, Gary Lineker, Sir Bobby Charlton, Paul Gascoigne, Alan Shearer, Bryan Robson, David Beckham, Terry Butcher, Martin Peters, Chris Waddle, Stuart Pearce, Steven Gerrard

Missed out: Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Paul Ince, John Barnes, Ashley Cole, Viv Anderson

"The FA is in the process of producing a new DVD, which will include several outstanding black players, who have, of course, made a huge contribution to the national team and football in this country."

The initial list of players given to the video producers is understood to have included black players but none of them made the final cut as the running time was reduced.

"A letter will also be sent to the Professional Footballers' Association, apologising for any offence caused to any current or former players," added the FA on its website.

England defender Rio Ferdinand admitted he was surprised after hearing about the DVD.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4214617.stm

Complete madness :eek: , of the "missed out" bit above maybe John Barnes could be included, but he never produced club form for England.

Beckham, Gerrard, Waddle and Peters should not be there either IMO

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ah that is a bit of a joke. It is made up of the best English players, who just happened to be white. Its not their fault, and credit shouldn't be taken away from them like that. I don't think Rio has a case to argue there. Maybe in the future he might but not so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Harry2001 wrote:
    ... maybe John Barnes could be included, but he never produced club form for England.

June 10, 1984; Brazil 0-2 England, Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janeiro.

In the wake of their failure to qualify for the European Championships, Bobby Robson's inexperienced side lifted their game to beat Brazil.

Star of the show was a young Watford winger named John Barnes.

He scored a magnificent individual goal that may have had 'Made In Brazil' stamped on it.

http://www.peoplesgame.com/VideoFiles/stars/Barnes4.mpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Rio Ferdinand is black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

None of those players would be on my greatest england team
    while Barnes was a legend for liverpool he never really shone for England
    Rio Ferdinand - Kid. has proved nothing
    Sol Campbell - perhaps the only one close
    Paul Ince -joking right?
    Ashley Cole - See above
    Viv Anderson - Englands best footabll pundit

As for the white guys - Beckhan -Lady boy, Gazza(sorry G8)Wife beater, Pearse -Nut case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mr_angry wrote:
    Rio Ferdinand is black?

I think if the new hairstylre is a way to accentuate (sp?) it , he needs someone to take a razor to him, looks ridiculous (jason lee anyone?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Stekelly wrote:
    I think if the new hairstylre is a way to accentuate (sp?) it , he needs someone to take a razor to him, looks ridiculous (jason lee anyone?)

Yeah what i don't get is that where did it come from - is it a wig?

He must of got hair extentions - the hair is usually about another 1/4 the length of the hair b4 it was dredded. Last time i seen him it was shaved.
    Must be a readtion to the coke :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

completely stupid PC crap, the best post-war England internationals have all been white, its not their fault. Barnes was woeful for england apart from that goal against brazil, one goal does not make you 'one of the best'.

I'm sure in 10 years time the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole and Shaun Wright Philips (he should be in the team) would get included if they produce club form consistantly for country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

:rolleyes: Is it no longer ok to show white people unless a minority or two is thrown in for the pc police? Anyway well done all the black players you got in because you’re black what a achievement id be so proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If the white players for voted for fairly over the black players, the FA are being racist by attempting to be PC..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If I was a black person who got put into this DVD now I'd be offended. It's tokeinism and very very condesending to black people. There's nothing offencive about picking your best players if they happen to all be white, it's a joke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement