Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf Mk IV - Replacing the left indicator is a nightmare

Options
  • 28-01-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

Replacing the front left indicator on the golf is a nightmare - they must have just slapped the battery in as you nearly have to remove it to get the indicator bulb out/in - has anyone else experienced this problem - took me 40 minutes to perform a simple task. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

At least you got it done in the end. Will probably be slightly easier next time. Poor access to bulbs is normal in modern cars I'm afraid. Changing a bulb will usually take at least 20 minutes and cause you to swear and skin your knuckles. For some cars it's even worse eg on the Renault Megane you need to take the front wheel off to change a bulb on some versions and even then it's really fiddly. On other rmodels you need to remove the headlight and to do this you first remove the bumper/grille assembly.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

Yeah its a ridiculous idea making bulb replacement a dealer job.

I had to do my GTIs bulbs this week (both dips blew within a day of each other). Skinned hands, battling in the cold for almost an hour (most of that trying to get the retaining clips back on) and then I lose the damn retaining clip when it springs off and disappears into the engine bay. Thankfully managed to get a new one from the stealers, just in time for the NCT a day later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I am amazed to hear all the above. Especially the Megane one. Wow ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The new type Toyota Avensis is the same. Dipped bulb on the drivers side went a couple of months back. Thought it was a 10 min job as with previous cars. Was I wrong, after removing all this plastic that now seems to decorate the engine bay, I discovered that some idiot decided to put the windscreen washer funnel right behind the headlamp which meant only somebody with small hands could reach in to remove the socket. Nothing mentioned in the manual about this though! I tried but could not remove the funnel without damaging or breaking it.

Anyway after about 40 mins of trying this I eventually got the socket loose and replaced the bulb. Then the real fun began, ie. putting it back in place. Again after about 15 mins of trying to find the proper position I eventually got the socket back in place but inadvertantly broke a spring which kept it in place. So next evening when I switched on the lights I noticed that the beam was pointing down and moving about a little.

Got my mechanic to take a look at it later when the car was being serviced and he did a diy job on it to keep it in place. It hasn't moved since but it pisses me off to say that you have to go to a mechanic or garage these days to change something as simple as a bulb. mad.gif

Again, car manufactureres trying to rip people off by charging you to change a bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Mind you, it was a while ago and the older people will remember sealed beams. If you owned a ford, and the headlights went, you had to replace the car and move house too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

"Sealed bems" still exist, however with a slight difference. they have a double envelope, so the filiments do not burn if the lens is cracked. They are also availabe in Halogen and Xtra-Vison Halogen;
    See here

Got a pair on "mo truck beag"

Here is another

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

bazz26 wrote:
    but it pisses me off to say that you have to go to a mechanic or garage these days to change something as simple as a bulb. mad.gif

Again, car manufactureres trying to rip people off by charging you to change a bulb.

Agree also Bazz.....At least when I had Hondas the manual gave detailed and useful instruction on how to change the bulbs.
    Have an Audi A4 now and all the manual says is 'take to Audi dealer',and at a casual glance it doesn't look too simple...particularly the rear lights.Imagine having to do a 60 mile round trip to change a bulb

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement