Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pongolle ...out for rest of season

• 28-01-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

So its confirmed , Pongolle is out for the season and Liverpool go back to having 3 strikers ... how can they expect to compete in the league with 3 strikers and europe with 2 ... Should they buy in another player ...

They've been riddled with injuries this season and benitez is reknowned for being a 'lucky' manager ... surely we cannot expect to be 4th in Premiership or do anything in champions league .. also can see dem gettin a wopping in cardiff by chelski ... Is it more of the same from benitez ... anyone thinking "bring back houllier/dalglish" ... or is there some improvement ???

pongolle story

LK--<

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yes lets bring back houllier after 6 months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sweet Jesus, I thought I'd seen it all, but after six months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

hmmm sarcasm meter just hit 9... So obviously Benitez gets more time , but are ya optimistic he can make a difference , he's been very unlucky so far with injuries but I have not seen a drastic improvement in the football ... also he'll find it very hard to keep the likes of gerrard if there is no champions league next year ...

Sweet Jesus, I thought I'd seen it all, but after six months?
    LizardKing wrote:
    anyone thinking "bring back houllier/dalglish"

above does not fully equate to get rid of benitez .. I'm asking peeps opinions ... jeez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

as long as there are no more injuries im not overly bothered. i prefer mellor anyway. i want to see some of mellor and morientes together. i think it could work as mellor is a good finisher, morientes ight turn into a provider, taking pasess from stevie g and turning them into chances for mellor. tbh im getting a bit sick of baros' "stick your head down and run in the general direction of the goal" approach. hes not scoring consistantly.

Baros has no awarness of whats around him , his first thought is always shoot whether its on or not. no other strikers in the league take the ball on the half-way line and just run blindly towards the goal.

*EDIT* ive been very dissapointed with the team lately. the whole watford match was played in the air. what possesses a supposed top 4 premiership team to hoof every ball they get. There was no attemp to play football at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Stekelly wrote:
    ive been very dissapointed with the team lately. the whole watford match was played in the air. what possesses a supposed top 4 premiership team to hoof every ball they get. There was no attemp to play football at all.

cause they attempted to play football against Burnley and lost. They did a job against watford, dudek hadn't a save to make from what i remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What's the injury ? You would have to suspect there is somthing wrong with the training techniques used with all the injuries affecting Liverpool. Maybe WWM is right when he says they should build a hospital wing on the new stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Muppet wrote:
    What's the injury ? You would have to suspect there is somthing wrong with the training techniques used with all the injuries affecting Liverpool. Maybe WWM is right when he says they should build a hospital wing on the new stadium.

Thats about all he is right about when it comes to Liverpool..

Do we still have the same physio as we have had for the past few seasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Muppet wrote:
    What's the injury ? You would have to suspect there is somthing wrong with the training techniques used with all the injuries affecting Liverpool.

I don't think training techniques can account for your studs getting caught in the ground. When I saw the injury it looked like he'd done his cruciates, the same thing happened to two Barcelona players and it was down to the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

as i said starting the season with 2 recognised forwards and mellor/pingu hardly seems at all sensible now they are back to 2 and mellor

its not the 80's anymore were 16 players will do, if they stopped living on their past glories they might actually realise its a squad game now

the back-pass has been abolished deal with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cause they attempted to play football against Burnley and lost. They did a job against watford, dudek hadn't a save to make from what i remember.

it was hardly the same team. against watford it was the full first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:

how would of cisse and alonso's injury of been helped by different training methods?

sinama was to do with the way he landed aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because, when you push something to too high a degree, it results in a part of your body being weaker than it should be, and more susceptable to being injured.
    the sheer amount of majoy injuries coming out of Liverppol would suggest that there is something going on with their regime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Alonsos ankle was broken by a tackle. His bones dont get weaker due to training methods. Cisse broke his leg in a challenge also. Gerrard also. Pongolle got his foot caught in the ground which is used as a rugby pitch every other week. Kirkland is just injury prone.

None of their injuries could be put down to Liverpools training methods.

Nunez got crocked in his first training session at Liverpool, so it not like he really experienced whatever training regime was in place. Kewell is also one for injuries, and has been throughout his career.

PHB wrote:
    Because, when you push something to too high a degree, it results in a part of your body being weaker than it should be, and more susceptable to being injured.
    the sheer amount of majoy injuries coming out of Liverppol would suggest that there is something going on with their regime

not for bones, you cant train your bones to become weaker or stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly, so will ppl stop banging on about training/physio techniques its down to pure bad luck and some dirty play by others.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Exactly, so will ppl stop banging on about training/physio techniques its down to pure bad luck and some dirty play by others.

Mike.

i have to say i disagree with the dirty play comment. lampards tackle wasnt dirty, i have seen an awful lot worse(main from gerrard) it was just bad lucky.

lampard isnt really a dirty player aswell

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

in fairness we have spent 20 million on strikers this season, we have the europeans championships top scorer, and 2 decent back-up strikers you can hardly expect liverpool to buy more.
    Apperently our physio team are not actually God and cant just fix a broken leg or broken ankle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kewell and Smicer are both due to return in a reserves game next week I think. I'll be interested to see what Rafa does with Vlad the Paleone. I think he could do alot better under a creative manager.

Mike.

Bones do get weaker and stronger, and the more you push them the easier they can be to break.

I'm not saying its not bad luck, but I'm syaing that its definately something that should be looked into

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

mayordenis wrote:
    Apperently our physio team are not actually God and cant just fix a broken leg or broken ankle.

lol

How long has Smicer been out? I can't remember when I seen him play last

injured pre-season wasnt he?

he was always ****, cant see that changing much.

He's better than some of the other **** Houllier brought in, tbh. Rafa will probably get more out of him than Houllier could ever imagine

i am nearly better then some of the other ****e houiller bought in.

he will be good to get back considering are injury list. but i dont expect him to be here at the start of next season, he less he pulls a shocker out of the bag.

Like scoring the winner in the champions league final? But he'd probably end up scoring an o.g winning it for the opposing team

Anyone see Gerrard as a pundit on BBC for the Man u Vs Middlesborough game ?? .. he seemed very cagey when asked about his future .. very much sitting on the fence and said he'd assess it at end of the season .. unless Liverpool improve I reckon he'll walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

good riddance if he does decide too walk.We dont want players who think they are bigger than the club.If he does manage to go we have the perfect replacement in alonso and we could get in prob 4 class players for the amount of money we would get off madrid or chelsea.
    But theres a rumour from another thread which bannor confirmed as well that there will be something happening with liverpool in the next month or end of season, a possible buyout by the kraft family maybe.whom own the patriots by the way.
    Or else too morgan who is a diehard liverpool fan, hopefully watch this space.
    Liverpool fan forever!!!!

LizardKing wrote:
    Anyone see Gerrard as a pundit on BBC for the Man u Vs Middlesborough game ?? .. he seemed very cagey when asked about his future .. very much sitting on the fence and said he'd assess it at end of the season .. unless Liverpool improve I reckon he'll walk

haha, had a chuckle when he was ask it must be flattering to have clubs like madrid, chelsea, man utd and arsenal interested in him, and he says, "well i dont know about united."

mayordenis wrote:
    in fairness we have spent 20 million on strikers this season, we have the europeans championships top scorer, and 2 decent back-up strikers you can hardly expect liverpool to buy more.

Bury your head in the sand if you want but Liverpool have 9 players out only 2 have broken bones. Their injuries list makes them top of one table.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/table_current.shtml

• Advertisement

Eh is Mellor injured? It also says Giggs is injured?

Eh is Mellor injured? It also says Giggs is injured?

I don't know about mellor , Giggs is only back and may be still recieving treatment which could explain his inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Stekelly wrote:
    *EDIT* ive been very dissapointed with the team lately. the whole watford match was played in the air. what possesses a supposed top 4 premiership team to hoof every ball they get. There was no attemp to play football at all.
    I think it's basicly because we have Morientes. He can head the ball so now we kick it long (nobody will expect it and our long balls have always been very good). Think Pellagrihno is fairly keen to hoof it also but maybe that's just a lack of composure at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

LizardKing wrote:
    Gerrard is gone at the end of the season....they'res no chance he'll stay . Just as long as he goes abroad and not to Chelsea

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Gerrard is gone at the end of the season....they'res no chance he'll stay . Just as long as he goes abroad and not to Chelsea
    Cheers Lex - all the speculation was starting to get a bit old, at least the situation is now resolved :rolleyes:

p.pete wrote:
    Cheers Lex - all the speculation was starting to get a bit old, at least the situation is now resolved :rolleyes:
    come on pete....we're not that naive any more...he's off for definate
    he's been going on for ages about this. right now I'm thinking, good a player as he is, for £30m we should sell. Think back to when we could have sold Owen for £35m and held on and only got 8m. If same happens here, it would be a bad move.
    Benitez would use that money well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i would definately take the 35 million if thats on offer, heard a rumour on one site that we would get samuel as hes unsettled in madrid, owen and guti in exchange plus money
    As long as we get good players in return for the money we get for gerrard

The same was said when beckam left for madrid, utd survived so can the pool,Liverpool is much more than just steven gerrard!!!

If we get good players in return then possibly but seriously we've spent several times 30mil over the last 5/10 years and never have we gotten anyone close to as good as Gerrard.

Good point about Owen and that was bad management - I'd hate to see it again. Also we should have got money for Macca

galwaydude wrote:
    heard a rumour on one site that we would get samuel as hes unsettled in madrid, owen and guti in exchange plus money

Thats nice of Madrid considering the smart money's on him going to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

i have to say i disagree with the dirty play comment. lampards tackle wasnt dirty, i have seen an awful lot worse(main from gerrard) it was just bad lucky.
    So its a total coincidence that he needed one more yellow card for a ban and the next match was against Scunthorpe!!!

While I would obviously prefer Gerard to stay, 35 million would solve alot of problems.. If he wants to remain at Liverpool then we need to keep him but if his heart isn't in it then its time to cash in..

Gettting Samuel as part of the deal would be fine assuming he could just stop fowling all around him.. Guti would be grand also.. Can't see Owen coming back so soon however, for pride reasons at least.

• Advertisement

While I would obviously prefer Gerard to stay, 35 million would solve alot of problems..

Not a chance of them getting £35 for him in todays financial climate. £20 to £25 miax would still be good money for him.

They don't need to sell him .... With the talk of takeovers and the club getting bought out or a money injection , they might be able to convince him to stay ... Its not gonna be like a Chelski takeover but any takeover should have some money to buy in new players ...

it really depends on his patience that he has at the end of the season whether he's willing to wait a few more seasons until they can start challenging...
    I don't think he has which is a shame because I know if he leaves and they "hopefully" did challenge, he'd be gutted watching Carra lifting the Premiership trophy... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Can't see Rafa using Smicer that much if only to give him a run out for other clubs to assess his fitness before making an offer.

Is he out of contract at the end of this season?

Also did Birmingham also want him along with Diao?

Gerrard if he goes, will go for unreal money.

Man Utd, Chelsea and Real Madrid are the richest 3 clubs in the entire world.
    Every single one of them wants to buy him.

Assume he doens't want to go to United, cause hes a scouser, he probably won't mind between Real(Owen Woodgate and Beckham) or Chelsea(Lampard, Terry)
    30 mil
    35 mil
    40 mil
    50 mil
    80 mil

Chelsea, if they want him, will pay whatever.
    Real have 169 mill to spend on transfers, to buy Gerrard Adriano and someone else

PHB wrote:
    Gerrard if he goes, will go for unreal money.

Man Utd, Chelsea and Real Madrid are the richest 3 clubs in the entire world.
    Every single one of them wants to buy him.

Assume he doens't want to go to United, cause hes a scouser, he probably won't mind between Real(Owen Woodgate and Beckham) or Chelsea(Lampard, Terry)
    30 mil
    35 mil
    40 mil
    50 mil
    80 mil

Chelsea, if they want him, will pay whatever.
    Real have 169 mill to spend on transfers, to buy Gerrard Adriano and someone else
    I agree, he is probably one of the 3 most wanted players in Europe by the big clubs apart from Ronaldhino & Schevshenko. Min is 35m....could end up breaking Zidanes transfer record..If Chelsea want him and Liverpool are prepared to sell, then they will pay big euros

Advertisement