Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a GAA computer game knock mental barriers?

Options
  • 28-01-2005 7:13pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the interest Ireland’s media has shown, I’m beginning to think that IR Gurus/Sony’s GAA game might just knock a few mental barriers of what games are about in Ireland, if it’s even finished (the Irish Times {subscription only} had a bit about the game’s delays and other problems today, which I *cough* wrote about here ).

The big question is there any substantial mental barriers for games in Ireland, or is it just the same as people who have never used a computer etc?

And if there is would a sports game, even a GAA football game, help much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

monument wrote:

The big question is are there any substantial mentally barriers for games in Ireland, or is it just the same as people who have never used a computer etc?

Ireland had or may still have the highest percentage of consle per household 2nd only to japan. :confused:

Whats your point?

The point of an Irish based game ? If so i sure it will sell reasonably well here but no way it would make its development costs unless its a Torque game :D

kdjac

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

KdjaC wrote:
    Ireland had or may still have the highest percentage of consle per household 2nd only to japan. :confused:

Yes it has, but lets not forget about the rest of the population. But maybe it's too late for all the 25+/30+ (?) year olds who have no real interest?

monument wrote:
    Yes it has, but lets not forget about the rest of the population. But maybe it's too late for all the 25+/30+ (?) year olds who have no real interest?

The playstation generation are the main buyers of games here (sadly) most people who have an interest in GAA will buy the game. Iim sure the GAA themselves will promote it. Globally its an easy way to market yourself while someone else pays.

The Times would pick up on it and may even review it.

I just hope its a decent game with online mode and irish commentary :D

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    The playstation generation are the main buyers of games here (sadly) most people who have an interest in GAA will buy the game. Iim sure the GAA themselves will promote it.

That’s what I mean won’t there be a better chance that more people are pulled into the world of games, even if they are using their son's PS2. Or have those type of people being attracted already by other sports games? At the very least it should raise the profile of games in the Irish media in a more cultural way.
    KdjaC wrote:
    The point of an Irish based game ? If so i sure it will sell reasonably well here but no way it would make its development

I would imagine that IR Gurus’ are using their Australian football game engine for the GAA game, and with (a few) tweaks and different surroundings - hey presto… well not that simple, but I’m sure they must have had the GAA game, and a need to easy modify the engine, in mind while they were developing it.
    KdjaC wrote:
    unless its a Torque game

Torc?

So basically its a mod of another game , got a link to the Aussie game?

Torc that 3 euro or somfin garagegames engine.

I cant see the game raising the profile of games themselves, its already fairly high penetration here.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Basically anything that is made using any engine is a mod in one way or another, but they are all different games at the end of the day.

Oh, you did mean Torque. I just got confuse with the Irish developer and engine Torc -which is completely different (and I don’t think the are making a game based in Ireland).

The developers site - http://www.irgurus.com/, their second Aussie football game is only coming out in May, or sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

even iv it did come out, it wouldn't have licenced names or netin

fitzer666 wrote:
    even iv it did come out, it wouldn't have licenced names or netin

Of the players - but that could still be solved.

Advertisement