Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your educated opinions pleaze?

• 28-01-2005 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Puzzle this one out...

I'm with ESat, but want wireless for my laptop. Current setup is:

1 XP PC sharing (over ICS & Ethernet Switch) internet with a 98 PC and an iBook.

I'm thinking of switching to Eircom, getting that wireless modem free and doing this:

Mac iBook on Wireless connection.
    XP PC on wireless connection - sharing over ICS that connection with the 98 PC

Anyone tell me if they think that'll work?

Grateful as ever,

Flurby

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Theres no point in switching over to Eircom just for a wireless router. The money you save with Esat you can buy your own wireless router. You can buy a wireless router with a built in modem for about €100 or a wireless switch for about €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Why are you using ICS when you have a router and switch? You should plug the switch into the LAN port of the Esat router, then plug all PCs into the switch. Put all the PCs on the same IP scheme as the router (192.168.1.x), set the default gateway to the IP of the router (192.168.1.1 probably) and the DNS server to 194.125.2.240. Voila, all PCs on the Internet with out ICS and no need to have the "master" PC on.

You can do the same thing with the wireless router from Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flurby

I don't have a router... I signed up in the good ol days when Esat were giving a crappy usb modem, ICS is my only option. :-(

Also, don't stand to save much with ESat that I know.. don't they both charge 39.99 per month?

Flurby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Esat charge €39.99 for 8gb a month, Eircom charge €39.99 for 4gb a month (or €55 for 8gb)

Bummer! Well anyway, if you do get the wireless one from Eircom it'll work as I explained above. Or you could get say a Zyxel wireless router for your Esat connection...

• Advertisement

Cheers, I've sortof given up. Too much hassle, will keep using the iBook plugged into Ethernet. One last idea though, see what ye think: I can get a wireless card for the XP PC that's doing the ICS for about 30quid. D'you think I can just share the Net through that, as well as the hardwired ethernet network? That'd be it sorted :-)

Excuse me if this is a stoopid oidea ;-)

Flurby

Never tried setting up a peer-to-peer wireless network, nevermind throwing ICS into the mix so I'm not sure. I'd imagine it should work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Once both the PC and the laptop have wireless cards you can set up a peer-to-peer (or ad hoc) network very easily. The range won't be as good and you will need the PC on to be connected on the laptop but it is very simple to set up.

If you need instructions just PM me.

Hehe,

Cheers Zenith, I like a challege ;-)

When you say "won't be good" regarding the range, do you mean "will be absolute crap" or "should cover your (modest) house but no further" Clown Man?

Once again, thanks for your comments - I'll let ye know what I'm doin!

Flurby.

Advertisement