Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ad/campaign for a game?

Options
  • 28-01-2005 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, have you ever come across an ad or a campaign for a console/pc game that just makes you drop your mouth and fumble around with cash looking for money to buy it until you read a review which slates it? Or do the ads ever live up to the game?
    Personally, the best ads that spring to mind are the gangster themed one for 'The Getaway' The 'happy' slowed down and creeped up music adds a chilling atmosphere to the already oppressive and shockingly visual scenes with real characters. It perfectly captures the type of game it is trying to advertising.
    The scene with the man crying in the cubicle always gave me chills.

GTA:SA gets a mention aswell especially with the intro to Welcome to the Jungle, of course that game didn't need much to make it look good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zelda OOT ....."will you get the girl " induced many droolling moments , altho one of nintys 1st actual ads in europe.

Other would the Mario 64 ads, and them damn GTA Sa ads made me buy a PS2 on release day and GTA SA.... Advertising works :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Final Fantasy 7: Ominious announcer voice "The said it couldn't be done in a major motion picture........they were right". A moxy of clips, then the title.

Halo 2: Just the fact they did in movie trailer style and had it on in the cinema. You hear a voice saying aliens are invading, only one man can save them, etc. You're thinking it's just another action film, and then you're jaw drops when you see it's Master Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Crucifix wrote:
    Final Fantasy 7: Ominious announcer voice "The said it couldn't be done in a major motion picture........they were right". A moxy of clips, then the title.
    And then they went and tried anyway. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

"john Romero Wants To Make You Bitch

Suck It Down"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Not for a game, but the DS "'Touch Me!' campaign should be interisting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The ad for when the Snes first came out. It just showed a montage of its best games such as Mario world, Contra 3, Axelay, SF2 and included liberal mode 7 effects. It was beautiful. Its the way all game adverts should be made.

The Resident Evil 1 ad with the bath full of blood was excellent.

The one that made me laugh the most was rock and roll racing: 'The most unrealistic racing game ever!'

Not an advert but when I saw the review of Gunstar Heroes on Gamesmaster I was sold. Still don't know to this day what they gave it I was so in awe. It must have been extremely high because the reviews couldn't stop gushing about how brilliant it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The ad for Speed Freaks permanently imprinted itself on my brain. Never actually made me want to buy the game though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Prolly the Final Fantasy 8 ads. I remmeber being shocked that it was actually a computer game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Maria Whittaker in the old 80s Barbarian ads for the C64 and speccy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The American ads for the DS - "Touching is good!"
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Not an advert but when I saw the review of Gunstar Heroes on Gamesmaster I was sold. Still don't know to this day what they gave it I was so in awe. It must have been extremely high because the reviews couldn't stop gushing about how brilliant it was

Just dug it out of my magazine archives and it does look a bit chemically influenced alright. It's still nowhere near as gushy as the PC Gamer UK review of Deus Ex (or, now that I think about it, space trippers). They make it sound like a second coming.

Fav ad has to be the Mechwarrior (can't remember which one) ad that they ran in the middle of the night on sci-fi a few years ago. They just ran the intro and gave the format details at the end. Those early mechy games had intros far beyond their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

KdjaC wrote:
    Zelda OOT ....."will you get the girl " induced many droolling moments

I remember the "Will you get the girl... or play like one?" ad campaign was infamous for getting Nintendo a load of backlash from female gamers and the industry in general.

There's a banned ad for the Xbox on a promo disc I got a year or two back: the baby exploding into the sky out of his mother's womb, culminating with the aged baby crashing into his grave. The people who have seen it know what I'm taking about. It's amazing to watch really, some ad I tell ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the posters for sonic and knuckles, which was just the image on the box but its such a god damn cool image!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

KdjaC wrote:
    Zelda OOT ....."will you get the girl " induced many droolling moments , altho one of nintys 1st actual ads in europe.

Gave me goosebumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

the tv trailer with the hot chick getting clad in the power suit was cool...
    but the "all yore bees" campaign was, in my honest opinion, the greatest piece of advertising i've ever seen.

good enough to make me buy a game on its lauch day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Playstation's "The 3rd Place" was a pretty weird campaign...The girl with the weird shaped head and flat Dublin accent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I dont know about the best, but here is the WORST ad for a game EVER. There is no arguing with this decision. Ad for Mario sunshine which was quickly pulled once they realised how rediculous it was.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=3927&type=mov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playstation's "The 3rd Place" was a pretty weird campaign...The girl with the weird shaped head and flat Dublin accent...

I hated those ads. In fact i hate all the recent Playstation ads. They have absolutely nothing to do with games. They should realise that the advertising campaign for PS1 was so successful because like the SNES ad they showed the games in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I remember some of the original PlayStation ads used to have "hidden" messages in them - usually cheats for the game. I used to pore over my copies of EGM trying to find these hidden messages.

Advertisement