Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO woe

Options
  • 28-01-2005 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Anyone else put down completely random things on their CAO because you have no idea what you want to do? God bless the inventor of the change of mind form..............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Have you already submitted it? I know you can change your mind but just be careful that you put down any courses marked as restricted, ones with interviews and portfolios etc before 1st of Feb.... it's too late to put them down after then. Just in case you're even slightly interested in one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Law/Medicine/Pastry design!

God bless the inventor of the change of mind form..............

True dat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

just sent off my cao today, hadnt a clue wa i wanted to do...threw down anything i saw!

ahhhh my pre's are monday!!!! screwd comes to mind really...! oh well atleast dey'll be over and done with and i can enjoy my midterm and go wild!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

deciding what you would like to do and changing your CAO application would be a good idea for your midterm!
    there are so many people.. including myself who had no idea what they wanted to do in college, and ended up doing a course that they weren't sure of only to change their minds then.
    Seriously, put some thought into it and ask people who have done the course you are choosing.. post here even.
    It's not worth doing a course for the sake of it.. you will definitely regret it if you have no real interest in it.
    Good luck in your mocks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

still have to do mine. Not really sure about it. Ah well.

• Advertisement

Feel free to wander into the college boards/websites too, ask questions there.

I started out doing a course I thought I wanted to do, and then found out it wasn't for me at all. Switched into another course after 3 months.

Talk to your guidance councellor (if you have one) or as another user said, post any questions you have on boards - but if you're in doubt, there's always the possibility of taking a year out, then going into college. There's no rush at all - I'm 19 and I'm in 3rd year (of a 4 year degree!), and am seriously thinking about taking a year out next year. What's the rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Just for the sake of a light at the end of a tunnel, here's the exam timetable so you can say exactly when you're done.

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/WrittenLC05EV.pdf

They've also extended a load of exams (Geography, English, Irish, History) by 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

CAO
    ****. Knew I was forgetting something.

If you don't know what you want to do, don't worry about it.
    Get a hold of descriptions of all the courses, read through and look for something you like.
    The only great thing about knowing what you want to do now is that you have a solid goal to work towards, you know exactly how much points you want and you can figure out how to get them. And if you really want to get into that course, you'll work harder for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I've put it off to the very last minute, expecting some inspiration to direct me in my decision. I still have no clue.

I'll.. submit it later.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Hmmmm.....2 days left. I said Id have it sent by monday this time last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

there are so many people.. including myself who had no idea what they wanted to do in college, and ended up doing a course that they weren't sure of only to change their minds then.
    Seriously, put some thought into it and ask people who have done the course you are choosing.. post here even.
    It's not worth doing a course for the sake of it.. you will definitely regret it if you have no real interest in it.

This is exactly what I would advise.

Also, try and talk to someone who is doing the course and find out exactly what they do. I know lots of people whose courses were totally different to what they had expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

They've also extended a load of exams (Geography, English, Irish, History) by 20 minutes.

They did that last year too. And the year before, I think.

At least they're saying they'll give out the dates for the extra exams this time round. Gits had me running in circles trying to find out about my Japanese exam last year.

And yeah, I agree with the others, find out every single little detail about the course(s) you're looking at. As an example, my class was 29 at the start and at the end of the first semester it'd whittled down to 16. Be sure you know exactly what you're in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

ah cao woe. yes but you can always change your mind online. I heard (from my cg teacher) that 1 girl changed her mind 87 times, the last time being 5 mins before the online form closed in june . (last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I heard (from my cg teacher) that 1 girl changed her mind 87 times, the last time being 5 mins before the online form closed in june . (last year)

And I thought I was bad with 8 times in the week running up to the closing date...
    I didn't do too badly from it though. Even if it did boil down to closing my eyes with the NUIG page of the CAO handbook open and and pointing blindly at some course.

Advertisement