Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

quick question about win95

• 28-01-2005 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭

i've never luckily had to use this for a long time but i'm totally familar with it but does win95 support sollid state mp3 players?

the reason i ask is my brothers friend has bought one and he has windows 95 and has no idea why it isn't working, where as it's working fine in my computer win Xp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I presume it use's a USB connection, if it is the old version of win95 it will not support USB. Has to be windows 95 OSR2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

eww god i'd imagine it's a old win95 pc. (i've never seen the pc in question)

so what i'm doing it sticking an mp3 ripper on a cd and giving them step by step instructions on how to rip cd to mp3 to mp3 player.

and if it doesn't work get them to bring it back and hopefully they'll learn their lesson to read the box.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are about 5 different versions of windows 95

Look at the CD that they installed from
    The last one (2.5) recognises USB - says so on the CD
    The second last one (2.1?) can be updated to recognise USB - it's a download on the microsoft site - and it can be a pig to setup and install, load-order thing. RTFM and backup the *.DAT files in the windows folder at the very least...

Anything pre OSR2 won't ever support USB - even with all the patches - so if it's not an OEM CD ain't gonna happen

2K/XP have support built in for MOST generic USB memory devices and if no then manufacturers generally provide drivers for them.

Note: recognising a USB port is the first step, you then need drivers for the device. eg: Many devices will only support windows 98 SE and not earlier 98 releases. Moral of the story - unless it says on the Box and the driver disk that it supports your version of windows 9x then it don't

I've heard of device specific drivers for USB in NT but have never seen one and wouldn't want to have to get them working.

Advertisement