Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Replicas

Options
  • 29-01-2005 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi... Ive traced a relative who died in vietnam. I want to (As a present) buy a replica M16a1/a2 or very simelar lookalike to give to grandfather ( Son of vet ). Do you need a liscense to bring one in to Ireland, or does anyone know where to get one in ireland. It doesnt need to fire etc, or have moving parts, once its of reasonably good quality. It will be display only. I really need help on this, any URl's listed will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

Try the following....

UK based...

http://modelguns.co.uk/

http://www.modelguncollector.co.uk/

Asian websites...

http://www.endoshoji.com/model-guns/page019.html

http://www.tokyohobby.net/shop/product_search.php

I'd try and buy on the asian webpages as they they are usually 200 or so euro cheaper than in the Uk. As for Ireland there are no shops that stock Replica/Model Weapons that I know of.

They are legal as well.. there basically just "expensive toys". have 3 myself worth around a 1000 euro so its worth it to shop around. :)

PS you dont need a licence for them but common sense still applies (dont bring them outside, Hire them to nasty ppl etc..) THere shouldnt be a problem also bringing them over on the plane (check Dublin airports luggage guidelines on their website) as long as they are checked baggage and not Hand luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Hmmm....just be careful of anything in the AR15 category,wether shooting or not.[see my post on this thread ].
    The AR15 is readily identifible by the thickest garda or customs officer as a weapon used by the IRA,and therefore in some minds AR15= IRA= person with one = dodgey chacter/criminal best arrested and hassled for evermore.
    As you say you might have the most ligitimate reason own one,but what YOU and THEY consider ligit is two different things.
    And YES you DO need a liscense for ANYTHING that projects a missile[best way to describe a firearm] here in Ireland.That includes airsoft weapons,and deacts.
    However on the deacts the Gaurds arent too bad about liscensing them.Usually they will,if they know you well enough issue a "station liscense"
    [basically station letterhead with stamp authorising you to own said deact] Usually done with deact family heirlooms from the rising or war of independance/civil war. still charge you for it tho :mad:
    Best bet is to get a stage or prop gun.they look,feel ,strip like the original,but their metal and internals are totally different to the original so it is impossible to reactivate or fire anything from them.All in all it boils down to wether the local knows you well enough and you arenot going to do somthing stupid with it,and he knows enough to realise the difference between the types of deacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Lads, this seems to be a good a point as any to point out that this is a "shooting" forum. Replicas and deact's don't shoot, so are not really relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Hmmm....just be careful of anything in the AR15 category,wether shooting or not.[see my post on this thread ].
    The AR15 is readily identifible by the thickest garda or customs officer as a weapon used by the IRA,and therefore in some minds AR15= IRA= person with one = dodgey chacter/criminal best arrested and hassled for evermore

The IRA used AR18s, although the common designation used was "The Armalite" or "Widowmaker"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Thanks all for your assistance.....appriciated.

As i said, this replica would be for display only ( In fact, I am buying Display Case monday ) and it would not bother me if it was made from rubber or composite or whatever. The problem im having with model gun sellers, www.modelguns.ie for example, is that they only do blowback gas, side bulet ejection system replicas. These things are like the real thing, and they eject " Spent " bullets like the original. The best price i had gotten on this type was 350 Euro ( Way above my budget ) And you cannot seem to get a replica that is "just" a lookalike of the original. I also find it hard to believe that no-one in Ireland does theese! Thanks agin..

Subliminal

• Advertisement

ITS www.MODELGUNS.CO.UK and not WWW.MODELGUNS.IE as i originaly said..

civdef wrote:
    Lads, this seems to be a good a point as any to point out that this is a "shooting" forum. Replicas and deact's don't shoot, so are not really relevant.

I would like to point out that i chose this cat. as it was nearest to description as i could get. Is there a forum for replica's models? I appriciate all help, and was totally confused as to where to go for help with this.

Subliminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

Subliminal wrote:
    I would like to point out that i chose this cat. as it was nearest to description as i could get. Is there a forum for replica's models? I appriciate all help, and was totally confused as to where to go for help with this.

Subliminal.
    can u bring guns to ireland??!!! never read the Law so ! can u???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

The IRA used AR18s, although the common designation used was "The Armalite" or "Widowmaker

True Zak,
    however they used anything they could get.
    the AR15,XM177[aka colt commando] colt CAR ,the armalite AR180 more so than the AR18 which was a full auto weapon and the Ar180 was a semi and pretty cheap to buy over the counter at appx $325.It was anything that could be got in quantities.Have a look at the Marita Anne haul pics of 1984[5]
    AR15s CARS and nothing much else.
    Hence the garda paranoia of this weapon,followed closely by AK clones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement