Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DOS pc connecting to a Novell Server :)

• 29-01-2005 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Ok I've been giving a lovely project to complete :)

Dos Ver 6.2 a 3com NIC and to connect this to a Novell 4.12 Server

great really going back to the past!

Ok I have dos loaded :) really tricky one I know I need to get a Novell client for Dos and also Dos drivers for the NIC and bind these into the client using IPX.SPX protocol but I havent a clue where to start any out there done this lately ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

any one ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is the older way

http://www.lothlorien.net/collections/computer/novell3.html

Step 6 - Build workstations and server boot file
    You should now run WSGEN, on another computer, from a COPY of the original diskette. This will generate the IPX.COM file needed for the workstations. You must run the IPX.COM and one of the NET.COM files (either NETx.COM, EMSNETx.COM, or XMSNETx.com) to connect the workstation to the network. You may also decide to use the newer BNETx.com file to support both regular and burst mode transmissions for increased throughput.

You will need to copy the IPX, a version of NET.COM (NETx or BNETx recommended) to a bootable DOS floppy. You must also copy the NET$OS.EXE file from the OSEXE disk to this same disk. Finally you will need the SETVER.EXE program if you are running DOS 6.0 or above.

@ECHO OFF
    A:\NET$OS
    A:\IPX.COM
    A:\NETX.COM
    F:
    LOGIN

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is the newer way
    http://www.madge.com/_assets/downloads/lsshelp8.0/LSSHelp/DrvInst/DOSODI/DSODrvIn.htm

The following is a sample AUTOEXEC.BAT:

LSL (Novell supplied)

NESL (Novell supplied)

MADGEODI

IPXODI (Novell supplied)

NETX or VLM (Novell supplied)

can't find the old boot disks and deleted the folder from an old laptop last week :(
    so the links above are only a starting point - the main trick is getting drivers for the network card - eg: the mageodi above is card specific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, not sure why you're trying to do this, but the easiest thing to do would be to download a bootdisk from Novell. Their cool solutions website has exactly what you're looking for.
    It's IP or IPX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This is the older way
    Brings back memories. Mostly painful ones.

(very much the older way at that:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I have seen systems using mutliuser DOS connecting to novell servers and also to Windows networks, its a system called Real 32 see link

http://www.imsltd.com/

Advertisement