Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Enabling DV-in on JVC GR-D23

• 29-01-2005 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Just was browzing google and found that many new DV camcorders that only have DV out can be enabled to be DV-in aswell by using software connected to the camera.
    I have looked everywhere for enabling DV-in on my JVC GR-D23, but have found nothing to say wheather it can be enabled or that it cant be.
    If anyone knows any more info about this id be greatfull if you could help me :)
    Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I was looking in to doing this for my sony camera, but it involved making my own cable, downloading the cameras BIOS through it, patching it, uploading it back to the camera, and using some special remote control whenever I wanted to record dv in.
    Needless to say, I couldn't be arsed.
    I recall seeing easier ways though, like some cameras I think would work with just the remote control.
    I see what you mean about google though... is this camera new on the market? if it is, it might take the camera hacking gurus a while to figure it out and add a "how-to" for it.
    I'd suggest looking for more generic google results by just searching for "JVC" and whatever keywords you want for "enable dv-in"... you might find some models similar to yours and at least get an idea of how easy that range of cameras are to enable and what's involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well from further research into this alot of websites dont show my camera or have any listing to it some say "If your camera is not here, DV-in is disabled by hardware not software", i think this may mean that there is some sort of connection in the camera not soldered to the PCB or somthing, anyway i think this camera is relitivly new on the market since mabey November 2004, the only JVC cameras they seem to have hacks for are the ones that end in GR-DX*** while mine dos'nt show a X at the end of the Model no.
    Also whats the E at the end of the model no. mean?
    Ive seen GR-D23 on websites but mine's GR-D23E and it looks exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

the E simply refers to the european model if you want i have a device that enables my camera temperarily while i need to record back onto it its called a dv enabler it connects to the camcorder through the jlip connection which i think most JVC camcorders have.
    i picked it up in alliance electric on georges st they sold me my camcorder too so i was able to test it in the shop before i bought it. give them a call

the product is a holdan dvmax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

eoinf, I would take up the offer but my JVC does'nt have a JLIP connection nor a usb only a DV output, so im kinda fecked up on it. I e-mailed a website and got a reply stating that the model (GRD-23) is'nt hardware enabled to recieve DV-in data, thats why the camera is only available in europe, aperantly.
    AH WELL, when I get a good bit of money together ill invest in a good pro. camera, I only got this camera mainly because of me goin to New york, anyway thanks for your help, and "eoinf" thanks for the offer.

Advertisement