Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out - what to bring?

Options
  • 29-01-2005 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Don't forget some sheets/pillowcases/duvet etc. Man, those first few nights in my apartment were cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How far from home are you moving? You're guaranteed to forget something so you'll definitely be making a second trip :)

Are you moving to your own place? Last time I moved out I moved into a houseshare so at least I didn't need kitchen utensils and stuff.

Important thing you didn't mention: Bed linen.
    Secondary things: Alarm clock. cds/dvds (though I'm probably better off shoving mine in the bin, they don't half tie you to a place). Computer? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Paracetamol and plasters (will probably need a scissors as well). Nothing worse than tearing your house apart looking for either of these with a splitting headache or a big fecking gash in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Paracetamol and plasters (will probably need a scissors as well). Nothing worse than tearing your house apart looking for either of these with a splitting headache or a big fecking gash in your hand.
    Reminds of my first day in our brand-spanking new house when I spent the day sealing the concrete floors (as I knew it was going to be quite a while before we could afford carpets). The new fridge was delivered, and while ripping off the cardboard packing with my pen-knife, I managed to slice a deep cut into my finger.

Not too serious in normal circumstances, but when on your own in a new house with no tissues, no bog-roll, no rags or cloths, no plasters, no dressings, no phone to call for help, the options are very limited. I end up having to sit down on the kitchen floor holding my finger for about 30 minutes until the bleedings slowed enough to allow me to drive back to civilisation for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RainyDay wrote:
    bog-roll
    ++

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Me too. Going in about 2-3 weeks. Parents bought a new house so myself and brother are going to rent it from them :D
    Only prob is I'm not going to have a PC. The new one I got last year was for dads business along with my gaming. Looks like I might finally have to buy my own or no gaming/internet. A huge bonus moving out is i will be in a BB area, yipee :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Swaneck

Most family kitchens have a spare set of knifes hanging around as an unused present or failing that just borrow a good chopping knife. Also take that spare chopping board that no one uses anymore.

On a more general point see if you can take any spare kitchen stuff like knives, cheese greater, baking tray (good for oven chips), roasting dish that you never miss until you have to buy it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

oh and a tin-opener and cork-screw!

Cork_girl wrote:
    oh and a tin-opener and cork-screw!
    Well if you have those two essential items you will never starve or be short of friends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

well you might .. it is a way of getting to know the neighbours.. corkscrews are probably the most frequently borrowed item!!

• Advertisement

Wise in the ways of the world is the man who turns up at a party with both a cork screw and a bottle opener

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Cork_girl wrote:
    oh and a cork-screw!

you offering :D

I never leave home without either item. It a bit like being Superman except where Superman's superpowers enable him to save the world mine enable me to show up at the arm of some distressed owner of an uncorked bottle of wine/beer with an opener, two glasses and the gleam of anticipation in my eye.

It is not as useful to mankind as what Superman does but I have always being grateful for the gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You could do worse than to pick up some foam earplugs from the chemist too.. You'll be sleeping in a strange place, so the last thing you need is for noise to keep you awake. Bring a pen and paper aswell, so that when you get there, you can write down the things you need :-)

K.

Advertisement