Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone does construction studies,please help!

Options
  • 29-01-2005 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm doing a leaving cert project on the wall and the roof.My model consists of a cavity wall on the left,timberframe wall on the right,slating roof on the top of the cavity wall and finally tiling roof over the timberframe wall.

My problem is that i don't know what experiments should i write in my report.I just can't think of any experiments to write.There must be 3 experiments to be include in the report.Anyone out there have any ideas please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Not totally sure of the layout you have there. But from your account I think the experiments should dealwith the difference between to two different types of building methods.

so the first experiment should be the different loads at both wall plate and foundation level on both sides. best way to represent this is by using a stress force diagram.

Another experiment could be the U values of both types not really sure how to get that though.

Thirdly you could do a cost benifit analysis of both types

hope that helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 csadi

thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dont know if relevant or not but you could look at cost for cut and trussed roof systems together with time/cost breakdown for labour and materials.

Phone "Homebond" and they may give you a little assistance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

different types of insulation?

I think the experiment with different types of insulation is a very good idea.Thanks mate!

• Advertisement

Does anyone know where to get the exam paper for this subject?.I was looking for this for ages now and i couldn't find it anywhere.Does it even exists?
    I've looked at the percentage of student whom got a honor last year and i found out that 85% of them did get grade C and higher.There must be exam paper somewhere because the theory exam is not that easy and it carries 50% in the real exam.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The most obvious experiment , which is very relevent in todays current building boom , is speed of construction methods, between the two. Block cavity construction is totally site based construction, whereas timberframe construction is currently heading towards major off site fabrication and production, for wall panels, floors, roof panels, deckings ect.
    Also the cad design methods could be considered. Block construction needs only standard plans, elevations, sections ect, whereas timberframe uses cad design for the construction of all panels and roof, material lists , structural
    reports ect,
    Good luck with your project.

Hope this helps

kadman

Advertisement