Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 206

Options
  • 29-01-2005 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Well, since I passed my test the other day, i'm now getting affordable insurance quotes - approximately €1270 for TPF&T on most 1.4 litre hatchbacks (including the 206). So now I'm going to be looking to buy my first car within the next 6 months or so (insurance on my bike is up in May, I won't be renewing!). Selling my bike will raise just about enough cash to pay for a year's insurance.
    Anyways, I have my eye on the 1.4 206, of 1998/99 vintage. I love the look of these cars, but don't know much about them.
    Anyone got any horror stories or information on things like reliability, problems to look out for when buying one second hand, etc? 3/5 door doesn't bother me.

Cheers.

Stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I don't like pugs, but I gotta say they handle well. If your budget is tight I would go with a Jap car. I'v said it before I'll say it again, I'v see'n turnips with more presence, but you can't beat a Toyota Starlet. I wonder are we gonna' see the buy a 15 yr old m5 debate here again?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

After googling around and seeing stories about how the pedals are small and really close together on a Pug 206, making them fairly unsuitable for someone with size 12 feet like myself, I'm now leaning towards the mark-II renault clios (i.e. 1998/99/00 models).

Same questions apply again :)

With regard to the starlet, I just don't like them, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

stwphen, i just got a new 206 2 weeks ago and i would thoroughly reccomend one. It's my first car too and I love it. Handles great and even though mines only a 1.1, i still find it quite nippy. As for the shoe size thing, im a 14 and I can manage alright. Good Luck with your choice anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

THe 206 is a good car. Its one of the slowest depreciators in Ireland. My wife has one and she has never had a problem with it. Dont forget that we could have a 207 before the end of the year...

http://www.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=179461

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My wife has a '00 1.1L 206. Hasn't let her down once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stephen wrote:
    Well, since I passed my test the other day, i'm now getting affordable insurance quotes

Congratulations :)
    Stephen wrote:
    the pedals are small and really close together on a Pug 206, making them fairly unsuitable for someone with size 12 feet like myself, I'm now leaning towards the mark-II renault clios (i.e. 1998/99/00 models)

That's the end of the 206 on your shortlist then? I've driven mark II Clios as rentals and I liked the handling. Both were diesels though with plenty of torque
    stratos wrote:
    If your budget is tight I would go with a Jap car. I'v said it before I'll say it again, I'v see'n turnips with more presence

Agree. Although Stephen's quote was pretty good. I reckon you're fast approaching 30, Stephen? I started off with a few jap cars, the first being a Micra 1.0. Just stick with it, have no expensive nasty surprises that other cars might present, start saving for a real car and build up your NCB to the full
    stratos wrote:
    I wonder are we gonna' see the buy a 15 yr old m5 debate here again?

LOL, I hope not. See above for my advice if you ain't rich and at some point want to enjoy superior motoring for very affordable running costs :)

Nah, I'm 22. I have 2 years NCB as a named driver.

That's not the end of the 206 on my shortlist, no :) I'd like to actually sit in and try one before discounting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stephen wrote:
    Nah, I'm 22. I have 2 years NCB as a named driver.

That's not the end of the 206 on my shortlist, no :) I'd like to actually sit in and try one before discounting it.

That's a very good quote so! Proof that insurance is coming down big style? Fair play anyway. Go on and test drive the 206, although it's a bit girlie :p

Living in the sticks probably has a good effect on the premium too! The quote's from quinn direct. Hibernian refused to quote me - even though i've been the named driver on a hibernian policy for 2 years. weirdos!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi,

I had a 206 a few years ago, and thought it was a great car. Never had any problems with it. It is quite roomy for the driver, and I had no problems with the pedals (The 106 is a disaster in this regard). I think it's a great looking car, and would highly recommend.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

A friend of mine had one and he was 6'5" and had size 14 feet and he thought it was plenty roomy and never complained about the pedals being awkward for his feet.

From an aesthetic point of view, it's probably the best looker in that bracket of car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes but the 206 is a bit long in the tooth now, it has been around since 1998 and is now coming to the end of its life. The new 207 is just around the corner which looks even better from what I have seen. Will be much roomier, safer and the interior will be more modern.

As a used buy the 206 is a good car but as a new buy I would wait a little longer for the 207. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

I have a '02 1.1L 206 its a great car out of all the small cars there are I reckon it looks the best by far. It was my first car and I have to say I really like it, there was only one thing that struck me when I got it:
    The pedals are close together as mentioned by some posters and I don’t have big feet but i still find them close but you get used to it.

there is also the 206 pop art out since 2003 dont know if its any different though.

I will be buying used, around 98/99 age. cheers for the replies.

Advertisement