Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we make txtspk a bannable offence?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

I'll bet you'll find that those who hate it are either old (25+), poor at math, or both.

:rolleyes: muppet

i support the banning of fitzer666 and others, for their stupid childish habit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lump wrote:
    I might just add to the charters in forums that I mod saying that anyone using Text Speak...

...what?
    Lump wrote:
    Also.... all of the people in here giving out about it yet using the term "Txt Spk"

John

I used it to highlight how annoying the phenomenon is, whats your excuse??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Mordeth wrote:
    textspeak is not quick and easy, you are just slow and stupid.
    In fairness it is quick and easy to write, but slow and annoying to read. I just don't bother reading if I get one - and luckily all of my mates are >18yo and sensible (well, reasonably), so I don't get txtspk often :)

And ANYWAY, there's no excuse what with predictive text.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

This should definitely be a bannable offence. Mods have enough headaches as it is without having to translate to English from bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

yeah i kno it can be annoyin but its a bad habit and maybe we shud just start with warnings then bannage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

My phone predicts "text speak".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

dnt bn txt spk its gr8 is way fstr 4 tpin n esier 2 rd n sum ppl cn only tp n txt spk so wut bout dem???? it wudnt b fair. dey wudnt b abl 2 use brds.

[/reverse psychology]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I endorse this, heartily...ever so heartily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'll bet you'll find that those who hate it are either old (25+), poor at math, or both.

As a 16 year old honours level maths student, I'd just like to say you're an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well what about moderators adding the rule to their charters. txt spkr bnnd

or

txt spk l gt u bnnd or something

i find it very annoying anyway especianlly when using screen readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,550 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I am definitely behind this.

As was said earlier, there is no limit of 160 characters. Text speak makes posts very hard to read. Above all though, there is no need for it!

Perhaps bannings is too strong for it. Maybe edite/delete posts and explain to the poster why, persistant offenders get bans.

Another suggestion - How about leave it to the individual mods on forums to decide if it is acceptable or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

txt spk on this site has nothin 2 do with lack of space its a matter of wantin 2 type faster ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

If not a banning, then at the very least delete the post and send a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

here here! and while were at it can we ban people who use me and my wrong all the time too!!!

And then and than?

eg: I am cooler then you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

mods just add it to your charter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

*adele* wrote:
    txt spk on this site has nothin 2 do with lack of space its a matter of wantin 2 type faster ok?

ed;huEFkifeawiwpEFRGUIVSRB;JVB JKES \SOB;UXVDBJSV\D AWBOIGRSOH8SVD B\AEOIBVDSBOIS\DK JAEFF VZDIBOSEB;O\AEF JSFZFIBOVZD JB

Mashing the keyboard on this site has nothing to do with lack of space, its a matter of wanting to type faster, ok?

That or fat fingers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Good call!! :) I always use predictive text on my mobile. There should be a version of it for keyboard users. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

kleefarr wrote:
    Good call!! :) I always use predictive text on my mobile. There should be a version of it for keyboard users. :rolleyes:

OpenOfficeOrg has a system like that but I think it only predicts words you've used already in the document or that you use a lot so I'm sure it's possible.

It's incredibly irritating though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I'm so not used to text speak to the point it takes me some time to understand :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

This is the only time text speak is valid:

(for hilarity!)
    dad@hvn,
    urspshl.
    we want wot u want
    &urth2b like hvn.
    giv us food
    &4giv r sins
    lyk we 4giv uvaz.
    don't test us!
    save us!
    bcos we kno ur boss
    ur tuf
    &ur cool 4 eva!
    ok?

For those still in the dark, that was the "Our Father" in 160 characters :)

Any other usage of text speak IS FLAWED AND THE DEFORMED MINDSPAWN OF A RAVING DEGENERATE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

baboon6.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I wholeheartedly support this action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

mods just add it to your charter
    Its absolutely fine on some Boards....if they are largely populated wth Dyslexic ADD raddled teenagers for example ......and not on others .

Let the Mods themselves decide if their own Board should tolerate text speak or not as Billy said. A global ban is excessive.

IRC l33t w00t hax0r crap is equally moronic IMO .

^&*()_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

You're probably a really intelligent person, but the way you type makes you look like an illiterate fool (which I am sure you are not, I hasten to add). That's the biggest problem I have with the use of 'text speak' - it makes the user look uneducated.

Try using the English language even vaguely correctly and see how much extra time it takes to type. An extra two or three seconds per post, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

*adele* wrote:

If you want to type faster, learn the damn language and practice typing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I support this too

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Boards.ie, once an internet discussion forum, now the last champion of the English language. Well I'm for it. :) George Orwell himself never predicted the nightmare that unfolds before us. At least "Newspeak" was spelt properly.

Just from this thread alone, we've of people who are first against the wall:

fitzer666 - yes, definitely add "txt sk is a bannable offence to the Soccer forum charter, then ban the miscreant.
    *adele* - for refusing to repent
    col22
    monster_fighter - Strangely enough he was able to write properly in his post, but still chose to defend the dark side. Therefore he is a traitor and should receive a traitor's death :)

I hope NotMe was being sarcastic in his post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats text speak and please speak slowly....thanks.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

"txtspk" is for mobile phones. Not for anything else. Quit polluting the internet with your brain malfunction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement