Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we make txtspk a bannable offence?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

mike65 wrote:
    Whats text speak and please speak slowly....thanks.

Mike.

The following is a less extreme example of 'text speak'...
    txt spk on this site has nothin 2 do with lack of space its a matter of wantin 2 type faster ok?

What she meant to say was...
    Text Speak on this site has got nothing to do with lack of space. It is a matter of wanting to type faster. Do you understand?

Sadly, her time is too precious to waste on such trivial matters as not actually looking like somebody with literacy problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

shuddup u!he he he ironic!now do u really think that ppl dont get "ok"?it seems u have plenty of time tho so take a minute 2 pull ur head out of ur ass,ok? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i would like to add my support to therecklessone's idea :D

txt u 2moro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

shuddup u!he he he ironic!now do u really think that ppl dont get "ok"?it seems u have plenty of time tho so take a minute 2 pull ur head out of ur ass,ok?

What she was trying to say was...
    I say, could you please be quiet. How ironic! Now, do you really think that people do not understand the abbreviation, 'ok'? It would appear that you have plenty of time though, so please take a minute to remove your head from your anus, ok?

yay i have my own translator 2 follow me around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Do you think you're funny, adele?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭col22

dnt bn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭col22

:D dnt bn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

I support the idea of moderators making a decision on their forums to ban text speak or not. Personally, I'd ban it.

Communicating in English is hard enough for some people as it is. Text speak adds another hurdle to overcome just to read a thought on these boards. Combine that with no punctuation whatsoever and it's just alphabetic chaos. Most of us aren't going to take the time to translate it, and frankly, it's no fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Not only should we ban txtspk, but we should also encourage the sterilization of those who employ it.

• Advertisement

I can't even see the point of text speak in mobile phones anymore - most phones have predictive text input now. My Motorola phone automatically fills in the words as I type so I don't even have to type the whole word! Saves time and the result is perfectly readable.
    A former friend of mine used it all the time and I found it very hard to read her messages, but she always typed properly in e-mails or IM conversations. Still, any time I see someone use "txt spk" it reminds me of her and that alone isn't too nice. But that's a different topic, therefore a different forum.
    I'll bet you'll find that those who hate it are either old (25+), poor at math, or both.
    I hate it and I'm 5 years younger than your interpretation of "old". Maths has nothing to do with it. My monitor is hard enough on my eyes as it is and I don't need the additional strain of trying to decipher a message coded in "txt spk".

I know other boards which don't allow it so I'd have no problem with a ban being implemented here.

yea well if we're goin 2 ban it can we start with warnings so we can slowly get out of the bad habit?and no,no i dont think im funny! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

col22 wrote:
    :D dnt bn it

MUPPET - told you before look down its called a keyboard. "say it now k..e..y..b..o..a..r..d" - look at all those lovely letters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

embee wrote:
    Do you think you're funny, adele?

Well she is generally more entertaining that you...

he he he thanks!ok from now on i shall try not to use text speak,happy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not only should we ban txtspk, but we should also encourage the sterilization of those who employ it.
    Do you have a newsletter one can subscribe to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

*adele* wrote:
    he he he thanks!ok from now on i shall try not to use text speak,happy? :)

Good idea. incidently, I wasn't praising or defending you.

no problem,either way im happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

To quote George Foreman; "I'm so proud of it, I put my name on it".
    I agree it should be the mods choice, and shouldn't be an instant ban, maybe a two strikes and you're out.

yeah,that'd be better than instant banning because it could after all just be a typo(damn this non-text speak is hard)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

adele wrote:
    txt spk on this site has nothin 2 do with lack of space its a matter of wantin 2 type faster ok?
    If you want to type faster then learn to type. Also no-one's gonna take your posts seriously if you use txt.

I don't get the faster thing though. I suppose it's something you have to practise cos it took me 5 minutes to type this:
    NotMe wrote:
    dnt bn txt spk its gr8 is way fstr 4 tpin n esier 2 rd n sum ppl cn only tp n txt spk so wut bout dem???? it wudnt b fair. dey wudnt b abl 2 use brds.

adele wrote:
    he he he thanks!ok from now on i shall try not to use text speak,happy?
    Cool. Now you just need to learn capitalisation.

jaysus hunny,didnt anyone ever tell you that rome wasnt built in a day??!

Question, would it be possible to put in a filter, like the one for curses? So that every time someone uses obvious text language pieces like "txt" you could change it to "text" etc? Bit of work but if it annoys you enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Myth wrote:
    Question, would it be possible to put in a filter, like the one for curses? So that every time someone uses obvious text language pieces like "txt" you could change it to "text" etc? Bit of work but if it annoys you enough...

Dont see why the admins should have to do that.
    Mods could just ban people and get them to appreciate the fact the keyboard is right there instead of taking up time. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cant we just kill them it will work out a lot less messy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Would a ban on "txt speak" (which I wholeheartedly support) also include a ban for the use of : LOL, LMAO, AFAIK, IMO, NP (and so on)? I happen to like those shortforms (particularly Lol, and lmao) as I think they imply an emotion without having to be so obvious as to come out and say it, eg : That was funny, I am laughing out loud. Seems rather pedantic and plodding to do it that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, Doper Than You, those would be abreviations I do believe, and such, wouldn't be covered in a text speak blanket ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm for those who thinks that text speak is better to keep under 160 characters, isn't the whole point of sending a message to be short and sweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'd be all for a ban of text speak but if it did include the likes of LOL, I'd just see that as an excuse to post pictures representing the emotions you wish to express, like this one for LOL:

laugh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Thaed wrote:
    Cant we just kill them it will work out a lot less messy ?

True, and less expensive in the long run. Where's the box of syringes Amz was talking about?
    Oh yeah, take *adele* off the list. tongue.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement