Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site check - spoiltchild.com

Options
  • 29-01-2005 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I need to get this site out tomorrow but before i progress with the rest of the pages and pass the point of no return :) can you check out the new home page.
    Let me know what you think and any bugs you find.

http://www.spoiltchild.com/v2/

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

havnt checked for errors, just want to say very nice site. Looks good, and different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Good work, Alan. Short of ultra-picky source-code ordering, the only two things I'd recommend are:

1: Centre the content or move it left... it looks a bit off at 1280x1024. Looks great at 1024x768 though.
    2: Make it work @ 800x600 ... maybe with an alternate style for such resolutions?

But as I said, good work. Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Thanks guys. I think i will do a seperate style sheet at a later date. I cant let it centre itself as its a nightmare to line up the shadows with the background pattern. Had to match up everything in blocks of 50x50 pixels to match the background :)

This seems to be a problem a lot of people are having with CSS layouts (though I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it with pure tables). There HAS to be a way to sort this out...

Ah crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Looks very well...

Just a couple of mostly insignificant issues:
    1. Copyright year (very bottom of the page) should be 2005 not 2004.
    2. There's a slight font size difference in the text at the bottom of the page ('what we do' etc.) between FF1.0 and Safari 1.2 on Mac OS X.
    3. IE 5.2 (Mac OS X) the top navigation elements (Home, Design, etc.) are totally out of alignment ( they've jumped right to the top of the page). Also backgrounds don't work on these links.

PM me if you want screenshots.

• Advertisement

You can get everything to line up fine in Firefox... I'm experimenting with some stuff in IE right now to see if I can get it to line up. Unfortunately, IE has rounding bugs; these make a 1px alignment error half the time.

Right, I have a proof-of-concept done which works in IE5+ on the PC, Firefox and Safari. (IE5/Mac still exhibits the rounding bug, and I don't know how Opera will react as I haven't tested it on it).

Have a look at it here:
    http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~breach/csstest/

And the CSS:
    http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~breach/csstest/css/style.css

I'll be writing a tutorial on this tonight. It's interesting to note that this SHOULDN'T work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

That is very impressive JustHalf. I will definitely try to implement that.

Advertisement