Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Database - Data Normalization

Options
  • 29-01-2005 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

I am trying to do some data normalization for a website database and dont know what to do with a set of data

I will give you the background first ...
    The database will be updated on the web and i want users to have drop down menus where possible when creating records.

I want to create a database for personel, what i have in mind is when a user goes to create a record, they select the option in the menu for the record they are creating i.e. employee, client etc. .....now i dont know if i should choose to create on table with each person having a unique employee number and then their postion becasue their duties will change depending on their position.

or

Should i create a table for managers, trainers and employees

My problem is .... if the member of staff is a trainer, then i'd select trainer in the position menu, and then onto duties, ie. customer service training, sales training, application training.
    But if i create an employee then i dont want the option for training in the duties drop down, i just want sales, data entry, customer service etc.

This is probably a stupid question but one that i dont have the answer to. I dont know if i have explained this enough/correctly but i want avoid giving people the wrong options so do i need to have a seperate table for duties and other situations similar to this ??

Can anyone shine some light on this ??

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Give each employee a unique number. One column in the employee table will hold the position field whihc will contain their job position.
    There is no need as far as I can see to have separate tables for managers, trainers and employees. The position column looks after that.
    With regard to the drop down menus, is this on the web page? If so then just get your server side code (ASP/PHP or whatever) to look after that!

Advertisement