Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Ownership in Ireland.

Options
  • 29-01-2005 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

hey i am new in ireland! not irish my self but i like it here, what i discovered is this page in boards where i have been a member long time, can u own ur own gun in this country?? maybe i will own one some days ,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

hey i am new in ireland! not irish my self but i like it here, what i discovered is this page in boards where i have been a member long time, can u own ur own gun in this country?? maybe i will own one some days ,

Seems like a bit of an odd ambition... not American by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

Bah wrote:
    No! not american

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 crippledshutin

can u own ur own gun in this country?? maybe i will own one some days

Lol, most of us Americans would never say that as we already own guns, I'm afraid. I like the idea of there being LESS of the things to go around.

who is answring my qustion ??? americans or irish? maybe i nned to talk to some alians! i don't care who u are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Fish,
    Welcome to Ireland.Yes it is quite possible to own a gun here,although there are many people who are trying to make sure we dont own any! [Unlike my fellow American previous poster I would be in favour of us owning MORE of them,]

As this country does not have a right to keep and bear arms in its constitution like America[which many Americans are totally unappreciateive or embarrased of,just shows how spoilt we are over there these days].

Plus there are countries in the EU that own more guns per head of pouplation than America.

So therefore it is a privilidge not a right.It has taken us Irish shooters many years to try and reclaim our privilidge of owning certain guns.But do not be put off it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Just out of curiosity, where in the EU exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The ownership of firearms in Ireland is strictly regulated. There are around 220,000 firearms held on firearms certificates.

If you're interested in taking up shooting talk to your local Gardai about applying for a licence.

Hope this helps.

civdef wrote:
    The ownership of firearms in Ireland is strictly regulated. There are around 220,000 firearms held on firearms certificates.

If you're interested in taking up shooting talk to your local Gardai about applying for a licence.

Hope this helps.
    so get a licence and u can get a gun?? that is stunning new for my family! this place is not safe let's move out of space!

Just out of curiosity, where in the EU exactly

Denmark, if i remember correctly and Finland.
    Whilst not in the EU,but in Europe Switzerland beats the USA on privately owned firearms per capita in private ownership.[That is excluding as well the military issue rifles that every swiss soilder keeps at home with 200 rounds of sealed ammo].Not only that it is the only other country outside the US that allows mere civillians to posses full auto weapons,depending on which canton you live in.

so get a licence and u can get a gun?? that is stunning new for my family! this place is not safe let's move out of space!

Gee Fish,that is a quick turnaround from your last post. Couple of posts ago you were thinking of getting one.You are right this place isnt safe.No where in the world is really safe.Some places are safer than others,ireland is becoming less safe than what it was,but that has little if anything to do with the availability or not, of guns.remember we have had the toughest gun laws in the world here for the last 35 years because of northern Ireland,yet it has done little to prevent the rise of armed crime.
    But if you think getting a liscense is just a question of asking and walking out the door of the Garda station with it.That doesnt happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes:
    I'm beginning to detect a wind up here. You sound like Boris -whats-his name
    ,the guy who winds up minor celebs on t.v.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

recipio wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    I'm beginning to detect a wind up here. You sound like Boris -whats-his name
    ,the guy who winds up minor celebs on t.v.

True. I don't mind a civil, intelligent debate on firearms ownership - both sides benefit from such - but cheap wind-ups are just time-wasting. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement